12-12-2015, 10:33 AM
  • Brad58
  • Go Penn State!
  • Berwick, PA
User Info
I came across this grinder in an antique shop - asking $50. Is this a good grinder at that price?  How do you adjust the grind as I do not see any mechanism for this?
[Image: aLqrwJY.jpg][Image: WiQiUs3.jpg]

14 192
 12-12-2015, 11:25 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Need a picture from the top looking down into SS bowl to see gring adjustment screw.

68 1,047
 12-13-2015, 11:50 AM
  • Brad58
  • Go Penn State!
  • Berwick, PA
User Info
The shop is only open on weekends, so will have to wait to get a better picture. What
about the grinder itself and the price?  Thanks for your help Barry!

14 192
 12-13-2015, 12:43 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Not familiar with the brand. The key would be the burrs are they from hard rolled steel. Are they still sharp?.Usually if the grinder is from the US it was used primarily for decorative use rather than grinding coffee. If it is a US owned grinder. The burrs can be untouched. If it is a grinder that spent it's time in Europe it is more likely heavily used. Run your fingers over the burrs and feel how sharp they are. Check the grind adjustment if it works or not. Don't worry if the burrs have a residue of coffee on them. To clean the burrs simply run some Minute Rice through the grinder. Run a little of it through then let it sit to absorb the oils. Then grind some more and let it sit a while. CAUTION DO NOT USE RAW RICE. Raw rice is too hard and will dull the burrs. Minute rice is par boiled and will not damage the burrs. If you are not collecting. For not much more than $50 you can get a brand new Zassenhaus. I will send some links in a few minutes

68 1,047
 12-13-2015, 12:51 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
 12-14-2015, 04:39 AM
  • Brad58
  • Go Penn State!
  • Berwick, PA
User Info
Thanks Barry.  This is a German made grinder, but like you said, why not spend a little more and get a new grinder.  Thank you for the link.

14 192
 12-14-2015, 10:18 PM
User Info
Great information, Barry, and the grinder as so beautiful that they are tempting me to start drinking coffee! Biggrin

82 21,056
 12-15-2015, 08:12 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-14-2015, 10:18 PM)celestino Wrote: Great information, Barry, and the grinder as so beautiful that they are  tempting me to start drinking coffee! Biggrin
If you want to start drinking coffee. Start at my house I Roast my own coffee and am responsible for starting my next door neighbor roasting and my neighbor down the street atarted drinking coffee at 65. I am a charter member of CSA (Coffee Snobs of America). You can start the CSC once you are hooked

68 1,047