07-07-2012, 10:01 PM
User Info
We have a winner! The precise person I've been looking for for this PIF!

Frankly, if you have no shave gear and are on a tight budget this PIF is for you! I can do CONUS, Alaska, or Canadian for this PIF.

I've had this PIF sitting here at my desk for 2 months now waiting for the right person to show up, and it hasn't happened yet. So I'm trying this to make it happen.

The rules are these; this PIF will take as long as I say, could be a week, could be a month, could be longer, but the PIF will be given to the right person. You must be a member of the forum. Folks, it's OK to steer folks here specifically for this. I expect a low post count by the winner.

The people putting their names in must be noobs and need a noobs first razor as a minimum, but if they require a full kit that's even better. The less someone has for gear the better their chances. If they have nothing, better yet. Can't afford kit and has nothing, that person very possibly could win.

Who has the best shot at it? An impoverished student, or an unemployed person, a retired person on SSI, or someone I can feel good about giving this to as needing it. The more items the person needs the higher they climb in the standing, the less disposable income, that's even better. Be gents and be honest, but I have no way of checking, except by post count and past posts.

You can just state I'm in or some such in the thread, but I want to know why you need it in a PM. When I have a winner, and it's solely at my discretion, I'll announce it. FWIW, anything told to me, as far as I'm concerned, is above top secret. No one will have access to it but me and I'll delete it pretty quick. Trust me, I know what top secret means.

What will you get? You'll just need to take it on faith that you will need to buy nothing for that first and quite a few subsequent shaves. The gear isn't anything fancy, but it's highly serviceable and all of it is ready to go.

It consists of a used good condition vintage DE razor head, but unfortunately I had to go into the bone yard to get a useable handle from an older razor and it has a crack that doesn't affect useability at all, but it is there. So you know it's a 3 piece razor.

The boar brush is mostly broken in from me hand lathering it to facilitate break in- you'll still have some break in to perform, but that's a boar brush. It's useable for face lathering as it comes to you, but to make sure, I'll hand lather it with glycerine soap one last time to get any minerals and whatever out of the bristles.

You'll get a highly useable new soap stick that many consider quite good, and I do too. If you can't face lather this stick soap something is horribly wrong.

A selection of blades left over from my sampler will also be in there, and a few that are my best blades. None of the packs are full, but you'll have plenty to get going with.

And the shave finishes with, IMO, the best aftershave/moisturizer on the planet at this time. I trust my face to it, and I formulated it specifically for my face.

After I announce the winner I'll also post a pic of the gear, until then it's only faith that will get you to put your name in the running.

I might throw some more stuff in, or not, until it makes me feel good about doing this.

So if you contemplate putting your name in don't hesitate. The first person who strikes me as really needing this is the one I'll choose. FWIW, you DO NOT need to put your name in the thread publically, only if you choose to, and the only thing I'll announce is who won it- the username- no reasons why the person won or anything else.

As a subject for the PM, write something like "Noob PIF" or some such.

Any questions get back here and ask, but don't ask for more specifics of the gear. That's all anyone gets until I announce the winner. It's for someone who never held a DE safety razor to their skin before. That's enough info.

Since the winner will be a noob, and the gear will be known by everyone, the winner will have a huge pool of experienced shavers who will help you get going if you ask for help. We all have experience with what the winner will receive.

Good luck folks. I'll read the PMs in order of time stamps.

32 6,312
 07-07-2012, 10:49 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Awesome Brian!

Clap

9 1,684
 07-08-2012, 04:56 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Awesome PIF, Brian!

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

0 539
 07-08-2012, 10:27 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, that is a wonderful offer on your part. Here's hoping that through your generosity someone new will become as passionate about wet shaving as we.

2 11,211
 07-08-2012, 10:31 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
This is a very generous offer; some lucky chap out there will have a fine start.

1 290
 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Very cool PIF, this should make someone very happy!

9 408
 07-08-2012, 02:31 PM
  • soulska
  • Burbank, CA
User Info
Hi everyone.. first post on this forum. I have been wet shaving for a little under a year and have been trying to convert all cartridge/goo zombies out there. Recently.. my little brother came over to visit and mentioned something about shaving. I took the opportunity to give him a little first hand demo. We grew up without a dad, so when he was in his early teens I had to show him how to shave and now I had the chance to show him again how to shave. This time the right way. We are 11 years apart, so when he was in his early teens I was already in my 20's. Fast forward another 10 or so years and there we were in the bathroom together, him taking a lesson on shaving. It was nostalgic to have my little brother take the shaving lesson again from me. Its stuff you will definitely remember for the years to come. The shave went flawless not a damn nick or weeper. The kids got talent or just a great teacher. Wink Im gonna send this link to my bro and lets see if he comes through to potentially pick up this PIF. Even if he does not get it thanks Shadowsdad for the awesome PIF.

