12-18-2015, 01:36 PM
  • jjfar
  • Young priest in a big parish
  • North Carolina
User Info
Just shaved with the  Maggard V3A head with a 7 O'Clock Permasharp from India on its 4th shave,it was fantastic,like a laid back
but super efficient R41.
For the record i have a very thick grey stubble.
For only $10.00 delivered it is the best deal out there.
Two passes to a BBS.
Anybody out here tried[Image: Maggard-Razors-v3A-Aggressive-Closed-Com...00x200.jpg] it?

54 547
 12-18-2015, 01:46 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I've been on the fence with getting one. I don't need another razor but at the deal offered it's worth a shot I'm thinking.

148 3,601
 12-18-2015, 02:00 PM
  • jjfar
  • North Carolina
User Info
I have to reiterate ,i was a little afraid it would be just like my R41(which i loves and adores "Lil Abner") ,but WOW.
It just shaved as smooth as an EJ89  but more efficiently like an R41 .
Also the angle sorta finds itself

54 547
 12-28-2015, 07:11 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
(12-18-2015, 02:00 PM)jjfar Wrote: I have to reiterate ,i was a little afraid it would be just like my R41(which i loves and adores "Lil Abner") ,but WOW.
It just shaved as smooth as an EJ89  but more efficiently like an R41 .
Also the angle sorta finds itself

My daily razor for a year and a half was the R41 on an Ikon Bulldog II handle. I switched to a Shavecraft Tech head a couple of months ago and love it. For me it's a little more efficient, a little smoother, but a little more bloodthirsty. So I've been looking for a razor that's aggressive but gentler, in order to give my skin an occasional reprieve from the Tech. I got the V3A head recently. Yes, WOW -- great performer, beautiful gunmetal finish, no blade alignment issue, and $10 shipped. How could you go wrong? The Maggards have come up with a real winner.

12 166
 12-28-2015, 08:48 PM
User Info
I have the VR2 and that works well for me so I think I may give this a shot. 
The price is right and Maggard has always been a great vendor every time I order from them.

3 109
 01-02-2016, 04:34 PM
User Info
Is it really so good? Probably it will be another group purchase with my Polish wet shavers fellows.

4 58
 01-03-2016, 01:03 PM
  • jjfar
  • North Carolina
User Info
(01-02-2016, 04:34 PM)SP3CtRUM Wrote: Is it really so good? Probably it will be another group purchase with my Polish wet shavers fellows.
Yes it is really that good.
Just shaved with mine and a Gillette Wilkinson Sword from India on its second shave.
As close as an R41 on the first pass (almost DFS) but smooth and slick as a buttered doorknob.
Pull the trigger.

54 547
 01-04-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
Do you think it would make a good DD or travel razor?

0 6
 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
The price was hard to pass so I have one on its way to me. One of my daily shavers was the Matador Toro Mastiff which is pretty agressive, so i'll be happy to compare the two.

10 963
 01-05-2016, 02:13 PM
  • jjfar
  • North Carolina
User Info
(01-04-2016, 07:37 PM)cakeerdeath Wrote: Do you think it would make a good DD or travel razor?

Absolutely;
i have used it with a 2 1/2/inch handle ,no problem at all.
In point of fact , i believe short handles are more efficient than long ones
Just a personal opinion ,no science to back it up.
A short handle usually has a better balance point than a long one.
Back to your question,i suppose almost any razor would make a good travel razor.
 A YMMV sort of thing in the end.

54 547
 01-05-2016, 08:58 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
(01-05-2016, 02:13 PM)jjfar Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 07:37 PM)cakeerdeath Wrote: Do you think it would make a good DD or travel razor?

Absolutely;
Back to your question,i suppose almost any razor would make a good travel razor.
Ditto...as long as you're using a good quality blade and your skin isn't hyper sensitive. Personna Blue Labs, Med Preps, and Gillette Silver Blues all work really good for me. The more I shave with the V3A, the more I like it.

12 166
 01-06-2016, 07:24 AM
  • jjfar
  • North Carolina
User Info
(01-05-2016, 08:58 PM)KRpdx Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 02:13 PM)jjfar Wrote:

Absolutely;
Ditto...as long as you're using a good quality blade and your skin isn't hyper sensitive. Personna Blue Labs, Med Preps, and Gillette Silver Blues all work really good for me. The more I shave with the V3A, the more I like it.
Right you are.
I have gotten it down to, 
Gillete 7 O'Clock Permasharp, Wilkinson Sword (both from India and fantastically smooth
and sharp) and Astra SP.
In fact i just bought another 200 Wilkinson  for $14.00 on
Ebay. I now have enough blades to last me till i am 90 yrs old.

54 547
 01-07-2016, 10:01 AM
User Info
I've used a Wolfman razor since April or so and haven't had any desire for new razors since then.  A couple weeks ago I noticed Maggard was having a sale for the V3 and V3A combo for just under $13, so I bought the set along with a few other items I needed.  It's kind of embarrassing to admit given the cost of the Wolfman, but I get really good shaves with both the V3 and V3A.  They are both efficient and comfortable, given my leanings towards more aggressive razors I think I favor the V3A slightly more, especially given the darker finish.  The V3 looks almost identical to an EJ/Muhle, but it shaves more efficiently.  The only gripe I have about either razor is the blade alignment, which Maggard is open about in their product description.  For a $6.50 razor head I think I will live.

I plan on giving the V3 to my father and keeping the V3A for myself as a backup razor that might see occasional use.

