07-07-2012, 01:32 PM
User Info
I recently read that open comb razors are better for guys with ingrown hairs. I have been using at EJ 89 with barley handle for the last several months. I like its feel and the shaves are great. But I do still get ingrown hairs on my neck. My beard is curly, but not heavy. I was also told that my skin is slightly sensitive. That is clearing up now because I'm using the AoS cream for it. But now I'm looking into an open comb razor to ensure that I can avoid them in the future.

I would like to know the opinions of my fellow wet shavers as to which would be a better razor for me. I have been looking at the Merkur 41C "1904" as one possibility. It seems good and the price is right, and it is not too aggressive (which I don't think I need for my beard). The Fatip Grande is another razor I'm considering, but it might be too aggressive (?). If the Muhle R41 is really worth the higher price, I suppose I could do that one should you all convince me that it is the one to use.

So I'm open to suggestions and in need of your guidance. Please help this priest keep a clean traditional look [I'd like a black and white photo of me to be easily thought of as being from the 40s Biggrin]. Thanks!

0 53
 07-07-2012, 02:01 PM
User Info
(07-07-2012, 01:32 PM)PadreTex Wrote: I recently read that open comb razors are better for guys with ingrown hairs. I have been using at EJ 89 with barley handle for the last several months. I like its feel and the shaves are great. But I do still get ingrown hairs on my neck. My beard is curly, but not heavy. I was also told that my skin is slightly sensitive. That is clearing up now because I'm using the AoS cream for it. But now I'm looking into an open comb razor to ensure that I can avoid them in the future.

I would like to know the opinions of my fellow wet shavers as to which would be a better razor for me. I have been looking at the Merkur 41C "1904" as one possibility. It seems good and the price is right, and it is not too aggressive (which I don't think I need for my beard). The Fatip Grande is another razor I'm considering, but it might be too aggressive (?). If the Muhle R41 is really worth the higher price, I suppose I could do that one should you all convince me that it is the one to use.

So I'm open to suggestions and in need of your guidance. Please help this priest keep a clean traditional look [I'd like a black and white photo of me to be easily thought of as being from the 40s Biggrin]. Thanks!

Padre, you might want to look at Vintage Gillette OCs. They are not very expensive which provides you value while you see if OCs are right for you.

1 2,827
 07-07-2012, 04:30 PM
User Info
OCs are nice, but other than aesthetics I don't think they shave significantly different than safety bars. The difference is more to do with the varying degrees of flex placed on the blade, the gap beneath the blade (on those OCs that have a gap) and the amount of blade that is covered/supported by the razor head. If you get ingrowns on your neck, try using only a single pass WTG on your neck. Trying to get too close a shave can cause ingrowns. Otherwise, perhaps the Gillette "old" where the blade rests directly on the comb may be a good choice. You give up closeness to avoid ingrowns...

Good luck!

3 195
 07-07-2012, 04:44 PM
User Info
OC's are not better for ingrowns. Use good lubricating lather, no pressure, moisturize and have a non-curly beard. Those things help prevent ingrowns.

2 697
 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I switched from carts to DE's in an effort to combat ingrown hairs. The ingrowns would form sebaceous cysts and would have to be cut out of my neck by a surgeon.

With DE razors, ingrowns were substantially reduced, but not irradiated. Since switching to OC I have had NO ingrowns. The safety bar razor (IN MY EXPERIENCE) can flatten the individual hair follicles causing them to lay flat against the skin. The combs on the OC assist in scooping the individual follicles in to an upright position lessening the chance of ingrowns.

Any OC razor (IMO) is going to help reduce the risk of ingrowns.

91 17,846
 07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Keep in mind the whole premise behind ingrown hairs is inflammation of the skin/pore surrounding the offending follicle, not necessarily shaving too closely or BBS. For example, when you pluck a hair completely out, does it cause an ingrown hair when the new one grows? No, it does not. When a hair is cut short enough to drop below the surface of the skin, it is the irritation and ultimately the inflammation of the follicle itself that later traps the same hair that is trying to grow out again.

Open combs excel for guys that have whiskers growing flat against the skin. As Ben pointed out, they help lift the flat lying hairs into the blade path. This and a good lather/lathering that lifts them up off the skin surface are paramount to getting a close shave with this type of hair growth. Swirling hair patterns around the neck are a perfect example of this. I feel with straights, the stretching and pulling creates the same effect by lifting those hairs into the cutting path.

135 1,946
 07-07-2012, 08:59 PM
User Info
Always preferred an open comb, as you get more of a sense of the angle of the blade. The Merkur 11C, weighing 75g, has sadly been discontinued, and holds the blade directly on the OC, like the Gillette "old." I believe the Merkur "1904" model also holds the blade directly on the OC, as does the 15C, both of these being slightly lighter. These are to be distinguished from the Gillette "new" which had a space between the blade and OC, leading to more aggression. The Superior Shave has both the "1904" and the 15C for sale. Given the choice between a Merkur "1904" and the 15C, it's pretty much up in the air for me, although aesthetics and increased weight might make me side with the "1904." So the question remains, which would be more typically 1940s? Your choice here. Good luck.

0 67
 07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
User Info
The Merkur Model 41 1904 OC is a great choice as your first open comb, along with helping with ingrown hairs.

