12-05-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
Ok so I've had a bunch of mail calls past month new products I've never used and had a horrible shave few weeks ago. I have super sensitive skin so and cuts or razor irration takes forever to go away. I've tried going a few days without shaving but I noticed it gets worse then just shaving everyday. Any ideas or does anyone else have this issue not sure what's the best route to take to clear up my fave and go back to my BBS shaves with no issues. Thanks

9 270
 12-05-2015, 07:36 PM
User Info
If you are new to this, be patient and pay attention to your technique. Put some lather on your face without shaving and see if your skin reacts to it. That is to select a soap/cream that works for  your skin. Don't try new products yet. 
If you have experience and got bbs shaves before but for some reason you have been getting razor burn, I recommend a reset: go back to your most reliable soap/cream, razor and a fresh blade.  
Some general recomendations:
Don't use alchohol AS or alum. Prefer balms and alcohol free witch hazel, if you have used them without issues in the past. 
Use moisturizer every now and them since the skin tends to get dry in the winter.
Use cold water. 
Good luck.

8 1,210
 12-05-2015, 08:52 PM
User Info
Excellent advice given, above. Also, you may want to consider using unrefined shea butter as a balm after your shaves to alleviate any burn or irritation.

It just seems like you may be applying too much pressure trying to achieve a BBS. Why not just try for a good and comfortable shave with fewer passes to see how things work out. 

Good luck.

83 21,110
 12-06-2015, 05:05 AM
User Info
Are you using an alcohol splash? If so, try skipping it and just using a balm.

4 89
 12-06-2015, 05:53 AM
User Info
and also think a bit how you apply lather to your precious face; i think many are those that believe they've got razor burn, but it was in fact brush burn. try reducing the time your brush sweep and dance on your skin, and see what happens.

7 1,624
 12-06-2015, 07:40 AM
User Info
I been DE shaving for 2 years so it's not newbie mistakes I think I've just have bad reactions to certain soaps especially ones with cinnamon but no matter what I do I can't seem to et rid of it. I'll try skipping the alum block

9 270
 12-06-2015, 07:59 AM
User Info
all good advice, if i may add, use an alum every other shave or twice a week. i have noticed that the alum block "toughens" my face up!! i think this is unconvential but that was my experience. After the alum i squeeze whatever soap is left in the brush and with my hand paint my face. let it set for a few minutes, with a cold towel (i place in the freezer prior to the shave) pad it against your face very gently to remove the soap. wait a minute or two and use a very light balm, GFT skin food sandalwood works miracles for me at this stage. Very easy on the skin and does an excellent job moisturizing my skin.... hope this helps!
like you i have a very sensitive skin, it took me more than a year to develop the routine above which i found works best for me. Be patient, try a routine for a few days-week and only change ONE thing at a time until you find the perfect routine that works best for you. This will help you pinpoint exactly where the problem is and eliminate it. Sure takes a long time but once you find the routine it shall be very rewarding. And then when you try a new soap/cream/brush or whatever, you will know exactly where the problem is if any since you have established a good reference already.
sorry for the long write up but i will say, i have found that burning/irritation is mostly caused by a blade that's too harsh (not smooth), using the brush for too long while face lathering (any bit of harshness is going to be a major issue for you), or a soap/cream that's high on fragrance (case for me with SdM-fantastic soap in every aspect and amazing scent but it had left my face burning EVERY single time!!) and God forbid i get the tiniest of nicks the burning doubles or triples vs a milder soap!!

Give the alum a try a couple of times a week... Good luck

2 132
 12-06-2015, 09:09 AM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 07:40 AM)fgeib07 Wrote: I been DE shaving for 2 years so it's not newbie mistakes I think I've just have bad reactions to certain soaps especially ones with cinnamon but no matter what I do I can't seem to et rid of it. I'll try skipping the alum block

I have occasionally had the same reaction -- as a very long-time blade & brush shaver -- and it invariably came down to one or two things:  (1) Most important: a new/different cream or soap.  Often this has to do with the fragrance/perfume, sometimes (as in my case) with an allergy to, for example, lanolin.  Try going back to your original cream/soap, or to a cream/soap with only a limited number of essentially natural ingredients; (2) Rough or overused blade, or trying too hard for a BBS shave.  The culprit was once Feather blades in the wrong razor; in another case, a three-pass BBS shave; and once, using a very good blade two times too many.   Try a less-than BBS shave -- maximum 2 passes, with a blade and razor that you were using earlie
I have always used Alum, and never had a trace of a problem with it, PROVIDED that you wash it off fully after about 30 seconds.  Leaving it on the face is an invitation to clogging your pores.   And, here YMMV, I have never been a fan of leaving the shaving cream on my face too long: it is not balanced to the skin PH, and it could cause irritation.

Shaving irritation sometimes takes a week or more to gradually disappear.   Good luck!

Stanley

2 155
 12-06-2015, 09:37 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
Have you thought about shaving with an SE razor? I find that my skin and beard type do not get along well with DE razors (and I have tried many of them, with the only one coming close to being the exception is the PILS). Modern and even vintage SE razors can afford you that BBS shave you are looking to attain without the razor burn, depending on the model you choose. I believe that it is both the thicker blade width and rigidity of an SE blade that gives an SE blade an advantage for shavers like me—and perhaps you.

