07-08-2012, 08:47 AM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
I've just destroyed my 946th French Press. To say I'm frustrated with these things is an understatement...the only reason I still use them is because I love the coffee they make.

I'm moving onto other brewing methods but would like some advice if anyone wants to chime in. I'm realizing I need a caffeine fix to make it through a day of work so I've come up with two options: get a cheapo autodrip that can have a pot of meh coffee ready for me in the AM on weekdays and get something like a Chemex that I can use to make great coffee with when I have more time, or I can just buy a great drip machine like the Bonavita PV1800.

Either way, I figure I'll end up saving money over a daily trip to Dunkin Donuts. I was just wondering what you guys would do if you had the same choices.

6 119
 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I don't do anything fancy. We use a BUNN coffee maker (drip) which produces a pot of hot coffee in about 3 minutes max. We use Dunkin Donut coffee and mine taste as good (to me) as what I can buy at one of their locations.

173 23,535
 07-08-2012, 09:19 AM
User Info
When I make coffee, I use the household Bunn also. I have always been of the notion water & good coffee matter more than the method. I would purchase the type of coffee maker that would be a balance of utility and durability. YMMV.

0 24
 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM
  • Craig
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
Thanks guys. The Bunns look great too! There are just so many options to choose from...Coffee is a much more expensive AD than shaving, unfortunately.

6 119
 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Using an inexpensive Mr Coffee and grinding your own beans is a great alternative. We have been doing it for years.

100 12,442
 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM
User Info
My 2 cents...

Whatever autodrip you can afford
Locally roasted or home roasted beans
Burr grinder

Great coffee every day, at least for me.

31 7,914
 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-08-2012, 09:49 AM)Craig Wrote: Thanks guys. The Bunns look great too! There are just so many options to choose from...Coffee is a much more expensive AD than shaving, unfortunately.

You might try a product called Coffee Helper. Its ground chicory you add to a pound of ground coffee. Stretches your coffee and adds a nice richness to it.

15 541
 07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
User Info
(07-08-2012, 10:15 AM)Hanzo Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 09:49 AM)Craig Wrote: Thanks guys. The Bunns look great too! There are just so many options to choose from...Coffee is a much more expensive AD than shaving, unfortunately.

You might try a product called Coffee Helper. Its ground chicory you add to a pound of ground coffee. Stretches your coffee and adds a nice richness to it.

Hanzo, this sounds interesting. Can you use it if you grind your coffee by the pot & not by the pound? Where can I find Coffee Helper? Thanks!

31 7,914
 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
First step is to invest thousands of dollars in shaving equipment and outfit your shave cave with 2 or 3 maidens who will bring your your coffee with a smile and/or a snap of the finger. Works for me and the coffee tastes great!!!!(that is what Phil does I am told at the Bullgoose corporation headquarters)BiggrinBiggrinCoolCool

6 1,913
 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
My wife and I have been very happy with the Cuisinart DCC-1200. It makes a good cup of (Seattle's Best #5) bold coffee. When our last 1200 started to go, we bought another. We have a french press someone gave us years ago and we never used it. It just seems like too much work.

0 204
 07-08-2012, 01:14 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(07-08-2012, 10:18 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 10:15 AM)Hanzo Wrote:

Hanzo, this sounds interesting. Can you use it if you grind your coffee by the pot & not by the pound? Where can I find Coffee Helper? Thanks!

Coffee Helper is sold by Riley Foods Company of Louisiana.They ship to me in 10 days to California. You can add to any portion of coffee you brew with the right ratio of coffee to chicory you like. Smile

15 541
 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
(07-08-2012, 01:14 PM)Hanzo Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 10:18 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 10:15 AM)Hanzo Wrote: You might try a product called Coffee Helper. Its ground chicory you add to a pound of ground coffee. Stretches your coffee and adds a nice richness to it.

Coffee Helper is sold by Riley Foods Company of Louisiana.They ship to me in 10 days to California. You can add to any portion of coffee you brew with the right ratio of coffee to chicory you like. Smile

Thanks. Is it called Coffee Partner? I can't find Coffee Helper.

31 7,914
 07-08-2012, 04:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian,

Here is what you are looking for. And Hanzo is correct, it will enrich your coffee.

http://www.reilyproducts.com/coffee-part...icory.html

173 23,535
 07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
User Info
(07-08-2012, 04:02 PM)Johnny Wrote: Brian,

Here is what you are looking for. And Hanzo is correct, it will enrich your coffee.

http://www.reilyproducts.com/coffee-part...icory.html

Thanks Johnny. That's the one that I found as well. I'll have to see if this happens to be carried at any of the grocery stores near me. I can't stand to order something online and shipping costs 3x as much as the product.

31 7,914
 07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I love the taste of coffee. For me, the more TASTE the better it is. I use the least expensive perc grind coffee I can find. Right now that's Beaumont coffee from Aldi's grocery. I also use Master Chef from WalMart. These coffees are very robust. I brew them strong in a percolator. I quit using drip because it seems to me that drip coffee gets bitter much quicker than coffee fixed in a percolator.

In short, I like my coffee when it's strong enough to turn the percolator off when it's finished brewing. Biggrin

0 396
 07-08-2012, 07:00 PM
  • Craig
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
(07-08-2012, 11:04 AM)Harvey Wrote: First step is to invest thousands of dollars in shaving equipment and outfit your shave cave with 2 or 3 maidens who will bring your your coffee with a smile and/or a snap of the finger. Works for me and the coffee tastes great!!!!(that is what Phil does I am told at the Bullgoose corporation headquarters)BiggrinBiggrinCoolCool

Ok, we can stop this thread. This is the answer I was looking for, and I didn't even know it Biggrin

6 119
 07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've been using a Chemex and a Melita pour over with a gold metal filter instead of the paper filter. It's not as clean of a cup as if I was using the Chemex paper filters but I think it's a better cup of coffee. The Chemex paper filters really impart a chemical papery taste to my coffee that I don't like. I have a French Press and I really like the coffee it makes but I don't like cleaning up the mess.

You might want to look into an Aeropress, I have one and it's great for making one cup of coffee at a time, it's very easy to use and it's also easy to clean up.

I've been looking at the Bonavita coffee makers for a while, they get great reviews.

7 1,018
 07-08-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
A decent drip brewer with a reusable gold filter, my paternal grandmothers coffee grinder dating back to the '30s and - for most of my hot and cold coffee needs - a Toddy Cold Brew System.

Actually got two of the Toddy - one for coffee, one for Indian Chai tea Biggrin

3 3,575
 07-08-2012, 08:28 PM
  • Craig
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
(07-08-2012, 07:34 PM)Sully Wrote: I've been using a Chemex and a Melita pour over with a gold metal filter instead of the paper filter. It's not as clean of a cup as if I was using the Chemex paper filters but I think it's a better cup of coffee. The Chemex paper filters really impart a chemical papery taste to my coffee that I don't like. I have a French Press and I really like the coffee it makes but I don't like cleaning up the mess.

You might want to look into an Aeropress, I have one and it's great for making one cup of coffee at a time, it's very easy to use and it's also easy to clean up.

I've been looking at the Bonavita coffee makers for a while, they get great reviews.

I've been looking at the Chemex for my weekend cups. I'll get one eventually I think. I thought about an aero press but I need more than one cup of joe!

I think I've settled on the Bonavita BV1800. I have some cheapo drip coffee to go through before I upgrade to freshly roasted beans, though.

6 119
 07-09-2012, 08:10 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
That's a nice-looking unit. Please let us know your thoughts after you get it!

52 788