One of the main reasons for me to switch to open comb razors was the frequent problem I had from carts that cuased extreme ingrown hair outbreaks.

This worked for me, it may not work for. I used only open combs for each shave for 30 days. At he same time I started using Alum block as a rub after each shave, not to stop bleeding, but for it's antibacterial properties.

Now that my skin is clear of any ingrown hairs I find any razor that I now use keeps me ingrown free.

This was my skin before
[Image: face01.jpg]

And here is my skin today
[Image: Arley-MonsterVision.jpg]

So although others may question the effectiveness of open combs with aiding in the reduction of ingrown hair, for me, it has cured me.

Good luck in your search on finding what is right for you.

5 833
 07-08-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
well even though my brother Arley looks all pimpin in this 70's shades...I can tell you it made dramatic improvements for his skin.

Being twins we have similar issues, though not identical. My neck was always sensitive, and ingrown hairs could be a issue.
Switching to OC I no longer have ANY of the issues I used to experience. I can achieve BBS with ZERO irritation.

I find that OC do lift and seperate the hair, while also allowing more slippery lather goodness to slip onto the blade give me better lubrication.

For me, I will never go bad to guard bar razors again

0 66
 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
Father, you should head over to BOTOC thread.

Ken you should send the good father the 1904 OC to try out.

5 833
 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM
User Info
Padre, Arley and Ken know of what they speak. My only thought is that you probably don't need something like the Fatip head, found on a number of OCs. The Fatip is in my opinion on the more aggressive end. The Merkur heads are moderate. I don't think you can go wrong there. Look for a Gillette 'old type' or maybe the bit milder 'new'. iKon has a great OC (if you can find one).

I have a fairly mild OC Goodfella that you can borrow, just PM me.

And oh, by the way, OCs are about all I use anymore. Wink

2 546
 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
User Info
I'd like to thank all of you for your comments. They were helpful to me in helping me make a decision. I ordered (from Phil) the Merkur 41c 1904 OC and the Fatip Grande. I try them with the same blades I've been using first (Persona red) and then with some of the Feather blades I just ordered.

I can't wait until Thursday now to get the new razor and begin some experimenting! Thanks, guys, ya'll have helped out a lot.

0 53
 07-09-2012, 12:36 PM
User Info
The Merkur 41c is a mild razor among the OC's. I'm sure you will like it! I surely do!

2 5,531
 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
User Info
Find out what an ingrown is here.

Can someone explain to me why an OC would work any better than a closed comb or safety bar razor so as not to cut the whisker off below the skin surface?

32 6,309
 07-09-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
Holy crap! There's twins on this board. Does YMMV count if the other person is a twin?!

0 120
 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
(07-09-2012, 02:34 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Find out what an ingrown is here.

Can someone explain to me why an OC would work any better than a closed comb or safety bar razor so as not to cut the whisker off below the skin surface?

For me, I can get a closer shave with an OC than any razors that own. I think that it has to do with me being more aware of my technique. I just shave better with OC's.

I think most shavers can develop better technique by using open combs, but I am a BOTOC Evangelist Cool

(07-09-2012, 03:08 PM)Bittermormon Wrote: Holy crap! There's twins on this board. Does YMMV count if the other person is a twin?!

You bet it does. Although Ken LOVES the R41, I avidly preach against that beast!!!

I love SE's, especially my beloved 1912's and G-Bar, while believes the are the worst.

We do agree on Open Combs, brushes, blades, creams, and soaps. Our after have taste is completely different, as I prefer cheap drug store brands over designer or boutique brands.

5 833
 07-14-2012, 06:23 AM
User Info
(07-07-2012, 01:32 PM)PadreTex Wrote: I recently read that open comb razors are better for guys with ingrown hairs. I have been using at EJ 89 with barley handle for the last several months. I like its feel and the shaves are great. But I do still get ingrown hairs on my neck. My beard is curly, but not heavy. I was also told that my skin is slightly sensitive. That is clearing up now because I'm using the AoS cream for it. But now I'm looking into an open comb razor to ensure that I can avoid them in the future.

Hi Padre,

I've created a thread on this very topic before, so you might want to browse around this thread to see if you get any different answers.

I don't think I've gotten any ingrowns as of late. I'm still struggling with some razor burn and bumps on my neck, but no ingrowns that I know of.

for me, I think it's just technique and better face prep that helped out a lot.

for my OCs: I have a gillette new, a gillette old and a merkur 41C, I believe. good luck in your search to find a better shave!

40 5,830
 07-14-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
i would have to agree that since switching to OCs, that i have never gotten an ingrown hair, but YMMV.

75 20,883
 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM
User Info
I like the aesthetics of the Merkur Model 41 1904 OC, but are there any similar razors with longer handles? I currently own a classic Gillette OC with long teeth, but I'm wondering if the short teeth would work better with my in-growns?

1 168
 07-16-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
(07-16-2012, 03:47 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: I like the aesthetics of the Merkur Model 41 1904 OC, but are there any similar razors with longer handles? I currently own a classic Gillette OC with long teeth, but I'm wondering if the short teeth would work better with my in-growns?

The Merkur 12C is nice:
[Image: 12C.jpg]

As is the Merkur 25C:
[Image: mk-15c-classic-safety-razor-open-comb.jpg]

5 833