12-19-2015, 10:04 PM
User Info
I read a lot of reviews from online shaving magazines, blogs, etc from time to time. One thing I have found at least a few times if not more is people that do a review of a Green Irish Tweed scented (clone) shaving soap and give a rating or opinion on how good of a job they did but then admit that they haven't ever smelled the real Green Irish Tweed. I don't get it. If they just rated how nice of a scent it is that would make sense, but as can be seen below from one example that is not the case. I just found it interesting, that's all.

The scent seemed like a pretty decent Green Irish Tweed imitation (keeping in mind that I’ve never smelled the actual stuff!).

13 947
 12-20-2015, 05:38 AM
User Info
Ha, excellent post!

55 923
 12-20-2015, 05:43 AM
User Info
On a related note, I will say that I have used and smelled some of the more popular fragrances used in dupes (GIT, SMW, Aventus, TdH, Guerlain Vetiver) and it's really remarkable how good the FO duping industry has gotten.

It's not an excuse not to actually compare side-by-side with the original, but these dupers have gotten damn good at recapitulating the original scents.

16 1,027
 12-20-2015, 06:43 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
My favorite is when people complain about something smelling exactly as it says it should (both Cade and CF Cedar/Sandal come to mind).

Or, otherwise, when people smell a fragrance by one manufacturer and then think that's how it should smell every time (the variation in synthetic sandalwood scents is what comes to mind... Like the God-awful TOBS sandalwood soap Smile ).

59 2,805
 12-20-2015, 10:50 AM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 06:43 AM)Nero Wrote: My favorite is when people complain about something smelling exactly as it says it should (both Cade and CF Cedar/Sandal come to mind).

Or, otherwise, when people smell a fragrance by one manufacturer and then think that's how it should smell every time (the variation in synthetic sandalwood scents is what comes to mind... Like the God-awful TOBS sandalwood soap Smile ).

Good points! The sandalwood is so true. Some people probably don't realize there are different sandalwood oils available such as Indian, Australian, Mysore, etc.

13 947
 12-20-2015, 10:55 AM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 05:43 AM)crazindndude Wrote: On a related note, I will say that I have used and smelled some of the more popular fragrances used in dupes (GIT, SMW, Aventus, TdH, Guerlain Vetiver) and it's really remarkable how good the FO duping industry has gotten.

It's not an excuse not to actually compare side-by-side with the original, but these dupers have gotten damn good at recapitulating the original scents.

I agree, and Stirling's Executive Man is one that I enjoy very much.

13 947
 12-20-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
People are foolish.

18 713
 12-20-2015, 04:20 PM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 10:50 AM)Hobbyist Wrote: ...there are different sandalwood oils available such as Indian, Australian, Mysore, etc.
Most/all shaving sandalwood offerings contain the Australian variety, and not Mysore (from India). 
The pure oil is typically blended with other fragrance.
(Pure Australian, is less potent, and not as smooth and creamy, versus pure Mysore.)

0 485
 12-20-2015, 04:58 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I know we've kind of drifted away from the original subject of the thread, but..........My first sandalwood soap was from Crabtree & Evelyn. (I don't know how many versions ago). I really enjoyed the scent, so I ordered some Proraso Red. Wow, I didn't know which one, but I knew one of them was seriously wrong! They smell nothing alike! At least all of the Bay Rums I've tried have at least been similar to one another, but sandalwood seems to be all over the place.

And for the OP; I agree that's pretty silly. I once saw a video review of a straight razor that I had been eyeing, and he was reviewing it informing us how well it shaved as he was unpackaging it. He finished his review by saying he could hardly wait to have it sharpened and try it.

0 272
 12-20-2015, 05:41 PM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 04:20 PM)ask4Edge Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 10:50 AM)Hobbyist Wrote: ...there are different sandalwood oils available such as Indian, Australian, Mysore, etc.
Most/all shaving sandalwood offerings contain the Australian variety, and not Mysore (from India). 
(Pure Australian, is less potent, and not as smooth and creamy, versus pure Mysore.)

Could be a shortcoming of my nose, but the AoS tallow sandalwood smells spot-on when compared to genuine sandalwood. My family have several items handcarved from real Indian sandalwood (pre-ban), which I used as a reference.

Obviously at $15 a puck they are not using Mysore sandalwood oil, which suggests to me someone has developed a fantastic synthetic dupe.

