12-18-2015, 03:04 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
I have a nice wooden SV soap bowl for my Felce - I'm hoping to find something else for the other pucks I have.   Any thoughts about other options aside from what SV offers that fit well? Thanks for any suggestions.

7 325
 12-18-2015, 03:14 PM
User Info
There is a slate bowl which looks really cool

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=33240

21 368
 12-18-2015, 03:41 PM
User Info
(12-18-2015, 03:14 PM)Jsanchez Wrote: There is a slate bowl which looks really cool

I'd love to get that but I haven't seen it available anywhere Sad.

3 1,484
 12-18-2015, 03:49 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
If you want something special, one of the TSN artisans, Brad Sears, will make a bowl for you: http://www.bradsearsshaveworks.com/pages/by-request. I've been very happy with the one that he made for me.

38 5,108
 12-18-2015, 05:12 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Thank you Richard for the great thought 
I like the slate bowl too... 

I messaged qcs about their wood bowls and tubs. Ill post if I find some other good options.

7 325
 12-18-2015, 05:38 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
(12-18-2015, 03:41 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 03:14 PM)Jsanchez Wrote: There is a slate bowl which looks really cool

You can only order it direct from SV

23 598
 12-18-2015, 08:23 PM
User Info
I saw a video that SV posted where it said to take the soap out of the wood bowl when the soap had dried.  What would the purpose of the bowl be if the soap was to be removed every time?

Below is the link to the tweet that had it.

Check out @Sap_Varesino's Tweet:
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

21 368
 12-18-2015, 08:40 PM
User Info
(12-18-2015, 05:38 PM)sch1989 Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 03:41 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:

As far as I can tell, only the wooden bowl is available from the SV website. I've checked for the slate bowl a few times and have never been able to find it.

3 1,484
 12-18-2015, 10:51 PM
User Info
(12-18-2015, 08:40 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 03:41 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: I'd love to get that but I haven't seen it available anywhere Sad.

As far as I can tell, only the wooden bowl is available from the SV website. I've checked for the slate bowl a few times and have never been able to find it.

It was only meant as a limited edition item. My guess is it is sold out.

18 654
 12-18-2015, 11:17 PM
User Info
(12-18-2015, 08:23 PM)Jsanchez Wrote: I saw a video that SV posted where it said to take the soap out of the wood bowl when the soap had dried.  What would the purpose of the bowl be if the soap was to be removed every time?

Below is the link to the tweet that had it.

Check out @Sap_Varesino's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Sap_Varesino/status/...81696?s=09

I would like to know too. SV also says to place the soap with the PET container inside of the wooden bowl and shows such in the video. Well my Soap with PET container doesn't fit in the bowl so I am just putting soap in there and will take my chances on the wood holding up. This is my first wooden bowl but from other I've seen the soaps come in the wooden bowl and do not have a plastic container around them. Am I missing something here?

13 947
 12-19-2015, 05:40 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-18-2015, 03:04 PM)Csd3 Wrote: I have a nice wooden SV soap bowl for my Felce - I'm hoping to find something else for the other pucks I have.   Any thoughts about other options aside from what SV offers that fit well? Thanks for any suggestions.

Shaving soap bowls can be either functional or aesthetically pleasing, and in rare (and usually expensive) instances, both at once. As I keep my shaving soaps inside a cabinet above the sink that has a door that obscures them from view except when I pull one out to use it, function is much more important to me than form.  YMMV.

I save money when I purchase Mystic Water shaving soap by ordering only the refill puck — $9.91 — and put it into a clear glass bowl from one of three makers:  

o  Bormioli Rocco:  the line is caller “Pompei”;
o  Duralex:  the line is called “Lys”;
o  Luminarc:  sometimes the line is called “Arcoroc”; more commonly, simply “Luminarc.”

Sometimes, these are sold by the half dozen for little more than a song, but if you have to purchase them individually, say, at Ace Hardware, one bowl may set you back as much as $1.75.

I like lids on my shave bowls to keep the soap pucks from accelerated drying out, and also to allow the bowls to be stacked three high with the pucks inside.

The snack food industry has conveniently made snap-on lids that fit some of these bowls perfectly, but do not spring a pop quiz on me to tell you which lids fit which bowls.  I can tell you that the yellow lids that adorn Planters peanut tins fit at least one of those bowls, and that the red lids atop house-brand toffee coated peanuts (mine came from Kroger peanuts), which are slightly smaller in diameter than the Planters lids, fit better on most bowls.  It is up to you (and your waistline) to experiment which lids fit best.

If your aesthetic senses find that peanut tin lids are too déjoisie (do not bother attempting to find the definition; you will fail), the very classy high-end Kerr home canning lids will fit snugly inside the rim, and atop their internal shallow shelf, of some of the above glass bowls. 

[Image: 5AZ1YdI.jpg]  
However, one needs either long fingernails and some dexterity to fish the lid out, or, alternatively, to fashion a lifting tab onto the Kerr lid using high-end shiny black electrical tape from your home tool chest.  

(Déjoisie -- pronounced day-zhwah-zee -- is a word totally devoid of meaning; it was coined by a friend of mine in graduate school Back in the Day; its sole function was to be subtlely introduced into the dialogue at social occasions where graduate students were attempting to impress other graduate students with their sophistication.  Typical usage:  “We used to go there often, but recently it has become so déjoisie, don’t you think?”  Then one watches for the nod of agreement.)  

