12-05-2015, 06:09 AM
User Info
How do you know when it is time to re-hone a straight razor? I have been told to re-hone when the blade pulls or tugs, but as a new SR shaver, it is difficult to tell whether the blade is pulling or my technique is incorrect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 15
 12-05-2015, 07:51 AM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 06:09 AM)ncardio Wrote: How do you know when it is time to re-hone a straight razor? I have been told to re-hone when the blade pulls or tugs, but as a new SR shaver, it is difficult to tell whether the blade is pulling or my technique is incorrect?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How many shaves have you on that particular edge? You bring up a very valid point about not knowing if the edge is tugging or if your technique may be to blame. How long have you been SR shaving? Have you been using the strop and could you share your strop routine please?

More information is needed please.

Frank

2 229
 12-05-2015, 07:58 AM
User Info
I have about 10-12 shaves on the edge. I have been SR shaving for less than one month. I strop with the SRD lade strop, 20 on the linen and then 40 on the leather before shaving. I try to use light pressure when stopping. Hope this helps. The razor cuts fine. My shaves are so so, but more due to beginners bad technique. So I was just curious about when to send it for re-honing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

0 15
 12-05-2015, 08:12 AM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 07:58 AM)ncardio Wrote: I have about 10-12 shaves on the edge. I have been SR shaving for less than one month. I strop with the SRD lade strop, 20 on the linen and then 40 on the leather before shaving. I try to use light pressure when stopping. Hope this helps. The razor cuts fine. My shaves are so so, but more due to beginners bad technique. So I was just curious about when to send it for re-honing.

You may be ready for a touch up after a dozen shaves as a novice. And I say that because I was a novice two years ago myself! What is your blade to face angle? Are you laying the spine flat on your face and then lifting slightly? Are you experiencing tugging on the WTG and ATG? Or, just the ATG strokes? our angle of attack may be a bit steep. What is the grind of your straight? Full hollows can get a little "chattery" on the beard and feel like tugging a bit earlier. If you are running a wedge, then more than likely you are due for a touch up. Do you have a pasted strop? Or, perhaps a strop treated with .25 or .50 micron diamond spray? Either would work for you to simply touch up your edge.

If you are in the US and can part with your razor for a week, I would be happy to look at it for you and get you back up and running smoothly. You pay postage both ways.

Let me know,

Frank

2 229
 12-05-2015, 02:18 PM
User Info
I touch up when the razors no longer take a great shaving edge on my pasted strops.  I usually get about 6-7 shaves before I may have to touch up the edge on a 12k Naniwa.  Then it is minimal touch up of maybe 10 "X" strokes then finish off on a CroMox pasted leather paddle then to the leather strop prior to shaving.

0 413
 12-05-2015, 04:42 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
If my shaves are comfortable I leave the edge alone. No pressure shaving is what we all preach. When you feel a razor needs some Umph to get hair cut it needs to be honed. I do tend to touch my razors up after about 10 to 15 shaved. But that will vary by razor and by shaver. 

Once you have good technique you will know when to send it in. Until then, shave until it starts getting slightly uncomfortable. Not uncomfortable, just slightly.

7 438
 01-05-2016, 09:11 PM
User Info
A touch up with chromium oxide is sufficient.  You should never have to do a full re-hone with bevel setting unless you damage the blade somehow.  12K hone, coticle, JNAT work as well.

21 1,640
 01-27-2016, 04:16 AM
User Info
I don't use any type of pasted strop I nornally just go to a high finisher like an Apache, JNAT or similar when linen/leather don't work and since I am a honing junkie going to the the finisher is almost a daily deal as I am always chasing that laser sharp edge.

6 1,255
 01-27-2016, 07:39 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Take a look at the Lynn Abrams video on touching up a razor. Most of your questions will be answered, as well as a demonstration of the many touch up options already described.

38 5,030
 01-27-2016, 08:43 AM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 07:58 AM)ncardio Wrote: I have about 10-12 shaves on the edge. I have been SR shaving for less than one month. I strop with the SRD lade strop, 20 on the linen and then 40 on the leather before shaving. I try to use light pressure when stopping. Hope this helps. The razor cuts fine. My shaves are so so, but more due to beginners bad technique. So I was just curious about when to send it for re-honing.

I would say a touch up time for that razor.

0 413