12-08-2015, 02:51 PM
User Info
So I found a brand spanking new fusion 5 blade razor I must have bought years ago in my bathroom cabinet just now.
It couldn't have looked any stranger after having only used DE for the last year.

As soon as I saw it, I thought to myself I should do a comparision against my best DE, which is wolfman SB.

I shaved my right side with wolfman and the left side (slightly more difficult for me being right handed) with fusion 5 because maneuverability of cartridge razor cannot be beat with any DE/SE razor.
Shaving with wolfman went as usual, easy WTG pass, reduction of facial hair, leaving some for subsequent passes.
Now, shaving the left side of the face with fusion 5, I expected it to drag a little because that's how i remember fusion 5 to be with canned gel/foam.  Pure stickiness and dragging!

To my surprise, fusion 5 glided over my face very very easily, at the same time felt almost stuck to my face as if it was vacuum sealed.  Not necessarily sticky/dragging, but just super attached to the face as if it was designed to be like that...?any ways.

After the first passes, I think to myself "wow, cartridge razors are so much easier to shave with", I could whip it around as if there was no blade in it and it still felt comfortable.
On the other hand, with wolfman, I had to pay attention or else I would get weepers here and there.  In fact, I did get 1 on my mustache and chin areas.

XTG, ATG, pretty comparable to previous passes, but after all were said and done, my right side of the neck had some stubble left where I usually have to J-jook with DE razor to get BBS.
Left side of the neck was stubble free to my surprise, even without J-hooking.

So I finished off by J-hooking my right side of the neck with wolfman.

End result?
Does fusion 5 get a vote because it left me with no stubble on the neck without J-hooking?
To make up for that extra J-hook pass, wolfman side of the cheek was actually BBS, while fusion 5 side of the cheek, I could feel very very tiny stubble when felt ATG.

Both were great, but now I am confused whether I should buy some cartridges to use as a back up.
It was surprisingly good!

Feel free to share your guy's experiences with going back to cart after using DE for a while.

[Image: dGOljtW.jpg]

Today's setup
razorock freedberg
plisson synthetic brush
speick AS
nivea sensitive balm
DE blade - Nacet

53 760
 12-08-2015, 03:23 PM
User Info
Similar experience, very close, very easy shave with Fusion, actually the 'Flexball' model. Seven shaves fine, eight a bit of irritation, by shave 9 had to stop and finish with a DE. I shaved 2 pass, XTG, ATG.  When I thought about it, whipping a blade around my face was not as enjoyable as focused DE shaving.  At $0.40 or more per shave with the cart, it was not worth the additional cost over my 1 to 2 cent cost per shave with Derby or Feather blades.  The shave was easier, slightly closer, but not as enjoyable and ridiculously more expensive.  Of course YMMV.

0 2
 12-08-2015, 03:48 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I use both type razors. Wolfman SB, Baby Smooth/Stealth, Progress and Fusion, Hydro 3 & the Feather MR3 Neo. With proper prep the carts are fantastic, especially the Feather. I find the shaves are closer with these carts vs the DE's and I'm lucky not to get ingrowns. The DE's allow a little more time in the shave den but, again, with proper prep both systems work well and can provide great shaves.

42 1,041
 12-08-2015, 03:52 PM
User Info
Well, if it works for you, then that is great! 
Unfortunately, for me, I just can't get a very good and close shave with carts because of my coarse beard. The carts just seem to tug during most of the shave. Shy

83 21,077
 12-08-2015, 04:24 PM
User Info
in search of lost time vs a soapie: both occupy you for a long time - one demanding and one easy - but only the former will speak to your self and live within you forever. to each their own.

7 1,624
 12-08-2015, 04:34 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
The better cart performance could be the use of an actual shaving soap instead of canned goo.

Bob

0 1,694
 12-08-2015, 08:49 PM
User Info
I bet if you had tossed on an alum block one side would have been a lot nicer...

remember for every pass you make with a cartridge, multiply that by the number of blades in the cartridge.  That means more irritation. I bet if you replicated this experiment again, with say something from a can the results would be in favor of the DE.

