12-05-2015, 01:24 PM
User Info
Some of who make soap please help me understand something. Its been bothering me for awhile.

Many companies that made soap or cream went out of business or changed formulas. Many fans of the old unavailable scents and soaps pay big money to find old stock online.
I think that when folks are willing to oay 10-20 for a 30 year old puck of williams or colgte or burmashave soap or cream you have the oppirtunity for a worthehile venture.
Ive been tempted to buy shave seys from the 50s just for an unopened stick of colgate. But the value isnt there.

But a puck made this werk that duplicates the formila and scenting of burma shave or williams cream. Id be willing to spend my moNey.

0 157
 12-05-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
I think for the most part the guys searching for and paying those prices for that old stuff are chasing nostalgia. Honestly, the present days artisans are producing soaps and creams that blow the old stuff away.

0 114
 12-05-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
There are already enough copycats in the market as it is.

160 1,037
 12-05-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 03:25 PM)JHamel Wrote: I think for the most part the guys searching for and paying those prices for that old stuff are chasing nostalgia. Honestly, the present days artisans are producing soaps and creams that blow the old stuff away.
Respectfully disagree. Vintage Williams and AOS were then---and continue to be magnificent soaps. YMMV...etc. etc.

39 3,919
 12-05-2015, 03:40 PM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 03:29 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 03:25 PM)JHamel Wrote: I think for the most part the guys searching for and paying those prices for that old stuff are chasing nostalgia. Honestly, the present days artisans are producing soaps and creams that blow the old stuff away.
Respectfully disagree. Vintage Williams and AOS were then---and continue to be magnificent soaps. YMMV...etc. etc.

I understand what you are saying. In some instances the old formulations might be better than the new for certain products. I've got a couple of Vintage Williams myself and while they may be marginally better than the current, my opinion is that neither is very special.

0 114
 12-05-2015, 03:40 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info

I agree. I've been wet shaving for 53 years, and for the most part, much prefer many of the newer soaps. The exception is some of the classic soaps that stopped using tallow. Now, there is nothing wrong with nostalgia, which is why I enjoy using a 100+ year-old straight, in addition to straights made by modern day artisans.

38 5,109
 12-05-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 03:40 PM)evnpar Wrote:

I agree. I've been wet shaving for 53 years, and for the most part, much prefer many of the newer soaps. The exception is some of the classic soaps that stopped using tallow. Now, there is nothing wrong with nostalgia, which is why I enjoy using a 100+ year-old straight, in addition to straights made by modern day artisans.
+1
I'm a dinosaur anyway... Biggrin

39 3,919
 12-05-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info

I would agree for the most part, but I would never part with my stash of vintage Yardley shave soap as I think it performs as well or better than any modern soap I've tried.

8 845
 12-05-2015, 04:00 PM
User Info
i get a great shave with the current form of Williams, I always read how people get much happier shaves with the vintage Williams and ae paying 10-20 for a single 20-30 year old puck. The problem is that there is no sane way to safely get vintage Williams reliably. ive seen the current product listed as vintage...

Sure the current crop of artisans do have the ability to put out interesting soap. some have the ability buy soap base unscented in large amounts and do signature scents. ive talked to a well loved artisan soap vendor via email about getting unscented base from him. he simply said "end money now and ill be happy to set some aside from my next delivery before I add scents"

Everybody seems to be putting out the same scents, at the same time. I read a post on here today of how a guy was flabbergasted at a new soap that he tried because it was the first "fougere" that wasn't candy coated crap that smelled like all the others. And that is why I think the scents at least need to be brought back.

SOME of the scents sound interesting until I start getting detailed descriptions of everything in it. NO offense intended, we all like different things, but a "simple" summer scent shouldn't be the dr pepper flavoring list turned into the equivalent fruit scents.

I have chemical allergies, many people do. A lot of the more "loved" scent offerings would have me on my knees puking with a migraine. Ive discovered small doses of Lea classic cream is ok, to much and migraine ally. mainly from the sandalwood and oak moss. Razorock classic cream is really nice smell wise, cheery almond that dissipates FAST. but the shave experience is lacking in ways.

