12-16-2015, 08:04 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Which are your favorites and why?
Just scent?  or… Do you notice any performance or lathering differences between them?

Here's a list, in case you forgot  Biggrin  
  • Valobra - Unscented; Cologne; Fougere; Patchouly; "stick"
  • Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge; No. 88
  • Art of Shaving- Unscented, Lemon, Lavender, Sandalwood

I have always been taken by the scent of C&S No. 88, and though I find it a "rainy day" scent, on average throughout the year it is my favorite of the 10 soaps (plus one stick).  

I know Oxford & Cambridge gets a lot of love around here, but I just didn't find mixing of rosemary and lavender to be all that inspired.  It's nice, don't get me wrong, but IMO it's not very thoughtful, considering C&S is a proper perfumer, I just expect a more interesting combination.  (What I'm getting at is both lavender and rosemary are herbaceous, and I just like more diversity in my scents, especially if it's coming from a proper perfumer.  I realize they say there are other scents going on (bergamot and oak moss), but they are undetectable to me and I have a good nose.  If the bergamot and oak moss actually came through, then I'd probably say they have a real winner because that sounds wonderful.  But for me, as it is, it's disappointing.  I even had a sample of the EdT and I have the same observation and overall disappointment.)

For me, the Valobra-branded pucks are no good.  The scents are borderline obnoxious, IMO, and had to force myself to use them… I had the 3 scented ones. 
I do like the scent of the "stick"… which seems to be a toned down, smoother version of the Fougere puck.

And I like all the AoS tallow pucks, though I get bored of the scents pretty quickly.

And that's why, again, Czech & Speake No. 88 is my favorite of the group… followed by the Valobra stick (I even have a bowl with 2 sticks smashed in).

Your thoughts?

62 3,014
 12-16-2015, 08:26 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
All great performers, so it comes down to scent. No. 88 is probably my favorite scent, whether I'm using shave soap, AS, or EdT. I do enjoy O&C, although my favorite lavender scents are dark lavender. Everyone raves about AoS tallow, but I find the scents boring and I'll rarely use them. It's off topic, but I do enjoy many of C&S EdT's or Colognes, including No. 88, O&C, Dark Rose, Spanish Cedar, and Fankincense & Myrrh.

38 5,201
 12-16-2015, 08:31 PM
User Info
I'm one of the few guys that doesn't care much about the smell, just the performance. Therefore, I prefer Valobra as it is the same soap as C&S without the lovely scent and a lot cheaper. Over the years of shaving I couldn't use only one soap based on its smell and that was the red Proraso....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 13
 12-16-2015, 08:33 PM
User Info
I have Oxford & Cambridge, No. 88, and Valobra's Patchouly. The Czech & Speak soaps have a next level luxurious scent to them that is simply phenomenal. I am honestly stuck right down the middle between Oxford & Cambridge, and No. 88. I highly suggest both. Patchouly isn't bad, but no where near as good as the Czech & Speak scents. I have no experience with the other scents listed.

I have samples of all the Czech & Speak fragrances. I find most are not my style of scent I would wear out-and-about. However, as a shaving product line I do like Oxford & Cambridge, &  No. 88. I am considering purchasing the aftershaves actually. I would have no problem wearing the AS around the house.

28 349
 12-16-2015, 08:43 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I'm close to Tom on this issue. I have O&C and quite enjoy it. In fact, I used it this morning. I had Valobra patchouly. The scent just wasn't to my liking. I have a Valobra stick - unopened. Never tried it. Nor have I taken opportunity to try 88. Probably should sometime.

I have AoS tallow sandalwood and lavender. Both excellent.

60 1,627
 12-16-2015, 09:05 PM
User Info
Is it me or do I find 88 very similar to Dr Harris Arlington?

18 655
 12-16-2015, 09:07 PM
User Info
Thanks, this is helpful. I had planned to try a few of these in 2016 but had not done the research yet. I've only used the stick to this point. AoS tallow sandalwood and No. 88 sound like the way to go.

42 1,199
 12-16-2015, 09:10 PM
User Info
(12-16-2015, 09:05 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Is it me or do I find 88 very similar to Dr Harris Arlington?

Arlington is a heavy on the citrus, fern scent. Although, No.88 has hints of bergamot, I think it's nothing like Arlington. 