0 157
 12-08-2015, 11:25 PM
User Info
For a recent short travel to LA I brought with me an old and long time forgoten Mach3. 3 days ofcart shaving with soap and brush with not so great results. 3 passes and not nearly as close.

8 1,128
 12-09-2015, 05:44 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-08-2015, 02:51 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: End result?
Does fusion 5 get a vote because it left me with no stubble on the neck without J-hooking?
To make up for that extra J-hook pass, wolfman side of the cheek was actually BBS, while fusion 5 side of the cheek, I could feel very very tiny stubble when felt ATG.

Both were great,

Feel free to share your guy's experiences with going back to cart after using DE for a while.

I have not gone “back” to a cartridge razor, because I never “left” cartridge razors.  We travel a lot by air, with only carry-on luggage, so a DE razor is simply not an option for me when traveling.  

That said, I have just about completed my “one year” experiment with DE shaving (the “year” has taken 19 months so far); I decided in April 2014 that I would give DE shaving a fair chance to prove itself, and that kind of evaluation could not be done with a dozen or two dozen shaves.  Accordingly, I have well over 500 DE shaves, distributed among four distinctly different DE razors, on my face by now.  The result:  
  • IT IS NOT ABOUT THE CLOSENESS OF THE SHAVE, and never has been about the closeness of the shave;
  • I am firmly convinced — based on my own personal experience over five and a half decades of daily shaving, and hundreds of conversations with fellow shavers — that ninety-nine and forty-four one hundredths of a percent (old Ivory Soap radio commercial) of the feigned contempt that men who are insecure in their masculinity direct toward cartridge razors comes from their unwavering determination to forge unbreakable links between cartridge razors + canned goo, on the one hand, and DE razors + fine shaving soaps applied with an excellent brush, on the other.  
Now that I have deeply offended a high percentage of those reading this...  Tongue  Shaving with a DE razor, now that I have my technique down pat, still takes me more time per shave, quite a bit more time, than shaving with a cartridge does.  And if I want to get the closest possible shave, if I am going to be unable to shave for the next 24 hours, with a meeting at that time when I want to be still not too scrubby with stubble, then the Feather MR3 neo would be my razor of choice.  I can get a very, very close and irritation-free shave with an MR3 neo, and do it consistently, shave after shave; I can get very nearly, and sometimes equally, as close shaves with a good DE razor with a KAI blade in it, when I engage in the same prep for shaves with both kinds of razor.  The Schick Hydro3 gives me almost as good a shave almost as consistently as I can get shaving with an MR3 neo.  

Over the years, I almost never have needed to pay more than $2.00 per cartridge, purchased in a supermarket that I have gone into for weekly groceries in $10 five-packs, and which give me about 15 shaves per cartridge; while KAI DE blades, which I purchase on-line in quantities of 50 blades for a price, including shipping, of $0.47/blade, typically give me about five or six shaves per blade.  So the much-hyped cost difference between cartridge shaving and DE shaving amounts to less than the price of three Starbucks lattes per year.  Big deal.  

When I go to the supermarket, I drive a mid-size station wagon that has a capacious cargo area for the groceries, rides well, which has an auto transmission and air conditioning.  That is my cartridge razor vehicle.  If I owned a Lotus Seven, hard to fold myself into, low to the ground, with a butt-breaking suspension and thinly padded seating, and a manual transmission that needs to be rowed to keep up with modern Lexuses, I would have a lot of fun driving it; it would be my DE razor vehicle.  The Lotus would get me to the supermarket and back as quickly as the station wagon does; and the station wagon will get me from city to city on the freeway perhaps a bit more quickly than the Lotus would.

As I complete my “one year” experiment, I am not going to give up DE shaving.

1 1,089
 12-09-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
I prefer the DE, mostly for the experience rather than for the results.  I am not a cartridge razor hater, I just prefer my DEs.

2 1,461
 12-09-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
I went back to my trusty Fusion this year, sold my DE razors.

For the love of their looks, I have purchased 8-12 DE razors again, and now shave 3 passes like this:

1.st pass Fusion
2.nd and 3.rd pass: DE
Touch up: Fusion

FYI I only use Fusion carts on beautiful solid feeling steel handles, never plastic crap.