A year ago I went into a local high end store and played with scents. Thought about trying a cologne. they had the ralph lauren line. So I played around and didn't like any on their own. In the end I mixed 3 of them together into something I liked a lot. but the problem is twofold. the cost of three bottles was nearly 250 before tax. And the combination I liked actually had people fleeing the store. They had the front doors open for the rest of the day to help air the fumes out.

0 157
 12-05-2015, 04:38 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(12-05-2015, 03:29 PM)primotenore Wrote: Respectfully disagree. Vintage Williams and AOS were then---and continue to be magnificent soaps. YMMV...etc. etc.

I'm with you Primo...coincidentally I just used the old AoS Sandalwood for tonight's shave and it was nothing short of phenomenonal.

There are some vintage products that are overhyped IMO, but there are also some gems that still hold their own...

34 1,628
 12-05-2015, 05:15 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-05-2015, 03:48 PM)Dinder1 Wrote: I would agree for the most part, but I would never part with my stash of vintage Yardley shave soap as I think it performs as well or better than any modern soap I've tried.

+1
I used my Yardley Black Label soap about 4 days ago and it blew my mind (again).

59 2,818
 12-05-2015, 05:16 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-05-2015, 04:38 PM)Giorgio Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 03:29 PM)primotenore Wrote: Respectfully disagree. Vintage Williams and AOS were then---and continue to be magnificent soaps. YMMV...etc. etc.

I'm with you Primo...coincidentally I just used the old AoS Sandalwood for tonight's shave and it was nothing short of phenomenonal.

There are some vintage products that are overhyped IMO, but there are also some gems that still hold their own...

+1 for both!

59 2,818
 12-05-2015, 05:17 PM
User Info
But some current things seem overhyped on the market right now.

0 157
 12-05-2015, 05:21 PM
User Info
The Art of Shaving was founded in 1996. If we're calling that vintage, then I need to file for my AARP membership  Biggrin (Valobra has been around since 1903 however)

Williams on the other hand has been around since 1840.

Soap has been produced since at least 2800 BCE if not earlier. Both arguments are silly - that older products have nothing to offer, or that newer products can't possibly be improvements.

16 1,027
 12-05-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
if people are able to threaten boycotts when dunkin donuts threatens to change a recipe don't we have the same rights?

0 157
 12-05-2015, 06:28 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(12-05-2015, 05:21 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Williams on the other hand has been around since 1840.

No wonder my puck is beginning to lose it's scent!

38 5,109
 12-06-2015, 04:08 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I feel some of the older tallow soaps are worth it. 

For example, the older tallow versions of Floris, Penhaligon's and AOS.  I think that a current restriction on certain ingredients may make duplication of these soaps difficult.  To me, they are wonderful soaps with scents that I love and I am actively seeking them out.  It's not that current artisans do not make a good soap...they do.  I like to have both.  Why not?  The best of the old and the best of the new!

168 1,386
 12-06-2015, 04:44 AM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 05:21 PM)crazindndude Wrote: The Art of Shaving was founded in 1996. If we're calling that vintage, then I need to file for my AARP membership  Biggrin (Valobra has been around since 1903 however)

Williams on the other hand has been around since 1840.

Soap has been produced since at least 2800 BCE if not earlier. Both arguments are silly - that older products have nothing to offer, or that newer products can't possibly be improvements.
Vintage does not = antique. It means a time when something of quality was produced.

39 3,919
 12-06-2015, 05:05 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have used a shave stick of vintage Williams where the scent was gone but the easily produced lather was just super. If modern Williams would perform like that they would have a real nice shave soap. Yardley is another superb performing vintage shave soap. Mine still has some scent left in it.

OTH there are so many great preforming modern shave soaps that I really do not bother looking for vintage ones. If I wanted a classic scented shave soap I'd use a Palmolive shave stick or Tabac. Heck, dare I say it, even Arko.

Bob

0 1,694
 12-06-2015, 12:48 PM
User Info
Like palmolive ive read reviews on other sites on how the current scent and soap recipe is not the same as 10 years ago. And how the olf 30 year old palmolive is vastly different.

I admit we see good commercial anf artisan soaps but i miss the old stuff. Id like to be able to use the same saop the original owner of my super adjustable. 53 tech ild type and new improved used.

0 157