12-12-2015, 09:56 AM
User Info
All the 4 inch phones nowadays are absolute garbage; fat with nasty screens and intended as "burners." Not everyone wants a massive 5 inch or absurdly large 6 inch phone.

18 713
 12-12-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
Am interested on the recommendations as well.

8 1,067
 12-12-2015, 10:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I am just trying to find a good phone.  No internet access, no email, no texting.  Just something to talk on and take pictures with.

175 23,752
 12-12-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
Based on the specs and my experience with the brand and the Xcover2, the Samsung Galaxy Xcover3 looks like a pretty good phone all around.

/edit:
(12-12-2015, 10:28 AM)Johnny Wrote: I am just trying to find a good phone.  No internet access, no email, no texting.  Just something to talk on and take pictures with.

If you just need a camera, but not a terrible good camera, you might want to check out a Nokia candybar like the 215 or 225. No frill phone with looong standby time. They have internet, but unless Nokia's browser have been significantly improved you're better off not using it :p

3 4,374
 12-12-2015, 12:45 PM
User Info
I recommend the mini samsung galaxy, not sure the name but it's a nice phone. Also Motorola has some smaller phones I had a Droid Motorola and it was a very nice phone.

Casio gzone rugged android is another option,milspec as in waterproof dirt proof etc . Personally I wouldn't buy a phone based on it just being " rugged" as I keep an otterbox case on all my phones and never had a problem.

3 1,356
 12-13-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
I can't find a good flip-phone replacement for my old Samsung, and while the Moto E and G both appear to be good entry-level smartphones, I still don't need all their bells and whistles. I did find a middle ground of sorts, the LG 306G, a small step up from flip. To be used for talking mostly and to have a camera for photos to post here, though the quality will be sorely lacking. The Moto E might be worth reconsidering since current prices are low.

29 1,776
 12-13-2015, 10:47 AM
User Info
(12-13-2015, 08:34 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: I can't find a good flip-phone replacement for my old Samsung, and while the Moto E and G both appear to be good entry-level smartphones, I still don't need all their bells and whistles. I did find a middle ground of sorts, the LG 306G, a small step up from flip. To be used for talking mostly and to have a camera for photos to post here, though the quality will be sorely lacking. The Moto E might be worth reconsidering since current prices are low.

It does seem that the Moto E is the best though imperfect option right now. Have you considered a Windows phone? They are easier to use and have much better battery life than Android phones. It doesn't sound like you need much apps either...

18 713
 12-13-2015, 11:19 AM
User Info
I haven't used Windows anything for a long while, but will check them out. I'm in Johnny's boat, pretty much, but think it inevitable I'll have to step up someday. If I was to commit whole-hog to such now, the Moto G would be tempting. The E comes with a pay-as-you-go plan that's similar to my current, so that's part of its appeal.

29 1,776
 12-13-2015, 11:24 AM
User Info
Straight talk at walmart has some really small android phones.

3 1,356
 12-13-2015, 12:32 PM
User Info
(12-13-2015, 11:24 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Straight talk at walmart has some really small android phones.

Yes but they suck... There used to be a time when flagships where 4in phones. Apple was the last company to remain with them. Now it seems even midrange phones don't come in that size anymore. Just the ultra-low end. Sluggish phones that hesitate to do anything but make calls, a very narrow viewing angle screen that displays whites as blue, bulky and cheap feeling (like a toy).

18 713
 12-13-2015, 12:43 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I have a Nokia Windows phone.  Its a full featured smart phone.  And the camera is superb.

But, its sadly waaay behind iPhone and Android as far as apps.  There are some rather great apps out there.  Unfortunately, the user base for Windows smartphone is so far behind, that most developers don't write for Windows.  Microsoft would have us believe that things will be better when Windows 10 becomes more commom.  

Sorry, but I distrust Microsoft.  

My advice for a small Android phone - buy/get it someplace where you can return it if it doesn't align with your style.

57 1,569
 12-13-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
Just to clarify: the Nokia's I refereed to higher up in the thread is NOT Windows phones, they are old fashioned candy bar (aka monoblock) phone with a full keypad.

3 4,374
 12-13-2015, 02:55 PM
User Info
I have gone through the same quest as you.  I had my decision down to the Sony Z3 Compact and the regular Z3.  I ended up with the Z3, and sometimes it seems just too big.  The phone is fantastic, and the screen, wow.  It is  by far the best phone I have owned.  I really enjoy the dedicated camera button for when I have wet hands to take a shot.  The phone is waterproof, and some foolhardy folks on youtube have used the phone for underwater pics and videos.  I am sold on the Sony phones.  At work I have a couple Nexus guys that eye my phone.  They say it has the nice lines of the iphone, but has the superior OS.  I had an iphone 5 that worked well, but I have not seen the quality in the newer iphones.

0 106
 12-13-2015, 11:12 PM
User Info
Those nokias look pretty much like the right phone to me.

8 1,067
 12-13-2015, 11:43 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Burn me at the stake, but I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 6 Plus (cracked screen and all). In fact, I can't imagine life without it.  Blush

At work we have Nokia phones and everyone complains about them.

My parents both have Samsung Galaxy phones (not sure which model) and neither of them can operate them (but that's more of an age thing).

My daughter has an iPhone 5c. It's small and seems more robust with the coloured back plate as standard.

99 18,011