12-05-2015, 07:02 PM
User Info
I'm slowly getting back into the DE game, slowlyyyyyy.....

I'm now focussing on QUALITY over qunatity.

Last time I had quantity and also quality, but also not so much quality.

This time around I'm going for the creme de la Creme, best of the ultimate best FOR me, myself and I.

Best thing is to buy what you think might be GREAT, then decide and either keep it or dump it/sell it.

Wolfman is very hard to get, so I'm looking for what I should get.

Can someone help and inpsire me ?

I use a Fusion cart on a wood or steel handled razor for my first pass 9/10 of my shaves these days.

Then use the DE razor for second and third pass.

Fusion is then used for the Touch ups.

I enjoy quite agressive razors like the Mühle R41 Twist and Plisson De razors, but also enjoy the milder ones like the Pils and the Mühle R89 Twist.

Currently looking to order the entire complete head plates, caps and all 3 handle choices from Above The Tie. Also both slant heads.

What Wolfman models should I look for ?
And in what handles ?

Does he make pretty much totally custom handles or is there a limit ?

Thanks guys !!

24 5,838
 12-05-2015, 08:11 PM
User Info
Not sure about the handles (as I only have one and love it), but I have the dual comb and it is perfect. Given how hard they are to acquire, I figured I couldn't afford to purchase both the OC and SB so the dual comb has been great for me.

4 89
 12-05-2015, 08:32 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I know he will customize the blade gaps and the lengths of the handles, but I'm not sure about completely custom handles. If anyone would do it, it would be him.

3 529
 12-05-2015, 08:45 PM
User Info
Yes. I have seen a few customized handles and custom engraved base plates as well (in this case to mark the more aggressive one).

29 485
 12-05-2015, 09:12 PM
User Info
Claus,

I have a Wolfman with the increased blade gap and it has become my daily driver. Two passes with minimal touch up and I'm good to go. I found the standard blade gap too mild and settled on the increased blade gap

~Jesse~

80 947
 12-05-2015, 10:58 PM
User Info
(12-05-2015, 08:32 PM)DayMan Wrote: I know he will customize the blade gaps and the lengths of the handles, but I'm not sure about completely custom handles. If anyone would do it, it would be him.

Doesn't Triad make completely custom handles if requested? I realize he doesn't take orders at present but when he does that is my understanding. I'm pretty sure the AR-15 handle was a custom request???

13 947
 12-05-2015, 11:07 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Never shaved with carts so can't compare there. But I have used the R41 (aggressive model 2011) and the Plissons, Pils and Muhle.

I have two Wolfmans, the standard SB and OC. I prefer the SB just a little bit more but both are very very smooth shavers, for me they feel like a mild razor (I have a SB 0,74 gap on order). I don't have another razor that shaves exactly like them. Closest thing would be the ATT S1 for me.

Can't help you with the handles as I prefer other handles above the RVS ones (Robert Quinn handles) but there are several people who asked and got customs from James.

I think ordering the complete set from ATT will result in a fast BST topic, there are some very effective heads among them but not all are smooth shavers (YMMV). Good luck and much fun with the new baby's!

28 1,433
 12-06-2015, 01:01 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I told James that I liked using a Muhle R41 2013 version, Fatip, vintage Gillette OCs and a Merkur slant. Based on that what blade gap would he recommend and his answer was 0.74 . So I got the OC head with that gap but the head is not marked as to what gap it is so I assume I got what was requested/recommended. I use an Ikon Bulldog handle with it because I like the industrial look and already had the handle.

It is a smooth shaver that does not feel aggressive to me in the way the others do. It seems to like a less steep angle on the head than the others seem to need. The fit and finish is top notch as everyone else has said.

Bob

0 1,694
 12-06-2015, 03:05 AM
User Info
Following...

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

0 155
 12-06-2015, 04:21 AM
User Info
Claus I was in the same boat last month, I put my straights to rest and decided after trialing the Wolfman that I have been missing out on the DE game and the apparent IMO improvement in quality through stainless steel razors.

Over the last month I have bought/tried the Wolfman (normal and more agressive head), PILS, all ATT heads, Feather AS-D2, Ikon all heads, Mongoose and am waiting on the blackbird, HONE and plated aristocrat.

Not having much time to try each head may have hindered slightly but the ATT R2 (with Kronos handle) and the Wolfman with the more aggressive gap proved the best two for what I prefer. This is a rigid blade to face feel similar to a straight razor, aesthetics and audio feedback.

Brief conclusion:
PILS- aesthetically perfect, finding the correct cutting angle took too long. No blade chatter
ATT R2- good audible feedback, no blade chatter at all. Close and comfortable.
ATT S2- less audio feedback, a very close shave, must concentrate fully and re growth is 'sharper' not bad but prefer the R2.
Mongoose- cumbersome head, blade loading is also cumbersome, drags, sold after 2 uses. No blade chatter.
Feather- way too mild
Wolfman- no blade chatter, good feedback perfect level of agression with CC, OC not suitable for a daily shaver (for me) but great after a couple of days, this is with the more aggressive Wolfman set up. Not even the slightest sharpness between combs as on the R2.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 831
 12-06-2015, 04:51 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(12-06-2015, 04:21 AM)Nishy Wrote: This is a rigid blade to face feel similar to a straight razor, aesthetics and audio feedback.