10 407
 01-07-2016, 10:26 AM
User Info
(01-07-2016, 10:01 AM)molon_labe Wrote: I've used a Wolfman razor since April or so and haven't had any desire for new razors since then.  A couple weeks ago I noticed Maggard was having a sale for the V3 and V3A combo for just under $13, so I bought the set along with a few other items I needed.  It's kind of embarrassing to admit given the cost of the Wolfman, but I get really good shaves with both the V3 and V3A.  They are both efficient and comfortable, given my leanings towards more aggressive razors I think I favor the V3A slightly more, especially given the darker finish.  The V3 looks almost identical to an EJ/Muhle, but it shaves more efficiently.  The only gripe I have about either razor is the blade alignment, which Maggard is open about in their product description.  For a $6.50 razor head I think I will live.

I plan on giving the V3 to my father and keeping the V3A for myself as a backup razor that might see occasional use.

Thank you for saying something about the blade alignment. I had the same problem with a Pearl OC head and I ended up swapping topcaps with a Maggard's Closed Comb head that I had in the razor drawer. Now my Pearl OC head blade alignment is equal on both sides. I think Maggard's heads are made by Pearl, because they are made in India. The only other razor company in India I believe is Parker.

Clayton

6 633
 01-07-2016, 10:59 AM
User Info
(01-07-2016, 10:26 AM)chevyguy Wrote:
(01-07-2016, 10:01 AM)molon_labe Wrote: I've used a Wolfman razor since April or so and haven't had any desire for new razors since then.  A couple weeks ago I noticed Maggard was having a sale for the V3 and V3A combo for just under $13, so I bought the set along with a few other items I needed.  It's kind of embarrassing to admit given the cost of the Wolfman, but I get really good shaves with both the V3 and V3A.  They are both efficient and comfortable, given my leanings towards more aggressive razors I think I favor the V3A slightly more, especially given the darker finish.  The V3 looks almost identical to an EJ/Muhle, but it shaves more efficiently.  The only gripe I have about either razor is the blade alignment, which Maggard is open about in their product description.  For a $6.50 razor head I think I will live.

Thank you for saying something about the blade alignment. I had the same problem with a Pearl OC head and I ended up swapping topcaps with a Maggard's Closed Comb head that I had in the razor drawer. Now my Pearl OC head blade alignment is equal on both sides. I think Maggard's heads are made by Pearl, because they are made in India. The only other razor company in India I believe is Parker.

Clayton

You can easily get the blade aligned properly and evenly on both sides, there is just a lot of wiggle room so it take a little more effort than on my Wolfman, which literally fits so well there is no adjustment possible.

10 407
 01-07-2016, 11:31 AM
User Info
(01-07-2016, 10:59 AM)molon_labe Wrote:
(01-07-2016, 10:26 AM)chevyguy Wrote:

Clayton

You can easily get the blade aligned properly and evenly on both sides, there is just a lot of wiggle room so it take a little more effort than on my Wolfman, which literally fits so well there is no adjustment possible.
You shouldn't have to adjust your blade as you tighten down the handle. These companies need better quality control. What's happening is that the tooling that they are using is wearing out and the machinist isn't adjusting it, or replacing it to compensate for the wear.

Clayton

6 633
 01-07-2016, 11:50 AM
User Info
(01-07-2016, 11:31 AM)chevyguy Wrote:
(01-07-2016, 10:59 AM)molon_labe Wrote:
(01-07-2016, 10:26 AM)chevyguy Wrote: Thank you for saying something about the blade alignment. I had the same problem with a Pearl OC head and I ended up swapping topcaps with a Maggard's Closed Comb head that I had in the razor drawer. Now my Pearl OC head blade alignment is equal on both sides. I think Maggard's heads are made by Pearl, because they are made in India. The only other razor company in India I believe is Parker.

Clayton

You shouldn't have to adjust your blade as you tighten down the handle. These companies need better quality control. What's happening is that the tooling that they are using is wearing out and the machinist isn't adjusting it, or replacing it to compensate for the wear.

Clayton
Maybe true. However, at $6-$7 per head it's acceptable. Especially if the shave is almost on par with a $300 razor. You change the blade what, once or twice per week? The extra 20 to 30 seconds it takes to make sure the blade is aligned is not that big a deal.

The Wolfman is the only razor I've had that didn't require attention to blade alignment. That list includes EJ, Muhle, PAA, Fatip, Merkur (4 different models), and Parker, and all of those cost far more than the Maggard heads and only Muhle and EJ were up to the same finish quality as the Maggard. I've got no skin in the game, just saying they are worth more than the price tag.

10 407
 01-07-2016, 01:03 PM
  • jjfar
  • North Carolina
User Info
I agree on alignment.
Line up,tighten up,all done .Now shave

54 547
 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM
User Info
Sometimes they don't even out though, like my Pearl OC. So I swapped topcaps and the alignment evened out. You are correct on the price point though.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

6 633
 01-07-2016, 02:10 PM
User Info
(01-07-2016, 01:45 PM)chevyguy Wrote: Sometimes they don't even out though, like my Pearl OC. So I swapped topcaps and the alignment evened out. You are correct on the price point though.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I agree with you there. I went through 3 Parker 26c razors before I got one that could achieve equal blade alignment. Thank you for Amazons no hassle return policy.  I dont have that issue with either of the Maggards, they just require a little extra TLC to make sure it is loaded straight.

10 407