Poll: Do you think they're the same blade?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
Some people, including Personna themselves, claim these blades are the same.

Have any of you used both? If so, what do you think? Do you believe them to be the same blade, or not?

I'd really like to know what you guys think. If most of you believe them to be the same blade, I'll probably go with the Lab Blue since the Labs cost half as much as Med Preps.

0 214
 07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I think they're different. Labs pull and tug a bit on me while Med Preps glide. I used the same lather, same brush, same razor, and get the above results. They're both great blades but I can definitely tell a difference. Is there enough of a difference for the price gap IMO? No

116 3,804
 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM
User Info
(07-08-2012, 03:43 PM)Dave Wrote: I think they're different. Labs pull and tug a bit on me while Med Preps glide. I used the same lather, same brush, same razor, and get the above results. They're both great blades but I can definitely tell a difference. Is there enough of a difference for the price gap IMO? No

Even though they are from the same base blade, I believe that the Med Preps have a coating on them (most like PTFE) while the Labs are not coated because they are used in analysis work where they want them to be stainless only. The Labs may also be placed through and additional sterilization process. When I tested another "Lab" blade (not Personna) from a medical manufacturer, those blades were gamma radiation treated and were not coated, just base stainless.

1 2,827
 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
Blades...definitely YMMV!

I voted "different" simply because the Med Preps undergo additional cleaning. So yes they are different for that alone.

In use I couldn't discern much if any difference, but on another forum there were photomicrographs of the edges and they appeared to be ground differently.

32 6,308
 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
I don't believe either one goes through a sterilization process. If that were the case, I would think each blade would be individually sealed and the packaging would indicate as much. Otherwise they're no longer sterile as soon as they leave the sterile environment.

0 836
 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
User Info
From what I understood, the Med Preps were not oiled in the same way as the Lab Preps. It was claimed that there was a possibility that oil could harbor contaminants that may cause infections by shaving near surgical sites. The oil is probably the less expensive anti-corrosion measure between the two blades, and thus the difference in cost. I've tried the Lab Preps and they are pretty fair in some razors but unruly in others. I have no direct experience with the Med Preps.

3 195
 07-09-2012, 05:41 AM
User Info
i would have to agree with GD, but i still did not care for either.

75 20,883
 07-09-2012, 11:56 AM
User Info
I have tried both blades in different razors and tbh I cannot feel any difference between the two. But like all blades different people find those that work for them. For me the Labs are a good blade very razor specific, nothing special but for the money I am not complaining.
Would I pay extra for the Meds, well I think you know the answer to that one.......Biggrin

3 198
 07-09-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
(07-08-2012, 07:47 PM)5Savages Wrote: I don't believe either one goes through a sterilization process. If that were the case, I would think each blade would be individually sealed and the packaging would indicate as much. Otherwise they're no longer sterile as soon as they leave the sterile environment.

Correct. It's just an additional washing procedure to remove more of the manufacturing "stuff".

32 6,308
 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
I have used, and do use both, and feel they are the same blade. I can't tell the difference between the shaves I received from either. Someone on another forum claims to have received insider knowledge that they are the same, but the Meds receive and extra cleaning step and stamp to certify them for medical use.

YMMV, but the Personna "Blues" are my favorite blade out of all I have tried.

7 40
 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM
User Info
Well, according to Personna they say the ONLY difference is the sterilization process.

My face can't tell the difference. But these are not my favorite Personna Blade..... the Red Pack Israel Blade seems so much smoother on my face.....

0 66
 07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
User Info
I like to put my two cents in.I have ten labs and ten med,and shaved with two of each.I Tried with different razors and could not get a good shave with them. Just ok nothing great or nothing real bad.My opnion these are the same razor blades just prep different, they felt the same .I was real disapointed in these blades after reading good reviews about them for months,I believe that they shave well with certain types of beards,but not for me.

0 17
 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM
User Info
For me they at just a fair blade. I typically get no more than two good shaves.

....I forgot to add, as others have pointed out, they are same blade, just an additional sterilization process.

5 833
 07-17-2012, 03:36 AM
User Info
Personna Meds/Labs shave exactly the same for me and are by far my favorite blades. At $12.99/100 on the Bay, I just don't think there is a better value. Smooth and clean shaves for me everytime.

7 40
 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM
User Info
Personna Lab is my all-time best blade. I can't tell any difference at all in shaving characteristics vs Meds.

Israeli Personnas are also go-to blades for me. Not quite as sharp as Labs, but, for me, a more durable edge - I can push them out a couple more shaves than the Lab. Does that guy on "that other" forum have electron microscope scans of both their edges? I would be curious to see the differences...Idea

0 3
 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
It wasn't an electron microscope that I know of. But whatever it was it showed the grind and edge imperfections clearly.

32 6,308
 07-18-2012, 08:40 PM
User Info
(07-08-2012, 03:52 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 03:43 PM)Dave Wrote: I think they're different. Labs pull and tug a bit on me while Med Preps glide. I used the same lather, same brush, same razor, and get the above results. They're both great blades but I can definitely tell a difference. Is there enough of a difference for the price gap IMO? No

Even though they are from the same base blade, I believe that the Med Preps have a coating on them (most like PTFE) while the Labs are not coated because they are used in analysis work where they want them to be stainless only. The Labs may also be placed through and additional sterilization process. When I tested another "Lab" blade (not Personna) from a medical manufacturer, those blades were gamma radiation treated and were not coated, just base stainless.
Razorbladesandmore say that the lab blues ... "Ideally these are identical to the Medical Personnas, but do not go through prep process. These are coated and oiled..."

21 1,471
 07-20-2012, 05:59 PM
User Info
This discussion has me intrigued. Is anyone willing to sell me a few of either the med or lab blades? I'm willing to pay shipping and the cost of the blades.

1 168
 07-20-2012, 06:14 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
(07-20-2012, 05:59 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: This discussion has me intrigued. Is anyone willing to sell me a few of either the med or lab blades? I'm willing to pay shipping and the cost of the blades.

I'll drop you some tomorrow Grant.

18 281
 07-20-2012, 08:16 PM
User Info
(07-20-2012, 06:14 PM)daccpa Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 05:59 PM)Grant_Atwood Wrote: This discussion has me intrigued. Is anyone willing to sell me a few of either the med or lab blades? I'm willing to pay shipping and the cost of the blades.

Save a stamp, Duane. I went ahead and ordered a pack of 10, along with some Wilkinson Swords, Supermax Super Platinums, Lord Platinums, and block of Monster brand Alum. I need to stop reading these darned threads, as they are making me purchase shave stuff I didn't even know about a week ago! Rolleyes

Save a stamp, Duane. I went ahead and ordered a pack of 10, along with some Wilkinson Swords, Supermax Super Platinums, Lord Platinums, and block of Monster brand Alum. I need to stop reading these darned threads, as they are making me purchase shave stuff I didn't even know about a week ago! Rolleyes Thank-you anyways!

Save a stamp, Duane. I went ahead and ordered a pack of 10, along with some Wilkinson Swords, Supermax Super Platinums, Lord Platinums, and block of Monster brand Alum. I need to stop reading these darned threads, as they are making me purchase shave stuff I didn't even know about a week ago! Rolleyes Thank-you anyways!

1 168