0 36
 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
Hey All,

I can't thank Brian enough for this awesome PIF. I'm soulskas brother and what he put is 100% accurate. He introduced me to regular shaving over 10 years ago and approx 2 months ago introduced me to the world of wet shaving! I don't have to tell you guys, you already know it was awesome. I came on to try to order a kit but when I took a look at the price quickly noticed I couldn't afford it but had (un)fortunately just thrown money away on refil Gillette cartridges so I had those to continue shaving for a while. With this kit I will no longer have to worry about those and be a true and loyal wet shaver. Looking forward to receive the kit and PIF!

0 4
 07-08-2012, 07:33 PM
  • soulska
  • Burbank, CA
User Info
Congrats bro.. I knew when I read the thread that you could be the one shadowsdad was looking for. we are going to have to have another WS session to get you going. shadowsdad I would like to thank you for doing something for my brother. he's a awesome kid and does a ton for our family. if you could know him personally you would even more so know you made a good decision in picking him. thank you.

0 36
 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
Generous PIF Brian - I hope someone new gets to use this instead of canned goo and cartridges Smile

3 3,580
 07-08-2012, 07:41 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Great PIF & an awesome story!

0 539
 07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
  • soulska
  • Burbank, CA
User Info
PS.
If OP is who I think he is then this pic will bring a smile to your face.
[Image: r8i8L.jpg]

0 36
 07-08-2012, 11:14 PM
User Info
Yes, Joseph is the winner! He is precisely the person I was looking for when I put this kit together!

Yes, that pic does put a smile on my face! Hmmm, how did that get there?

Now I can post the pic of what Joe won.

[Image: July_2012PIF.jpg]

A Tech frankenrazor, the handle is serviceable, but came out of my boneyard from an Old or New and has the crack most of those handles have. It won't affect use of this head though. In the pic, the crack can be seen at the base of the handle. In the smooth section.

Arko soap, and an assortment of blades, 2 of which are favorites of mine. The blue wrapped unboxed (in the pic) blades are Med Preps. I believe there are at least a few blades in each box, the Derbys are new an unopened. The Brush is a boar that has seen quite a few hand lathers to help speed the break in process, but Joseph will need to continue it through use and in not too much time he'll realize that the brush is all of a sudden, "Pretty good". It took me by surprise when my similar brush became that way. I use mine for face lathering, and the soap is best for face lathering as well. It will do good work with any soap you choose to put it to. It has all sorts of backbone but will yield some of that up in time and use and just become the brush I spoke of. BTW, it has a wooden handle. Never soak the handle or it could split. It's ok to get the bristle wet up to the handle, but don't agonize over this.

A retail size of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum rounds out the PIF to complete your shave.

Have fun with it, and we're here to help if you need us. I gave the brush one last handlather with glycerine soap, if the brush is dry on Monday morning everything will ship then. But I think it more likely that it'll ship on Tuesday. I'll keep you informed and with tracking info in a PM.

Edit: fixed wording.

32 6,312
 07-09-2012, 01:31 AM
  • soulska
  • Burbank, CA
User Info
once again thanks.

Joe... im expecting a sample of arko. Smile

0 36
 07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
User Info
Once again, can't mention how thankful I am to have won this! From what I see it's a really friendly and helpful environment on here so I know I've got all you, this forum and my bro just a short drive away for any help needed. As I told Brian over PM no need to rush the shipping as I know how busy our lives could be. I still have a few more of those cartridges I referred to on my last messages and I could use this time as a farewell to cartridges lol! Thanks again Brian, that kit will be treated right and put to immediate use!

Brother- thanks for the kind words! People turn out good/great when they have great role models...sorry for getting all sappy on you guys. Truly get a great vibe off of here from all of you!

0 4
 07-09-2012, 02:05 AM
  • soulska
  • Burbank, CA
User Info
(07-09-2012, 01:37 AM)hs0813 Wrote: Once again, can't mention how thankful I am to have won this! From what I see it's a really friendly and helpful environment on here so I know I've got all you, this forum and my bro just a short drive away for any help needed. As I told Brian over PM no need to rush the shipping as I know how busy our lives could be. I still have a few more of those cartridges I referred to on my last messages and I could use this time as a farewell to cartridges lol! Thanks again Brian, that kit will be treated right and put to immediate use!

Brother- thanks for the kind words! People turn out good/great when they have great role models...sorry for getting all sappy on you guys. Truly get a great vibe off of here from all of you!
who's cutting onions in here!

thanks lil bro. u know I'm always here for u.

0 36
 07-09-2012, 07:18 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Brian, very! nice (and generous) PIF Thumbsup

Joseph, congratulations on receiving the PIF and use it to enjoy a superior shave Euro

23 1,872
 07-09-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
Great PIF, Brian and congrats to the winner.

75 20,884
 07-09-2012, 09:30 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks again, Brian, and Joseph please let us know how you get on with the various products. I'll be interested to know which blades you like most and how many shaves you get from each. Enjoy! Smile

2 11,211
 07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
User Info
Great PIF, Brian, and congratulations, Joseph. Enjoy.

185 12,010