1 1,089
 12-19-2015, 06:44 AM
User Info
(12-18-2015, 03:49 PM)evnpar Wrote: If you want something special, one of the TSN artisans, Brad Sears, will make a bowl for you: http://www.bradsearsshaveworks.com/pages/by-request. I've been very happy with the one that he made for me.

Brad Sears made one for me as well and I am very happy with it.

0 237
 12-19-2015, 07:02 AM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(12-19-2015, 05:40 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 03:04 PM)Csd3 Wrote: I have a nice wooden SV soap bowl for my Felce - I'm hoping to find something else for the other pucks I have.   Any thoughts about other options aside from what SV offers that fit well? Thanks for any suggestions.

Shaving soap bowls can be either functional or aesthetically pleasing, and in rare (and usually expensive) instances, both at once. As I keep my shaving soaps inside a cabinet above the sink that has a door that obscures them from view except when I pull one out to use it, function is much more important to me than form.  YMMV.

I save money when I purchase Mystic Water shaving soap by ordering only the refill puck — $9.91 — and put it into a clear glass bowl from one of three makers:  

o  Bormioli Rocco:  the line is caller “Pompei”;
o  Duralex:  the line is called “Lys”;
o  Luminarc:  sometimes the line is called “Arcoroc”; more commonly, simply “Luminarc.”

Sometimes, these are sold by the half dozen for little more than a song, but if you have to purchase them individually, say, at Ace Hardware, one bowl may set you back as much as $1.75.

I like lids on my shave bowls to keep the soap pucks from accelerated drying out, and also to allow the bowls to be stacked three high with the pucks inside.

The snack food industry has conveniently made snap-on lids that fit some of these bowls perfectly, but do not spring a pop quiz on me to tell you which lids fit which bowls.  I can tell you that the yellow lids that adorn Planters peanut tins fit at least one of those bowls, and that the red lids atop house-brand toffee coated peanuts (mine came from Kroger peanuts), which are slightly smaller in diameter than the Planters lids, fit better on most bowls.  It is up to you (and your waistline) to experiment which lids fit best.

If your aesthetic senses find that peanut tin lids are too déjoisie (do not bother attempting to find the definition; you will fail), the very classy high-end Kerr home canning lids will fit snugly inside the rim, and atop their internal shallow shelf, of some of the above glass bowls. 

[Image: 5AZ1YdI.jpg]  
However, one needs either long fingernails and some dexterity to fish the lid out, or, alternatively, to fashion a lifting tab onto the Kerr lid using high-end shiny black electrical tape from your home tool chest.  

(Déjoisie -- pronounced day-zhwah-zee -- is a word totally devoid of meaning; it was coined by a friend of mine in graduate school Back in the Day; its sole function was to be subtlely introduced into the dialogue at social occasions where graduate students were attempting to impress other graduate students with their sophistication.  Typical usage:  “We used to go there often, but recently it has become so déjoisie, don’t you think?”  Then one watches for the nod of agreement.)  
Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm looking for function over aesthetics for this as well.   There is an Ace a few blocks away and I need some sheet rock anchor bolts anyway so this gives me a good enough reason to make a stop.  

I found an interesting 3.5" option w lid on the Houzz shopping sight.  Its a little deep which might be a good thing, less the need to save space. It has a lid lock that looks similar to a grolsch beer bottle top.  I've found some 4" options too-  a little on the large side.   

Thank you for the great suggestions!

7 325
 12-19-2015, 08:45 AM
User Info
(12-18-2015, 08:40 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 03:41 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: I'd love to get that but I haven't seen it available anywhere Sad.

Looking at SVs Facebook page, the Slate bowl appears to have been a limited edition and is sold out.

2 328
 12-19-2015, 10:55 AM
User Info
while not wood i love these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRH0...3F6BP694CC

they can be had for really cheap if you keep an eye on them. they go down to like 12$ or so for the 6 of them and when they do i grab a couple packs. the lids seal nice you press down the middle and they squeeze out the air. easy to lather in them also. just about every soap i have tried fits almost perfectly in them

these also work well but are not as nice as the other one as far as the lids are concerned. i do have a set and use them but prefer the ones above:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Kitchen-Pyre...WRJAEXQKTG

16 660
 12-19-2015, 01:06 PM
User Info
Also, on Facebook SV is going to release tins for all their current soaps. Probably means you have to buy another puck.

https://www.facebook.com/saponificiovaresino/?fref=nf

2 328
 12-19-2015, 01:43 PM
User Info
(12-19-2015, 01:06 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: Also, on Facebook SV is going to release tins for all their current soaps. Probably means you have to buy another puck.

This is great news! I hope that they sell the tins with the soap poured directly into them like the 70TH and that Bullgoose carries them.

8 845
 12-19-2015, 03:13 PM
User Info
I have one of the Acacia wood bowls from CRSW and while it's nice and all I find that I dont like the open top. Has anyone found a lid or covering short of Saran Wrap that fits the top?

23 656
 12-19-2015, 04:07 PM
User Info
i have one wood bowl with open top and if im not displaying it on the counter i simply place it into a slightly larger tuperware container.

16 660
 12-19-2015, 04:08 PM
User Info
(12-19-2015, 01:43 PM)Dinder1 Wrote:
(12-19-2015, 01:06 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: Also, on Facebook SV is going to release tins for all their current soaps. Probably means you have to buy another puck.

This is great news! I hope that they sell the tins with the soap poured directly into them like the 70TH and that Bullgoose carries them.

i have a 70th and mine was for sure not poured into the tin at least it doesnt look like it was the puck is kind of loose in there and i can pretty easily get it out of the tin as a whole puck... ??

16 660