No.88 is a floral, woody, rose scent. It's very aromatic. Both are great, I really like Arlington as well.

28 349
 12-16-2015, 09:12 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-16-2015, 09:05 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Is it me or do I find 88 very similar to Dr Harris Arlington?

Sorry, I don't find a resemblance.  YMMV clearly Smile

62 3,014
 12-16-2015, 09:14 PM
User Info
(12-16-2015, 09:10 PM)TomTomTuning Wrote:

Arlington is a heavy on the citrus, fern scent. Although, No.88 has hints of bergamot, I think it's nothing like Arlington. 

No.88 is a floral, woody, rose scent. It's very aromatic. Both are great, I really like Arlington as well.

(12-16-2015, 09:12 PM)Nero Wrote:

Sorry, I don't find a resemblance.  YMMV clearly Smile

This is based on the soap pucks only. Man now you guys got me thinking about the edts... 

... No must resist. Already ordered a one blade..... Must resist.....

18 655
 12-16-2015, 09:38 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Sorry to be slightly OT.

I wasn't a fan of Arlington, so I sold it. I'm feeling like I should move 88 up on my interest list.

60 1,627
 12-16-2015, 09:42 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-16-2015, 09:38 PM)MaxP Wrote: I'm feeling like I should move 88 up on my interest list.

+1

62 3,014
 12-16-2015, 09:59 PM
User Info
Please, don't mind my intrusion, here.
I kind of enjoyed the No. 88 shaving soap scent, but I found it a tad expensive, for a shaving soap. YMMV. Shy

83 21,115
 12-16-2015, 10:18 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I don't think $36 for 3-4 months of shaves is all that much.  Hard soap lasts a really long time… the stamps on the top don't even fade for 5-10 uses.

62 3,014
 12-16-2015, 10:37 PM
User Info
Patchouli is uniform, and true to its name, but muted (as are the other two house scents); I think it's the best of the three, but (too) don't find any of these inspiring.

By far, my favourite Valobras are No.88 and Sandalwood.
No.88's deep, rose-based, woody, early-on-citrusy fragrance, appeals to me.
AoS is mainly, straight-up Australian-variety sandalwood.
I give the nod to No.88, but had Valobra-AoS used (real) Mysore sandalwood oil, things would be different.

I like Lavender, but didn't much care for it mixed with O&C's top notes of (herbal) rosemary and peppermint; (to my senses) herbal overkill here, especially given the short duration of a shaving session, which does not allow the other (late/lower) notes to develop and reach equilibrium with the (herbal) early/top notes.

I find they all perform similarly.

Regarding Arlington vs No.88:
I like them both, but personally, find them starkly different - Arlington is essentially bright through and through, and lacks No.88's (pleasantly) dark and brooding dimension.

(Btw, IMO, performance-wise, Valobra hard soap >>> soft soap.)

0 530
 12-16-2015, 11:18 PM
User Info
Many people (including myself) have noticed, a clay/cardboard scent-undertone from Valobra soaps.
I don't find it all that unpleasant, but it is unusual.
Anyone know, to what this attribute is ascribed?

0 530
 12-17-2015, 12:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Of those listed, my favorite is the Oxford & Cambridge.  I have it in the small travel container but I find it works just fine for home use also.  It is also my favorite Lavender soap.

[Image: oCkyezU.jpg]

179 23,946
 12-17-2015, 12:39 AM
User Info
(12-17-2015, 12:06 AM)Johnny Wrote: ...Oxford & Cambridge...my favorite Lavender soap.
I'm not surprised it's so adored (by you and many others). 
I find the lavender used here, very pleasant, and undoubtably of top-notch quality.[Image: thumbsup.gif]

0 530
 12-17-2015, 02:14 AM
User Info
Czech & Speake is probably the same price as any $15-20 artisan soap when you consider its longevity. No. 88 is on my list to try, currently have AoS Sandalwood and Valobra Fougere. The Fougere is very simple and inoffensive, but I love the Sandalwood scent. It's so rich and authentic smelling.

16 1,027
 12-17-2015, 02:27 AM
User Info
I tried for a long time to enjoy No. 88 but in he end just never got on with the scent.  I'd have to pick O&C and AoS Sandalwood as my favorites of the lot.

75 2,321