12-05-2015, 03:08 PM
User Info
I enjoy a cup of coffee.
A GOOD cup og Coffee.

Don't really see the need for all that sh*t with French Press, Mocca you there and Mocca you here..........just need a solid good strong cup of Coffee with cream/milk and a perhaps a little siroup.

But I'm not a coffee geek/nerd, like I am with so many other things, like clothing, fragrances, computers, music and everything shaving related.

I just enjoy a cup of coffee, preferably drink 5-8 large cups a day.

I dislike instant coffee.

The Nescafe Dolce Gusto is used 3-4 times a day, and it's acceptable quality coffe my for taste.

I however much prefer to grind my coffee beans and make the coffe on my trusty Moccamaster coffemachine.
 I use a very cheap $15 coffee grinder, that according to many ruins the flavour of the beans because of the uneven way it grinds the beans, not once but several times.
I still however am very satisfied with the quality of coffee I get from it.

Far far superios to everything else I drink, be it at work, at University, at the local bars and coffee shops in the Copenhagen area - even at the 2 Hotels I often stay in !! (I work for two hotels, both have a professional expresso machine worth $12,000 - I honestly feel, when I grind my own coffee with my $15 cheap grinder, that supposedly 'ruins' the beans by grinding them uneven and several times, and make the coffee on my Moccamaster coffe machine, that the taste of the coffee I get from that in my home kitchen can stand up against the result I get from even the $10,000 expresso machine in our hotel (not kidding you here, I love and praise high quality in taste as well in engineering and end products)

Once I use some of my favorite coffe beans, and no they don't need to be that expensive (typically I use beans that cost $6-8 for 300 gram coffee beans), I feel I get a far better cup of coffee, than what I can taste even on very good coffee bars in the Copenhagenm area.

I have used Illy beans, and they do give me a better stronger more mocca like taste - but I don't feel it's worth the $10 price tag for 250 gram to be honest, compared to what I can get quite easily shopping around locally for half that price.

What would you advice me to do here ?

I consider getting the Nespresso Maestria machine, what would bet against that instead of getting a better coffee grinder and a real expresso machine ?

My budget would be $2,000-$2,500 total.

Thank you, guys !

24 5,680
 12-05-2015, 03:18 PM
User Info
So if you are happy with what your using right now, why change?  I think you will be over spending, but by all means.

I come from a family of coffee growers and all I need for a good cup of coffee is good beans, good water, and a good strain.  All those expensive machines don't do anything that I can't accomplish with the way my family has made coffee for generations.  Those are very convenient, but to me coffee is an experience and a pleasure, so speed is not necessary.

Good luck!

61 3,796
 12-05-2015, 03:24 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Good advice Hector. 
Claus it sounds like your enjoying the way your coffee tastes now.

59 4,194
 12-05-2015, 03:26 PM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 03:18 PM)hrfdez Wrote: So if you are happy with what your using right now, why change?  I think you will be over spending, but by all means.

I come from a family of coffee growers and all I need for a good cup of coffee is good beans, good water, and a good strain.  All those expensive machines don't do anything that I can't accomplish with the way my family has made coffee for generations.  Those are very convenient, but to me coffee is an experience and a pleasure, so speed is not necessary.

Good luck!

Do you use anything special for grinding the beans ?

Do you feel it's necessary to spend more on the grinder ?

24 5,680
 12-05-2015, 03:32 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I am not familiar with the Nepresso Maestro machine. But if it is a pod machine my advice is to avoid it like the plague. Pod machines are even worse than cart razors. The pods contain ground beans not vacuum packed. The beans could be of any age. Considering coffee starts to degrade as soon as 18 seconds after being ground you can easily see the problem with pods. 
I repeat the general rule of thumb is to start with a good grinder and build from there. I don't know what is available in Denmark but a good entry level grinder would be a Rocky or it's equivalent

66 1,026
 12-05-2015, 03:49 PM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 03:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 03:18 PM)hrfdez Wrote: So if you are happy with what your using right now, why change?  I think you will be over spending, but by all means.

Good luck!

If you really want to enjoy the experience, get a nice manual grinder. But, for efficiency 
purposes, a good electrical grinder would be a good start.

This is my favorite,

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/...5527542303

61 3,796
 12-05-2015, 04:13 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
For every day brewed coffee, I am extremely happy with my Baratza Preciso burr grinder (~$300) coupled with a Clever dripper (~$30) or Aeropress (~$30). Using the beans of your choice, ground just before brewing, I imagine you won't be disappointed. And should you venture into coffee geekdum, that set up should still suit your tastes.

From answering you in the other thread, you can guess that I am a firm believer in a good grinder. However, for now maybe skip the grinder since you are happy with yours and perhaps try one or both of those brewing methods. Both of those methods are simple, basic, and cheap yet for me they yield excellent results...maybe they might surprise you and you actually like one of them

34 1,628
 12-05-2015, 04:42 PM
User Info
Burr grinder (mine is from MrCoffee) and an AeroPress. The AeroPress may not be ideal for how much you drink, but it is the best cup of coffee I think you can make with only minimal investment. And like you said, it can even rival thousand dollar machines.

