12-19-2015, 06:38 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I wanted to reintroduce an often overlooked Simpson handle that I find one of the most beautiful treasures in the Simpson line up: THE HARVARD.

[Image: yI4qAx9.jpg]

The Harvard, here in size 4 (handle height: 50mm, width 36mm), is a beautifully formed handle that resembles the PJ but with an additional ring at the bottom. On the Simpson page it is offered only in Best. However, I was lucky enough to receive a custom back in 2013 with a 2 Band knot (24/50mm).

[Image: glBprqq.jpg]

As noted previously, Simpson 2 Band hair due changes in supplier and hair batches has shown quite some variation in recent years. Up to 2011 knots could show a variety of attributes, some soft, some scratchy. As of late 2011 and probably up to late 2013, early 2014, Simpson has what I believe the most wonderful 2 Band batch: super fine hair with extraordinary soft tips, formed into wonderful bulbs. It seems current batches hold no longer up to that standard and even the classic bulb may have been abandoned for more of a hybrid bulb in recent "SILVERTiP" offers.

2011/12 Simpson 2 Band were typically offered in handles with either "Best" or "Super" designation (see Duke 3 below), meaning no special engraving was attributed to them. The hair was referred to as "Super 2 Band". In 2013 the label "SILVERTip" appeared, first on selected Simpson Super 3 Band brushes (see the tortoise Emperor 3 made for T&H) and later as designation for Super 2 Band hair. As you can see, this H4 carries already this designation.

[Image: RRcbcgL.jpg][Image: ynqvXL7.jpg]

Simpson 2 Band hair from the 2011-13 era is my favorite badger hair. While other 2 Band (Thäter, shavemac silvertip, some M&F, Wiborg White) also show extraordinary soft tips,   I believe the Simpson batch of that time to be so unique as the hair is so unbelievable fine: you feel individual tips, not clumps of hair. Of course, this is YMMV.

If you are lucky enough to find a Simpson 2 Band from that period on BST (and I did not grab it up before you), do not hesitate, you are in for a treat...

[Image: Ou5JJJB.jpg]

37 1,861
 12-19-2015, 06:54 AM
User Info
German, that is an amazing looking handle.  Looks like a Persian Jar on steroids! Thanks for sharing.

21 368
 12-19-2015, 07:28 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
A superb piece in your collection, thank you for bringing the H4 out as its in the Simpson catalog but never seen in person. What a beauty this handle shape is, having a PJ in my own collection this shape looks a bit sexier and even more comfortable to hold, it's 2 band knot looks simply breathtaking in its shape and overall appearance.
Your 2 band collection and knowledge is such the benefit to this forum, thank you for sharing this overlooked piece with us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

35 1,329
 12-19-2015, 07:38 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(12-19-2015, 07:28 AM)refles Wrote: A superb piece in your collection, thank you for bringing the H4 out as its in the Simpson catalog but never seen in person. What a beauty this handle shape is, having a PJ in my own collection this shape looks a bit sexier and even more comfortable to hold, it's 2 band knot looks simply breathtaking in its shape and overall appearance.
Your 2 band collection and knowledge is such the benefit to this forum, thank you for sharing this overlooked piece with us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, Fabian. Very kind of you.

37 1,861
 12-19-2015, 07:59 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
And here's the PJ... basically the Harvard without the dress shoes.
[Image: ZzFC90Y.jpg]

143 1,984
 12-19-2015, 08:22 AM
User Info
German, I'm very interested in this particular brush.  I don't yet own a Simpson and the Harvard is one I'm considering for sentimental reasons...it's my Alma Mater.  Can you tell me what the standard knot size is for the H4?  Also, my understanding is that you can't custom order from Simpson with different hair and/or handle colors.  How do people keep getting these special brushes from Simpson?  Is there a mailing list?  Thanks and sorry for the noob questions when it comes to Simpson!  

Alex

11 973
 12-19-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
German,
Excellent post with lots of good information. The brush is certainly beautiful. I personally appreciate this thread as I don't know much about Simpson SilverTip and was looking for more info on this, hence my other thread.
I believe the chances are very slim to find one of these brushes from this certain era.
I really like the H4 handle, seems like a perfect handle for both face and bowl lathering. Enjoy it

2 132
 12-19-2015, 08:44 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
(12-19-2015, 07:59 AM)Shanman Wrote: And here's the PJ... basically the Harvard without the dress shoes.

That's another beauty which I feel is seen more than the Harvard series but still a very rare site these days, love seeing these not often seen examples. Thank you Jeff, German.
Jeff your reserved squirrel hair collection and insight is another asset with your experience!

** Jeff, I'm truly finding the Best Badger knot in the Eagle 3 to really enjoyable that feel of the hair and tips are just amazing. It was well worth the wait to have had it on my 'wanted list' of brushes for so long.

35 1,329
 12-19-2015, 08:59 AM
User Info
Georg how many of the brushes in your Simpsons collection are bespoke? I know some of them are but just didn't know which ones.

