12-14-2015, 11:41 AM
User Info
I know I've been pretty quiet over the past few months.  Reason being:  demand for brushes has kept me pretty much in the shop, for which I thank all who have patronized my business.  But as popular as my hand-tied Finests and Silvertips have been, a couple months ago I found another Chinese supplier who offers hand-tied Manchurians.  I ordered a sample batch of these knots, which has been undergoing testing by several experienced users, some of whom are on this forum.  While these knots need to be set somewhat differently from any others I've used, I believe that question has been settled to the testers' satisfaction.  From the feedback I've gotten, they provide a truly unique shaving experience--one I am very happy to offer to the wet shaving community.

Saying that, I expect a shipment of the Manchurians in 22, 26 and 30mm in both Bulb and Fan shapes around the end of January-early February.

For those who have come to appreciate them, I plan to continue the Finest and Silvertip knot offerings; so never fear!

Now back to the shop!

Merry Christmas to all..."and to all a Good Night!"    Smile

2 585
 12-14-2015, 11:42 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for the update, Brad .. exciting news.

102 18,555
 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Great to hear and congrats Brad on adding the Manchurian knots to your selections.

Well done!

2 1,180
 12-14-2015, 11:47 AM
User Info
(12-14-2015, 11:43 AM)kwsher Wrote: Great to hear and congrats Brad on adding the Manchurian knots to your selections.

Well done!

+1

82 21,056
 12-14-2015, 11:51 AM
User Info
Fantastic, I can't wait to see these new knots.

8 839
 12-14-2015, 11:58 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I've got one of these magical knots.  Brad is right about these new knots.  They are game-changers!
[Image: W1a9gev.jpg]

47 1,902
 12-14-2015, 12:44 PM
User Info
To clarify are they 3-band or 2-band?

61 1,710
 12-14-2015, 04:40 PM
User Info
(12-14-2015, 12:44 PM)NSmalls Wrote: To clarify are they 3-band or 2-band?

Hi Nicky,

The Manchurians are all three-band.  The two-bands I've seen aren't significantly different from the two-band Finests I presently stock.

2 585
 12-14-2015, 05:44 PM
User Info
Can't wait to add some B. Sears 26mm Manchurians to my collection of Sears brushes.  Very nice Brad.

61 3,796
 12-14-2015, 06:14 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Great news, Brad. Congratulations.

38 5,034
 12-14-2015, 06:28 PM
User Info
Great news and beautiful brush!

13 947
 12-14-2015, 06:47 PM
User Info
Gonna have to pony up. really nice Brad!

0 517
 12-14-2015, 08:14 PM
User Info
Are you gonna make some in the chubby style handle?  I miss that style handle to be honest  Sad

2 359
 12-15-2015, 10:11 AM
User Info
(12-14-2015, 08:14 PM)SimpsonLover Wrote: Are you gonna make some in the chubby style handle?  I miss that style handle to be honest  Sad

Yes, absolutely!  Outside of custom castings (sorry, no chartreuse with yellow poke-dots  Tongue ), just tell me what you want and I can probably make it for you.  Seriously though, because I make 90+% of my brushes "to order," I'm able to accommodate just about any handle style.  Just please don't ask me to replicate a style made by another artisan.  I respect their intellectual property just as I expect them to respect mine.

Because all my brushes are made literally "by hand" on a wood lathe, I don't have to worry about programming numerically controlled lathes, like some of my competitors.  At the same time, because I've been turning precise duplicates for years, I've grown accustomed to replicating my existing designs to within a few hundredths of an inch.  That means that what you see on my website is pretty much what you'll get.  And if you have something new in mind, I also enjoy collaborating with you to develop new designs. Normal lead times (when I have the knots, that is) run between 7 and 10 days.  I only ask for payment after you've approved a photo of the finished brush.

I know I'm a one man band producing maybe 200 or so brushes/year.  For that reason, I don't try to compete with the "big guys" on quantity.  Rather, my goal is to compete on quality.  I've spent a lot of time and money selecting knots that have been rated among the best in the world by my customers--many of whom I now call friends.  Similarly, the handle materials and finishes (on wood) are the very best obtainable. My patrons have favorably compared these brushes with the most respected "names" in the world. 

Those are tall statements; but ones I am more than happy to stand behind. As but one measure of confidence in my brushes, I offer what I believe to be an industry exclusive:  a one-year written warranty.  Simply stated:  As long as your brush is not abused, I will repair or replace any brush that sheds or exhibits any "manufacturing" defects within one year of its original purchase at no charge.  Moreover, that warranty transfers to any subsequent owners within one year of original purchase. 

When you look at my prices, you will see that they're probably a bit higher than many other artisan brushes, but still lower than any comparable commercial brushes of like quality.

As mentioned above, I've made some very bold statements.  I don't know that you'll see many formal comparative reviews (although I would be delighted for one or two to be done.)  In lieu of those, I invite anyone who might be interested to pose questions about my brushes on any on-line forum.  I believe you will find the results fascinating.

I'm happy to field any questions or comments you might have.  I normally respond to emails and private messages within 24 hours.  Comments posted on forums might take longer; so email/pm is the best way to reach me.

Thank you for your time--and have a great day, men.

2 585
 12-16-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
(12-14-2015, 04:40 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(12-14-2015, 12:44 PM)NSmalls Wrote: To clarify are they 3-band or 2-band?

Hi Nicky,

The Manchurians are all three-band.  The two-bands I've seen aren't significantly different from the two-band Finests I presently stock.

Thank you for the clarification Brad. Looking forward to seeing some reviews!

61 1,710
 12-31-2015, 03:32 PM
User Info
I am more than pumped for these. I have a sweet custom handle style in mind and I have been itching for the right knot. I cannot wait!

0 517
 12-31-2015, 04:31 PM
User Info
Glad to hear it. As you've probably seen from an earlier post, they should be in by early February (at the latest, I hope.)

If you would like to send a pm with the design, we can talk about how to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 585