12-22-2015, 07:23 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Following Ravi's thread about his and David's gorgeous Americana XL's from Shavemac is a little tough, since those two brushes are truly some of Bernd's finest work that I have seen.  However, I also had two recent arrivals from Bernd that I thought I'd share.  Coincidentally, it seems our ideas had some things in common:  Both inspired by brushes found in "our customers styles" but increasing the knot diameter and changing the hair type. And in both cases, 2 with the same exact handles  Biggrin

But...these twins are both mine  Angel -- they were a gift to myself, to celebrate my B-day and more importantly, the end of a lengthy cross-country move.  Mine were inspired by the Opus Summum, however I opted for 28mm knots.  Both have a 54mm loft, both are fan shape.  The only difference is hair type:  One is 2-Band Silvertip, and the other is D01 2-Band.  Can you guess which one is which?  Tongue

Pre-Bloom:
[Image: jPk0wej.jpg]

Post-Test Lather:
[Image: VSA5Rmn.jpg]

Top View:

[Image: y6dJpAR.jpg]

Just lovely:
[Image: 4yHZF8q.jpg]

In the first two photos, the D01 is on the left, in the next two, it is on the bottom.  

The difference between the knots is night and day.  Despite the same size and appearance, a side-by-side comparison of these knots is probably pointless, as each was meant for a very different experience--I just happen to enjoy both hair types, and I love the 167 shape along with faux jade  Cool . 

A personal note/rant about D01 2-Band hair:  It doesn't seem to have the best reputation or following these days.  Maybe I am wrong, but most of the passive comments that stand out to me seem to be neutral or even on the negative side. I feel this hair really deserves a better reputation than it seems to have.  Whether you believe in "break in" or whatever else you want to call it, in my experience this hair changes significantly after several uses (like a few weeks' worth).  I always assumed (perhaps ignorantly) a lot of shavers can't get over those initial few weeks to get this knot where it needs to be, they get rid of the brush and remember it as a bad experience.  

The first few uses are downright uncomfortable--and it seems like every new D01 2-Band I buy yields the same reaction from me at first:  "What the heck did I just buy?" and "Did Bernd change his supplier or something?"  Then I force myself to keep using it, and after the first week I start to see its potential.  After some time, this knot becomes one of the most incredible knots I have ever used.  Yes, lots of backbone, and scrubby...but good scrubby.  Based on my three well-used examples, the tips do become hooked over time, and you get the related characteristics typical of hooked tips, whether you like that or not.  You can argue that a user should not have to endure discomfort just to get the brush "useable" given all the substitutes we have...and I wouldn't disagree.  And of course the 2-Band Silvertip is incredible from the very start. However, there is something about this knot that's just...well...special  Wink .

BTW, the handles are significant, and their size surprised me a little since all the 167 handles I have are smaller.  I'll post a side by side photo with a 24mm 167 handle in a few days for additional perspective. 

Happy shaves everyone  Biggrin!

34 1,628
 12-22-2015, 07:28 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Giorgio, on two stunning brushes from Bernd. Smile

31 5,279
 12-22-2015, 08:16 AM
User Info
Beautiful!
I've become accustomed to the break in period with brushes that I've procured. I agree with you that sometimes you just have to hang in there and wait for the brush to reach its full potential. For the most part I am rewarded with an excellent brush. My recent entry into Bernd's 2 band Silvertip has opened my eyes to a knot that has a wonderful face feel right off the bat, gets even better with break-in.
It's good to read some positive remarks about the D01 considering all the focus the 2 Band ST gets as of late…and rightfully so. My eye was immediately drawn to the shape and splay of the D01, though not to say that the 2 Band looks lovely as ever. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations and enjoy!

~Royce

4 373
 12-22-2015, 08:20 AM
User Info
Beautiful brushes! thank you for the comparison. I have a 28mm 2 band silver tip on the way from Berd as well. What are your thoughts on the 2 band Silver tip's backbone set at 54mm? Enjoy your stunning new brushes, Sir.