I really never left Fusion, I always liked them.
Now with better technique, I love Fusion and like DE razors.

My beard is stiff, wiry & coarse.

I rinse my Fusion 20-25 times during a first pass.

24 5,969
 12-09-2015, 07:28 AM
User Info
(12-09-2015, 06:48 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I rinse my Fusion 20-25 times during a first pass.

Wow, Claus! And here I am, only, performing two rinses with my DEs during my first pass. Biggrin

83 21,077
 12-09-2015, 07:35 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
(12-08-2015, 04:34 PM)BobH Wrote: The better cart performance could be the use of an actual shaving soap instead of canned goo.

Bob

It could be better technique as well.

10 376
 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(12-09-2015, 07:35 AM)Devilanche Wrote:
(12-08-2015, 04:34 PM)BobH Wrote: The better cart performance could be the use of an actual shaving soap instead of canned goo.

Bob

Yes, that too from using a DE for awhile and then going back. I got better results with a DE after getting good with a SR.
Bob

0 1,694
 12-09-2015, 09:57 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-09-2015, 08:22 AM)BobH Wrote:
(12-09-2015, 07:35 AM)Devilanche Wrote: BobHThe better cart performance could be the use of an actual shaving soap instead of canned goo.

Bob

Yes, that too from using a DE for awhile and then going back. I got better results with a DE after getting good with a SR.
Bob

Twenty-five years ago, before the age of digital cameras, I gave up using reversal (slide) film for a whole year in order to use only ISO100 silver-based black-and-white film, and to develop and print it myself.  The purpose was to make myself a better photographer with my accustomed color film, and I should like to think that, at least partially, I accomplished my goal. Your foray into shaving with a straight sounds like a similar endeavor, and I salute you for it.

1 1,089
 12-09-2015, 10:47 AM
User Info
Like Celestino, I have a coarse beard. I find it difficult to get more than two blades through my beard, even with the same prep and soap I use with a DE.

0 1,071
 12-09-2015, 12:25 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I think of razors as tools and use a mixture to get the best result....for me I start with a DE or a SE and do a final neck and cheek touch up with the Fusion...kind of like using 60 grit sandpaper and finishing with 120 or 240 whatever...not a big deal...just does the best job FOR ME ....after all shaving isn,t a chore when you have a bit of fun and finish with a nice a/s balm or whatever....for me enjoyment not a chore.

6 2,028
 12-09-2015, 12:29 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(12-09-2015, 09:57 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(12-09-2015, 08:22 AM)BobH Wrote:
(12-09-2015, 07:35 AM)Devilanche Wrote: BobHThe better cart performance could be the use of an actual shaving soap instead of canned goo.

Bob

Bob

Twenty-five years ago, before the age of digital cameras, I gave up using reversal (slide) film for a whole year in order to use only ISO100 silver-based black-and-white film, and to develop and print it myself.  The purpose was to make myself a better photographer with my accustomed color film, and I should like to think that, at least partially, I accomplished my goal. Your foray into shaving with a straight sounds like a similar endeavor, and I salute you for it.

My foray into SRs was just to see if I could learn to do it. Getting a better DE shave as a result was an unexpected benefit but not the intended outcome of using a SR. Oddly I now enjoy shaving with a SR more than with a DE. It is a more satisfying ritual I think.
Bob

0 1,694
 12-09-2015, 01:46 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I also use the 'tools' as Harvey states.  
If I have 2 or more days growth the first pass with the DE often followed with the Fusion. 
Guarantees great results every time.

42 1,041
 12-09-2015, 02:37 PM
User Info
Like some of you mentioned,  it could be the combination of better prep and skill/technique. 

When i used cartridges,  all i used or knew existed was edge gel type shaving cream which invariably clogged my razor all the time.  When i changed from mach 3 to fusion 5, i could not shave at all because it had so much drag. 

With nice lather from a shaving soap,  fusion was as smoothly gliding as any other razors,  or even better. 

Plus,  what i liked about it was that it doesnt feel aggressive to the skin. 

I may have to find the best combination like some mentioned,  either ny starting off with fusion or finishing off with it. 

Now that ive been reacquainted with cartridges,  i am also curious about atra and neo mr3.

53 760