12-17-2015, 02:01 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
These two brushes are luxurious. Even delicious. They work well for soaps or creams, face or bowl lathering. I love everything about them except the handles. These squared off handles are a wee bit uncomfortable for my arthritic hands. I've had the brushes for fewer than six months, and they have been part of the rotation, which means they've probably been used about six or seven times each. Between them, they might have lost two hairs, although I am not sure about that. You might be able to manage the handles better than I. The price includes U.S. shipping. Paypal is fine. No trades, please.

Thater 4125/3    (SOLD)
2-band
28mm knot, 56mm loft.
($125)

Thater 4125/3   (SOLD)
3-band
28mm knot, 56mm loft
($100)

[Image: VjZa20d.jpg][Image: Owu4suZ.jpg]

154 3,134
 12-17-2015, 02:32 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Man, that's tempting. I love Thäters!

22 836
 12-17-2015, 08:19 PM
User Info
dang it missed yet another in 2 band.

16 660
 12-17-2015, 08:31 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(12-17-2015, 08:19 PM)mastershake Wrote: dang it missed yet another in 2 band.

mastershake, my friend, the three-band is no slouch. Medium backbone and a dense knot make for a superb brush with silky soft tips.

154 3,134
 12-17-2015, 10:01 PM
User Info
oh i know, but i was able to obtain one of those in a trade recently which is why i really wanted the 2 band. those tips looked amazing... Babeando

16 660
 12-17-2015, 11:01 PM
User Info
(12-17-2015, 10:01 PM)mastershake Wrote: oh i know, but i was able to obtain one of those in a trade recently which is why i really wanted the 2 band. those tips looked amazing... Babeando

Those are beautiful brushes and if I didn't just buy one I would be interested.

Fwiw, I just read an interview on Straight Razor Magazine with the CEO of Thater, Harald Schuldes, and he said his 2 band knots are the regular 3 band Silvertip knots, just shortened to give it more backbone which I guess is the point after all. See below. I went with a 3 and for that reason since I didn't want the extra backbone but wanted the softer tips. It sounds like the tips should be the same on both as far as softness goes but I wonder why the two band tips appear to be whiter.

HS: “Certainly. We have recently completed the design of a new line of two band badger brushes. Two band badger brushes have gained significant popularity lately, and I think this is well justified. First, let me explain what a two band badger brush is. It is a regular three band badger knot that has been shortened. We have found that using a modified version of our production process, we have managed to maintain our typically tightly packed knot structure, and the luxurious feel of our badger hair tips, while offering those who appreciate it the increased backbone of a typical two band badger brush. Best of both worlds, if you so wish. Apparently, the additional work that goes into the production process is reflected in the price for these brushes eventually. But the difference is quite moderate compared to some other two band badgers brushes in the market. We have already produced a limited edition for the Straight Razor Place, as well as a good amount of brushes with the ever popular octagonal handle, and the feedback we received was rather positive.” 

13 947
 12-18-2015, 07:01 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
3 band Thaters are possibly the most underrated brush on the forums. 

Great brush and great seller. Don't hesitate gents.

169 1,425
 12-18-2015, 09:03 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
The Two band and Three band brush hairs come from different species of badgers. Although the two band hair does in fact have 3 bands, the hair is actually quite different in characteristics from the 3 Band Silvertip hair Thater uses. But both are absolutely wonderful brushes.

14 871
 12-18-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
i have seen and felt both the hair is 100% not the same. the 2 band i saw had super white hooked tips and the silvertip while still nice for sure does not share those traits.

16 660
 12-18-2015, 01:27 PM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
The Thater that Obie sold me is now my favorite brush.  GLWS, Obie, and Merry Christmas

29 333
 12-18-2015, 04:26 PM
User Info
I don't want to hijack a thread, just posting the link. I only said what the CEO of Thater said regarding badger 2 and 3 band. Perhaps he didn't mean same badger, but I read it that way. sorry if I was wrong.  Read the interview if interested.

http://www.straightrazormagazine.com/201...t.html?m=1

13 947
 12-18-2015, 06:01 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your comments. Both brushes are sold.
Stay well, and have a Merry Christmas.
Obie

154 3,134