13 626
 12-06-2015, 09:44 AM
User Info
i have the mongoose thats about it and gives ok shaves for me

9 270
 12-06-2015, 11:10 AM
User Info
Mongoose can be too heavy and r angle isn't the easiest to find for me.. Almost always gave me burns/irritation. Try either the cobra or a vintage SE, a milder one is probably a good start, bullet tip/G bar/Feather weight

2 132
 12-06-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
I just traded my second wolf man for the King cobra was that a good deal or is the King cobra to aggressive? wasn't sure and didn't want to risk losing out so i just it.

9 270
 12-06-2015, 12:05 PM
User Info
This is difficult to diagnose. So hrre goes.

You mention certain soaps always cause problems vut you cang get rid of them. That problem will reoccur till you stop using those products.
What bkades are you using? Depebding in razor. A blade can give 3 shaves or 5 shaves if equal quality and comforts.

Dont alternate between razors for every shave. I learned that switching between razors on a daily basis because each razor has its own stylr tricks for a good shavr.

Two unusrd gillette techs made the sane day with same blades soap and face prep will handle differently. Swapping between a tech and a new improved on a daily basis will mess your technique badly.

0 157
 12-06-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 11:26 AM)fgeib07 Wrote: I just traded my second wolf man for the King cobra was that a good deal or is the King cobra to aggressive? wasn't sure and didn't want to risk losing out so i just it.

Two different razors IMO, I the Cobras are aggressive but smooth... Very efficient. Hope it works for you. Keep us posted

2 132
 12-06-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 02:47 PM)jr23 Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 11:26 AM)fgeib07 Wrote: I just traded my second wolf man for the King cobra was that a good deal or is the King cobra to aggressive? wasn't sure and didn't want to risk losing out so i just it.

Two different razors IMO, I the Cobras are aggressive but smooth... Very efficient. Hope it works for you. Keep us posted

Went back to my most comfortable shave routine of Baume.be with murkier 34c and a treet blade. No alum block just witch hazel and the matching balm. Will run this setup for a week and see how everything comes out. Thanks again all

9 270
 12-06-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully you find out what works best for you sooner than later

2 132
 12-07-2015, 11:03 AM
User Info
(12-06-2015, 07:40 AM)fgeib07 Wrote: I been DE shaving for 2 years so it's not newbie mistakes I think I've just have bad reactions to certain soaps especially ones with cinnamon but no matter what I do I can't seem to et rid of it. I'll try skipping the alum block

I also have sensitive skin and coarse hair, I gave up on scented soaps a while ago because most of them burn or irritate my skin and I got tired of buying samples to try out before making a larger purchase.  If you must have scented, try to stick with essential oil soaps because they tend to be a little more forgiving.  I also gave up on shaving directly against the grain because it just doesn't work with my skin/hair combo, and I have to shave everyday for work so it's not an option to let my face recovery every other day. 

Aside from giving up scented soaps and altering my technique, I have also found that I prefer a fairly aggressive razor (Wolfman OC .74) paired with a lightweight aluminum or titanium handle, and a sharp blade such as Gillette Silver Blues or Polsilver SI.  The less passes I need to do to get my shave where I want it, the better my skin feels afterward.

You would probably get along well with Voskhod blades if you haven't tried those yet.

10 407
 12-12-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info

Dunno if this even applies, but one thought - and I discovered this when I was piddling with concocting my own DIY pre-shave oil.  Most recipes call for castor oil as a primary ingredient.  I found out the hard way that castor oil can be a serious skin irritant for some people.

That being said - there *might* be something similar in what you're shaving with, be it a pre-shave oil, a cream, or even a post-shave balm.  You noted cinnamon as a possibility, there might be other ingredients to which your skin is allegeric or overly sensitive.

Given you've been DE shaving for 2 years, technique isn't the issue, and I trust your equipment isn't either, that you've found the best blade for your skin as well - so the ingredients in what you're using would, I trust be the place to focus.

Hope you figure it out.

0 401
 12-12-2015, 09:20 PM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 07:36 PM)lloydrm Wrote: If you are new to this, be patient and pay attention to your technique. Put some lather on your face without shaving and see if your skin reacts to it. That is to select a soap/cream that works for  your skin. Don't try new products yet. 
If you have experience and got bbs shaves before but for some reason you have been getting razor burn, I recommend a reset: go back to your most reliable soap/cream, razor and a fresh blade.  
Some general recomendations:
Don't use alchohol AS or alum. Prefer balms and alcohol free witch hazel, if you have used them without issues in the past. 
Use moisturizer every now and them since the skin tends to get dry in the winter.
Use cold water. 
Good luck.

Great advice!  Couldn't have said it better.

0 94
 01-11-2016, 09:06 AM
User Info
I picked up a great suggestion from Lynn at SRD. He recommends using a glycerin soap prior to shaving. I first bought the expensive soap they sell at supplies then went on eBay and picked up 3 bars of 100% glycerin for the same price. I also stopped using Feather blades except for the pro-glide. I found the crystal blades are very sharp but don't irritate as much. I started using my Merkur Futur DE so I can adjust the razor to my skin. Also experiment with pre-shave oils that are natural. I find menthol kills my face. Another of Lynn's videos recommend a diagonal stroke instead of agains the grain. This really makes a difference. Last, stretch your skin and use light pressure.

6 166