31 7,998
 12-05-2015, 04:59 PM
User Info
Think I'm buying an Aeopress to start out with and then found this set for $100 - is this grinder okay for the money ?

[Image: QJaPVs0.jpg]

24 5,680
 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(12-05-2015, 04:59 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Think I'm buying an Aeopress to start out with and then found this set for $100 - is this grinder okay for the money ?

For the money, it would definitely be a decent upgrade as it seems to be a conical burr grinder. Try and find some reviews if you can especially regarding grind quality and longevity of the machine...I have never heard of that brand here in the US, sorry I couldn't be of more help. For your purposes it should be sufficient. But again, if you are happy with yours, why not try the Aeropress first and see how you like it? You can upgrade your grinder later, after you got used to the Aeropress and then you will truly be able to see the difference a grinder makes.

34 1,628
 12-05-2015, 08:54 PM
User Info
Claus, the Aeropress is fun to play with and makes great coffee but your Technivorm is already pretty much a top of the line machine.  Like everyone else, i'd recommend a better grinder. The grinder pictured above seems to be a rebranded Capresso, which is good for drip, but in the same price range (very slightly more) you can get a Baratza Encore. Baratza sells replacement parts on their web site which may make it a better buy, long term. I can tell you by experience that they stand by their products.  The Baratza Precisio mentionned by Giorgio is an excellent grinder. It's more expensive but maybe a bit more future proof in the sense that it is much more flexible than the Encore for espresso grinds.

The issue with the blade grinder is that you will get larger chunks and also very fine particles. Your coffee can't taste as good because it is not extracted evenly.

0 72
 12-06-2015, 03:35 AM
User Info
The Technivorm Moccamaster is a pretty good machine, if you like this style of brewing and taste, stay with it.

Do try really fresh roasted beans, this will make a hell of a difference.
Forget about Illy and all supermarket stuff.
When they are on the shelves, they are usually months old.
Big brand coffees get roasted fast at high temp to save time and money.
This results in much more acids in your coffee than lower temp longer time roasting.
Try small mail order roasters in your country, buy small batches and use them up in less than 4 weeks.
Small roasters will give you coffee roasted maybe a week ago.
Maybe you will prefer the taste of Illy, but do give it a try.
And do tell us Smile

Give truly decent burr grinder a try, maybe you will like that, too.
When you try one, try different setting of particle size.

I have to admit being a coffee nerd (coffee, hifi & car being much more important as wet shaving...), but I did not start this hobby much different than you.

Lousy espresso from megabuck pro machines: this is more probable than good coffee, as making espresso needs know how.
There are many ways to ruin an espresso when making it.
I once dined at one of Munich's best restaurants, Tantris.
They made espresso with decent Vits beans (nice Munich roaster) with a big ECM espresso machine ... lousy coffeeSad

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

0 155
 12-06-2015, 06:07 AM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 03:49 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 03:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Good luck!

If you really want to enjoy the experience, get a nice manual grinder. But, for efficiency 

This is my favorite,

could you please recommend a great manual grinder!

7 1,624
 12-06-2015, 07:52 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-06-2015, 06:07 AM)tonsorius Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 03:49 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 03:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Do you use anything special for grinding the beans ?

This is my favorite,

could you please recommend a great manual grinder!

For manual grinder Zassenhaus is the standard all manual grinders are compared to.

66 1,026
 12-06-2015, 03:37 PM
User Info
thanks barry. i do have a large zassenhaus grinder for my black periyar pepper, so if i can expect the same decent quality, then it will be promising Smile

7 1,624
 12-06-2015, 06:38 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Thought you might be interested. Some of my Zass collection.
[Image: lrOCucQ.jpg]

66 1,026
 12-06-2015, 07:33 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Very nice collection Barry.

34 1,628
 12-06-2015, 11:09 PM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 06:38 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Thought you might be interested. Some of my Zass collection.
[Image: lrOCucQ.jpg]

oh you nerd - fantastic! Bow

7 1,624
 12-07-2015, 05:39 AM
User Info
Very nice collection Barry!

61 3,796
 12-07-2015, 05:47 AM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 03:35 AM)apogee Wrote: The Technivorm Moccamaster is a pretty good machine, if you like this style of brewing and taste, stay with it.
Lousy espresso from megabuck pro machines: this is more probable than good coffee, as making espresso needs know how.
There are many ways to ruin an espresso when making it.
I once dined at one of Munich's best restaurants, Tantris.
They made espresso with decent Vits beans (nice Munich roaster) with a big ECM espresso machine ... lousy coffeeSad

Without wanting to hijack the OP's thread, I've never made espresso at home. I've only had restaurant/diner stuff. I'm thinking of getting a small, easy to use machine for home. Maybe an Ascaso Basic or Ascaso Dream? Any opinions on this as a first machine?

0 72