07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I've recently been browsing the websites for Wilkinson DE blades and I am trying to determine how many different "Wilkinson Sword" Blades are in production and what the differences are. If someone can point me to an existing thread that discusses this already it would be greatly appreciated. I am quite confused when I come across references to Classic, Black, White, Made in England, Made in Germany etc etc etc. When I look at photos there appear to be different packaging for possibly the same blades etc. This morning I found a loose Wilkinson blade in my blade box and popped it into my Weber DLC and man it was smooth. I'm sure this blade was either sent to me with an order or a trade so for all I know it might be a vintage discontinued Wilkie that I can never replace however, if I am going to start sampling current production Wilkies (which I am because now my curiosity is up) I'd like to know which are considered the best currently being produced. Thanks in advance fellas.

18 281
 07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
hmmm,

I don't know if they still have blades made in England..

I do know that there are two different packagings for German made (I have the Gold lettered one) and they are smooth for me. Easily comfortable for 3 shaves (3-pass)

The Indian made blades have a very distinct packaging (both German and Indian made are sold at BullGoose), I have tried one blade so far of the Indy Wilks, and it seems a bit sharper so far and has been through 3 shaves (3-pass).

I believe the packaging is what saves the money for production and passes it on to the user. Indy blades come in carboard pkg. I know it isn't enough information for you yet... but I think it is a great middle-of-the sharpness tree blade, and stay smooth. If the one blade you tried is a modern Wilk blade, then the German made, or Indian made should start out the same for your shaves.

Your may want to try a custom blade sampler package, put together by you (grab a few different types of your own liking)

Smile , also Phil at BullGoose probably could direct you on what to try based on your hair/skin combo

9 1,684
 07-09-2012, 04:26 AM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
(07-08-2012, 08:33 PM)gijames Wrote: hmmm,

I don't know if they still have blades made in England..

I do know that there are two different packagings for German made (I have the Gold lettered one) and they are smooth for me. Easily comfortable for 3 shaves (3-pass)

The Indian made blades have a very distinct packaging (both German and Indian made are sold at BullGoose), I have tried one blade so far of the Indy Wilks, and it seems a bit sharper so far and has been through 3 shaves (3-pass).

I believe the packaging is what saves the money for production and passes it on to the user. Indy blades come in carboard pkg. I know it isn't enough information for you yet... but I think it is a great middle-of-the sharpness tree blade, and stay smooth. If the one blade you tried is a modern Wilk blade, then the German made, or Indian made should start out the same for your shaves.

Your may want to try a custom blade sampler package, put together by you (grab a few different types of your own liking)

Smile , also Phil at BullGoose probably could direct you on what to try based on your hair/skin combo

Thanks for the reply GI, yes this helps a lot. I looked at Phil's blades and I also found this one on Amazon [Image: 417J90H53PL._SL500_AA300_.gif], do you know if there are any more? Also you mentioned that you have the gold lettered blades and I don't see gold lettering on the blades that Phil is carrying, (except a number 5) mind if I ask where you got yours.

18 281
 07-09-2012, 05:46 AM
User Info
In current production there are 3 different Wilkinson Sword blades - in several different packagings.
The "Wilkinson Sword" blades in the black or white plastic-box, "Made in Germany" / Solingen, are current production. These are their "Classic" blades. Triple-coated. Black or white label, black or white box, golden letters or black logo on the label, some say "Classic", .... -> all contain the same blade. There are also "Wilkinson Sword Economie" blades - cheaper and for barber use. They seem to be without any coatings (perhaps PTFE only). Not as good as their Classics. There are also some blades from India. They come in a cardboard-box. They are mid-market blades in India. Gillette owns the Wilkinson trademark for the Indian market, that's the reason why they are labelled "Gilette Wilkinson Sword". Very cheap and by far not as smooth or good as the Classics from Germany.
Until the early 2000s, Wilkinson blades were made in England. You may find some NOS blades on the bay every now and then. Some people swear on them to be outstanding blades.

0 112
 07-09-2012, 06:27 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(07-09-2012, 05:46 AM)infabo Wrote: Until the early 2000s, Wilkinson blades were made in England. You may find some NOS blades on the bay every now and then. Some people swear on them to be outstanding blades.

The vintage English made blades are outstanding. The most recent ones, which look like the german production except made in england, are nearly identical to the german ones, and while acceptable, are nothing to write home about.

A good rule of thumb is that if the blade pack looks like the modern production versions, then its best to avoid, or at least don't expect anything special. The vintage packs look different, most notably that the packs do not have any grooves on them, but rather look like a plain rectangle. They came in various varieties. The most hyped of these being the "Light Brigade" which says "The Blade" on the package. My personal opinion is that while these are good blades, or fantastic blades would be more apt, they really don't perform much differently than the other wilkinson blades from the era, and thats a very very high bar

9 541
 07-09-2012, 08:20 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(07-09-2012, 04:26 AM)daccpa Wrote: Thanks for the reply GI, yes this helps a lot. I looked at Phil's blades and I also found this one on Amazon

[Image: 417J90H53PL._SL500_AA300_.gif]

, do you know if there are any more? Also you mentioned that you have the gold lettered blades and I don't see gold lettering on the blades that Phil is carrying, (except a number 5) mind if I ask where you got yours.
My first ones with Gold lettering on the plastic container came with a Blade sampler pack from Royal Shave. However, I do not see the blades with that packaging advertised on their site at this time.

Another place that has the gold-lettered packaging on display, Razor Blades and More
http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/conten...zor-blades

9 1,684
 07-09-2012, 08:57 AM
User Info
Good info to know, gents. Thanks.

75 20,883