12-14-2015, 09:48 AM
User Info
I picked up this M7 on Black Friday, and chose a black(ish) handle. It's quite stunning in person, has nice weight to the handle and a beautifully constructed knot.  I love this handle profile and the material "feels" special.  The first few lathers there was a bit of scritch, but today's lather was scrubby but scritch free... really nice.  It took my M6 many lathers to reach it's potential- who knows maybe it will continue to improve.

There is a fairly substantial glue bump. I asked Mark at Simpson about M7 glue bumps and he said it varies from brush to brush. I assume that it is an intended part of the design, and given the loft of the brush it doesn't adversely affect performance. 

I feel fortunate to have added this M7 to my den.

Here's a shot after a palm lather; the lather dissipating a bit...
[Image: i4VCOZt.jpg]
[Image: YYMBvoi.jpg]

10 1,653
 12-14-2015, 10:20 AM
User Info
Gotta love that handle! Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,200
 12-14-2015, 10:24 AM
User Info
Lovely brush, I really love the M7 handles. Enjoy.

8 839
 12-14-2015, 10:41 AM
User Info
Lovely brush, Chris! Thumbsup

82 21,056
 12-14-2015, 11:24 AM
User Info
Looks great. Hopefully it will improve with use as you expect it to. Enjoy

8 1,064
 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone.
BTW the lather is Country Club's Yacht Club.

10 1,653
 12-14-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
In regards to glue bumps there are a few different factors at hand. 

One is the length of hair that is used in the knot. First of all, every brush has a glue bump, whether you feel it or not. If you use longer hair in the knot you can get away with burying the glue bump into the handle but that requires a bigger bore. I do not prefer this option because I do not like the concept of having the root of the badger hair buried into the handle where it may not have a chance to dry out all the way. 

When using a shorter hair, you will not have to drill as deep into the handle to set the knot, but the consequence is that the user will feel the bump. 

To me I view the glue bump as neither good nor bad but for the longevity of the brush I actually prefer it. When you feel a glue bump all it means is that the manufacturer order the badger hair to a shorter length for your knot. See below:

[Image: afowgOM.jpg]

Congratulations on your new brush though, it's a beauty, and I hope you enjoy it in good health.

61 1,710
 12-14-2015, 03:59 PM
User Info
It's a beautiful brush.

48 5,727
 12-14-2015, 04:02 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations on a wonderful acquisition!

99 18,011
 12-14-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
I got my first m7 on Black Friday in butterscotch. Definitely does feel special. So happy with it

2 59
 12-14-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
Congrats !! Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 12-14-2015, 07:03 PM
User Info
(12-14-2015, 01:04 PM)NSmalls Wrote: In regards to glue bumps there are a few different factors at hand. 

One is the length of hair that is used in the knot. First of all, every brush has a glue bump, whether you feel it or not. If you use longer hair in the knot you can get away with burying the glue bump into the handle but that requires a bigger bore. I do not prefer this option because I do not like the concept of having the root of the badger hair buried into the handle where it may not have a chance to dry out all the way. 

When using a shorter hair, you will not have to drill as deep into the handle to set the knot, but the consequence is that the user will feel the bump. 

To me I view the glue bump as neither good nor bad but for the longevity of the brush I actually prefer it. When you feel a glue bump all it means is that the manufacturer order the badger hair to a shorter length for your knot. See below:

Congratulations on your new brush though, it's a beauty, and I hope you enjoy it in good health.

Simpson hand ties their own knots don't they?

13 947
 12-14-2015, 07:05 PM
User Info
(12-14-2015, 07:03 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 01:04 PM)NSmalls Wrote: In regards to glue bumps there are a few different factors at hand. 

Yes, Simpson's hand ties their own knots. But I think the point Nick was trying to make is that no mater how the knot is made the hairs used may be of a shorter length and therefore more likely to develop a glue bump.

73 2,200
 12-14-2015, 07:58 PM
User Info
(12-14-2015, 07:05 PM)merkur man Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 07:03 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:

Yes, Simpson's hand ties their own knots. But I think the point Nick was trying to make is that no mater how the knot is made the hairs used may be of a shorter length and therefore more likely to develop a glue bump.

This is correct. I was just trying to generalize. I was talking about the loose badger hair sold to manufacturers.

61 1,710
 12-14-2015, 09:08 PM
User Info

[Image: afowgOM.jpg]

Very informative and interesting. Thank you for this post.

Congrats on the brush.. Lovely handle

2 132
 12-14-2015, 09:17 PM
User Info
absolutely beautiful brush...congratulations !!

5 286
 12-14-2015, 09:57 PM
User Info
(12-14-2015, 05:02 PM)helmut Wrote: I got my first m7 on Black Friday in butterscotch. Definitely does feel special. So happy with it

Sounds great...got a photo? Enjoy your new M7!

10 1,653
 12-15-2015, 12:35 AM
User Info
Beautiful brush - congratulations!

7 884