63 1,720
 12-19-2015, 09:03 AM
User Info
(12-19-2015, 06:54 AM)Jsanchez Wrote: German, that is an amazing looking handle.  Looks like a Persian Jar on steroids! Thanks for sharing.

That's basically what the H4 was. If I'm not mistaken the Harvard line was made for the US market, to be the US analog to the Persian Jar. It was a bit more curvy and had that line around the base.

I always thought the Harvard brush was criminally under-discussed. One of the man issues was its sizes; I believe it goes from 16mm, 18mm, 20mm, and then leaps to the H4 which is around 24-25mm. It is also a bit floppy, but the "Silvertip"/2-band knot should easily remedy that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 12-19-2015, 09:23 AM
User Info
There was also an H5 that was posted on here awhile back that had a 25.7mm knot.  
How high did the Harvard line go?

21 368
 12-19-2015, 09:34 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(12-19-2015, 09:23 AM)Jsanchez Wrote: There was also an H5 that was posted on here awhile back that had a 25.7mm knot.  
How high did the Harvard line go?

All the way to size 6.Though I have not seen one in the "wild".

37 1,861
 12-19-2015, 09:39 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(12-19-2015, 08:59 AM)NSmalls Wrote: Georg how many of the brushes in your Simpsons collection are bespoke? I know some of them are but just didn't know which ones.

At the time (2011-13) I custom ordered about 9 in 2 Band: H4, X3, Eagle 3, Classic 1, Tulip 2 & 3, PJ 2, Chubby 1 & 2. Others were purchased before the MAP came in to play. Prior to that  2 Bands used to be sold through regular retailers. I also picked up a few on BST when that specific hair got less and less available.

37 1,861
 12-19-2015, 09:42 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Some of the bespoke Simpson 2 Band:

[Image: cvWsQvr.jpg]

[Image: kodDG7I.jpg]

[Image: hBLIMls.jpg]

[Image: xctBcYw.jpg]

[Image: RVe3d1k.jpg]

37 1,861
 12-19-2015, 09:47 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(12-19-2015, 08:22 AM)surfshaver Wrote: German, I'm very interested in this particular brush.  I don't yet own a Simpson and the Harvard is one I'm considering for sentimental reasons...it's my Alma Mater.  Can you tell me what the standard knot size is for the H4?  Also, my understanding is that you can't custom order from Simpson with different hair and/or handle colors.  How do people keep getting these special brushes from Simpson?  Is there a mailing list?  Thanks and sorry for the noob questions when it comes to Simpson!  

Alex

Simpson has largely stopped making custom brushes upon inquiry (I had a final order pending in 2013 that got never fulfilled). Since then popular brush handles (Duke, Chubby, M7 etc) appear from time to time in the LE section or more common get advertised in small numbers on Facebook or Twitter. Most of these are Manchurian hair, some are the current "SILVERTiP" 2 Band hair, which I personally find less appealing than the 2011-13 batches offered.

Your best bet is to inquire with Mark Watterson at Simpson via email. He may fulfill an order for a Harvard in other than "Best" hair that is part of the regular production line.

37 1,861
 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
And forgot one very special 2 Band (at least to me). The Chubby 2. The one below, besides having that "famous" batch of hair, also has a rather short loft (46mm) that in this specific case makes it feel "pillow like" given the density and size of the knot.

[Image: 70h2W7y.jpg]

37 1,861
 12-19-2015, 09:56 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Jeff was so kind to part with his "Rover" that I was glad to add to my Simpson 2 Band collection. Thanks, Jeff.

[Image: BmVHZhF.jpg]

37 1,861
 12-19-2015, 10:07 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Wonderful collection, G - congrats!

I do have to say that I also have a few Simpson's 2-Band brushes from the 2011-2014 era and, while I find them to be superb, I feel that the current Shavemac's Silvertip 2-Band hair has extremely similar characteristics (hair thickness, backbone and whiteness of tips), and is equally superb. In fact, given a blind test with a knot from each manufacturer, with similar size, loft and density, I couldn't honestly tell the difference. But, as you very well put it, YMMV.

26 4,927
 12-19-2015, 10:09 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Glad it went to a good home Georg, you surely have the most comprehensive early twenty-teen Simpson 2 band collection. The Rover you can add to your list of bespoke brushes as it was never offered in silvertip..

143 1,984
 12-19-2015, 10:10 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(12-19-2015, 10:07 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Wonderful collection, G - congrats!

I do have to say that I also have a few Simpson's 2-Band brushes from the 2011-2014 era and, while I find them to be superb, I feel that the current Shavemac's Silvertip 2-Band hair has extremely similar characteristics (hair thickness, backbone and whiteness of tips), and is equally superb. In fact, given a blind test with a knot from each manufacturer, with similar size, loft and density, I couldn't honestly tell the difference. But, as you very well put it, YMMV.

David, I agree, the current shavemac silvertip 2 Band is an exquisite hair. I own a few myself...  Cool

37 1,861