26 232
 12-22-2015, 08:21 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Gorgeous, Giorgio! Congrats, my friend!

26 4,895
 12-22-2015, 09:14 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Giorgio! Enjoy the brushes, my friend and I knew the D-01 was the one on the left in the first photo! These knots don' splay much when new compared to the Silvertip 2-Band ones. Biggrin

82 21,056
 12-22-2015, 09:55 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
What a nice pair of twins, nothing like faux jade handles! Like Celestino I was guessing the one w/ the less bloom was the D-01... I will look to give the the D-01 another shot in the near future but with the right knot/loft ratio this time Biggrin

35 1,329
 12-22-2015, 10:04 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Lovely brushes, Giorgio .. and welcome to Pennsylvania Winky

102 18,552
 12-22-2015, 11:28 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words  Blush  

(12-22-2015, 08:20 AM)ksn2273 Wrote: What are your thoughts on the 2 band Silver tip's backbone set at 54mm? Enjoy your stunning new brushes, Sir.

Thank you! I will be able to answer that question next week...since I received these I have been strictly using the D01 2-Band, but I plan on switching in a few days. I gave Bernd full discretion to choose the lofts, so we'll see how it goes. Just based on feel, I don't believe it will be lacking backbone. 

(12-22-2015, 10:04 AM)Agravic Wrote: Lovely brushes, Giorgio .. and welcome to Pennsylvania Winky

Thanks Ravi  Biggrin! Very happy to finally be here and enjoying weather this week  Tongue

34 1,628
 12-22-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
(12-22-2015, 11:28 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Thank you gentlemen for the kind words  Blush  

(12-22-2015, 08:20 AM)ksn2273 Wrote: What are your thoughts on the 2 band Silver tip's backbone set at 54mm? Enjoy your stunning new brushes, Sir.

Thank you! I will be able to answer that question next week...since I received these I have been strictly using the D01 2-Band, but I plan on switching in a few days. I gave Bernd full discretion to choose the lofts, so we'll see how it goes. Just based on feel, I don't believe it will be lacking backbone. 

(12-22-2015, 10:04 AM)Agravic Wrote: Lovely brushes, Giorgio .. and welcome to Pennsylvania Winky

Thanks Ravi  Biggrin! Very happy to finally be here and enjoying weather this week  Tongue

Thanks, Giorgio. Looking forward to your thoughts!

26 232
 12-22-2015, 12:08 PM
User Info
What beauties!

7 1,182
 12-22-2015, 05:51 PM
User Info
A beautiful pair Giorgio.

48 5,717
 12-22-2015, 06:18 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Congrats! A great pair! I never got myself to use D01 2 Band. Probably the only 2 Band I have never tried...

35 1,808
 12-22-2015, 06:22 PM
User Info
Beauties Grigio , left one looks d1 2 band . Awesome choice my friend and happy birthday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 12-22-2015, 06:30 PM
User Info
Great looking brushes. Can't wait to hear how the D01 knot progresses. Enjoy.

8 839
 12-22-2015, 07:11 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thank you gents!  Another shave with the D01 tonight, and the brush continues to get softer.  Virtually all scritch is gone  Biggrin ...it is amazing to watch this hair evolve so nicely.  

(12-22-2015, 06:18 PM)German Wrote: Congrats! A great pair! I never got myself to use D01 2 Band. Probably the only 2 Band I have never tried...

Thank you!  I hope you decide to try one someday...and please give it a chance at first. The knot is extremely dense (think Simpson), and will take a little to "get good"  Tongue, especially if you go >~25mm. It is a fairly unique experience, I can't think of a solid apples to apples comparison.  I am tempted to say Simpson Manchurian, but I'm not sure that's entirely accurate... Undecided

34 1,628
 12-22-2015, 11:04 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes - enjoy!

7 882