Yes, that is another thing about the Wolfman OC 0.74 head that I have been using, the blade is very rigidly locked into the head. The blade does not feel like it is vibrating/fluttering when shaving, if you know what I mean. Probably why it shaves nicely with a more obtuse angle on the head for me.
Bob

0 1,694
 12-14-2015, 10:19 PM
User Info
Wolfman Razors is unique in that the quality is top notch and he takes custom requests. If you want the best, it is worth getting on his wait list. I've got 2 of his Wolfmans and a BBS-1 and they are all extremely well made.
No knock to the other companies. I own ATTs too and they are very well made, well designed, and shave awesome. But James finishing seems to have more hand work on each piece.

1 169
 12-14-2015, 10:38 PM
User Info
Thanks guys, your replies have been very helpful and informative.

Same day I made the first post here, James contacted me directly with his email.

I'm about to write to him now.

I think I'm planning to get 3 handles 95-105 mm length, OC & SB head and a stand.

After testing this gear in spring 2016, I might ask for a specific custom size head gap.

Thanks again to all. I truly appreciate all your help, dear Gentlemen

24 5,838
 12-15-2015, 05:39 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
You might want to think about making one of your 3 handles aluminum.  I've read some posts from people who prefer the aluminum handle with the SS head because it gives it a head heavy balance.  I don't have mine yet so I can't offer an opinion, but I went ahead and ordered a SS and aluminum handle.

3 529
 12-15-2015, 05:46 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(12-06-2015, 04:21 AM)Nishy Wrote: Claus I was in the same boat last month, I put my straights to rest and decided after trialing the Wolfman that I have been missing out on the DE game and the apparent IMO improvement in quality through stainless steel razors.

Over the last month I have bought/tried the Wolfman (normal and more agressive head), PILS, all ATT heads, Feather AS-D2, Ikon all heads, Mongoose and am waiting on the blackbird, HONE and plated aristocrat.

Not having much time to try each head may have hindered slightly but the ATT R2 (with Kronos handle) and the Wolfman with the more aggressive gap proved the best two for what I prefer. This is a rigid blade to face feel similar to a straight razor, aesthetics and audio feedback.

Brief conclusion:
PILS- aesthetically perfect, finding the correct cutting angle took too long. No blade chatter
ATT S2- less audio feedback, a very close shave, must concentrate fully and re growth is 'sharper' not bad but prefer the R2.
Mongoose- cumbersome head, blade loading is also cumbersome, drags, sold after 2 uses. No blade chatter.
Feather- way too mild
Wolfman- no blade chatter, good feedback perfect level of agression with CC, OC not suitable for a daily shaver (for me) but great after a couple of days, this is with the more aggressive Wolfman set up. Not even the slightest sharpness between combs as on the R2.

Outstanding feedback!

99 18,011
 12-15-2015, 05:48 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(12-15-2015, 05:39 AM)DayMan Wrote: You might want to think about making one of your 3 handles aluminum.  I've read some posts from people who prefer the aluminum handle with the SS head because it gives it a head heavy balance.  I don't have mine yet so I can't offer an opinion, but I went ahead and ordered a SS and aluminum handle.

I have an Aluminium UFO handle and you are on the money - it does have an impact on balance. The weight focused at the head provides a different experience.

99 18,011
 12-15-2015, 06:03 AM
User Info
(12-15-2015, 05:46 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(12-06-2015, 04:21 AM)Nishy Wrote: Claus I was in the same boat last month, I put my straights to rest and decided after trialing the Wolfman that I have been missing out on the DE game and the apparent IMO improvement in quality through stainless steel razors.

Brief conclusion:
Feather- way too mild

Outstanding feedback!
Thanks Ben.

0 831
 12-15-2015, 06:40 AM
User Info
The wolfman oc and the above the tie h1 are my two most used Des. My wolfman has the wrh2 handle and my att has a colossus.  The att may be a hair more effecient but both razors are so smooth especially the wolfman. It feels so mild yet it is effecient.  My only gripe with my h1 is that on atg passes the blade flexes with me.

Also have the att s1 as well but that's another topic.
I have a friend on these forums that a have with his wolfman like he did his carts and that was his first pass was against the grain. He tried it with the wolfman and because of how securely the wolfman holds the blade he had a good shave.

Both are top quality razors and neither disappoints when it comes to fit and finish or quality. The difference is the wolfman Is mirror polished the att is not. The attention to detail James gives to his razors is amazing. Att is no slouch either though. IMO the att has the best handles on the market as far as knurling goes. I don't care how slick your soaps or creams or the colussus is not coming out of your hand.

3 1,356
 12-15-2015, 09:29 PM
User Info

Brief conclusion:
Feather- way too mild

Agree with Ben.

Fantastic informative post  Clap

24 5,838