16 1,027
 12-20-2015, 08:04 PM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 05:41 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Could be a shortcoming of my nose, but the AoS tallow sandalwood smells spot-on when compared to genuine sandalwood. My family have several items handcarved from real Indian sandalwood (pre-ban), which I used as a reference.

Obviously at $15 a puck they are not using Mysore sandalwood oil, which suggests to me someone has developed a fantastic synthetic dupe.
I'm very much familiar with those pre-ban era carvings, and I just adore the scent!
However, to my nose, although I find AoS quite similar, I don't find it's identical - AoS, to me, doesn't smell as pure, or natural.
This is congruous with their shaving soap package-label: fragrance, plus Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin and Hexyl Cinnamal.
Their "fragrance" is a blend of genuine sandalwood EO (just not from Mysore, although they seem to suggest so), plus other EOs.

Having said all that, I do think AoS is probably the single best/closest interpretation of sandalwood! This can't be said of the majority of interpretations out there - for exampe, TOBS is made way too floral, and TH is more cologne than sandalwood.

0 485
 12-20-2015, 08:42 PM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 04:20 PM)ask4Edge Wrote:

You are probably correct if saying most but not all as there are some exceptions. My Crabtree & Evelyn is Indian Sandalwood, and my B&M Vetyver Santal has New Caledonia Sandalwood absolute in it. According to C&E the Indian Sandalwood contains Indian Sandalwood extract. I believe most shaving soaps however use Sandalwood fragrance oils for cost savings.

13 947
 12-20-2015, 10:14 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-20-2015, 04:58 PM)Java Wrote: I agree that's pretty silly. I once saw a video review of a straight razor that I had been eyeing, and he was reviewing it informing us how well it shaved as he was unpackaging it. He finished his review by saying he could hardly wait to have it sharpened and try it.

Some time when you have extra time to kill, visit amazon.com and search for bear repellant.  (It is an aerosol spray that lays down a cloud of mist on the ground between you and the bear that the bear abhors.)  Most of the reviews give the product 5 stars, but when you read the reviews, almost every one states that the reviewer has not yet had the opportunity actually to use the product to which he or she is assigning the highest possible rating.

1 1,086
 12-20-2015, 10:47 PM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 10:14 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 04:58 PM)Java Wrote: I agree that's pretty silly. I once saw a video review of a straight razor that I had been eyeing, and he was reviewing it informing us how well it shaved as he was unpackaging it. He finished his review by saying he could hardly wait to have it sharpened and try it.

Some time when you have extra time to kill, visit amazon.com and search for bear repellant.  (It is an aerosol spray that lays down a cloud of mist on the ground between you and the bear that the bear abhors.)  Most of the reviews give the product 5 stars, but when you read the reviews, almost every one states that the reviewer has not yet had the opportunity actually to use the product to which he or she is assigning the highest possible rating.

Lol! That's a good one.

13 947
 12-21-2015, 12:40 AM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 08:42 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: You are probably correct if saying most but not all as there are some exceptions. My Crabtree & Evelyn is Indian Sandalwood, and my B&M Vetyver Santal has New Caledonia Sandalwood absolute in it. According to C&E the Indian Sandalwood contains Indian Sandalwood extract
To clarify, most or all sandalwood comes from Australia, and not Mysore, India.
I'm not aware of any shaving agent which contains sandalwood harvested from India.
The species of sandalwood, native to Mysore, is Santalum Album; there are many species of sandalwood native to Australia, but only a few of which, are considered commercially imortant (e.g.: Santalum Austrocaledonium and S. Spicatum).
In Australia, harvesting of sandalwood from root-stock of S. album, is a recent development; but it is commercially available.

Companies are under no legal obligation to specify to the consumer the origin of EO. But more than that - legally - Sandalwood planted, grown and processed in Australia, may be presented (or misrepresented) as "Indian Sandalwood extract."

0 485
 12-21-2015, 07:48 AM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 10:14 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

Lol. Too funny. I totalltotally need to check this out

0 55
 12-21-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
< chuckle > [Image: smile.gif]

0 485
 12-21-2015, 03:31 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
For me, this isn't much different from giving a review of a product on how easily it lathers and nice it smells but not how well it shaves. And we see these OFTEN.

59 2,805
 12-23-2015, 03:43 AM
User Info
(12-20-2015, 08:04 PM)ask4Edge Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 05:41 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Could be a shortcoming of my nose, but the AoS tallow sandalwood smells spot-on when compared to genuine sandalwood. My family have several items handcarved from real Indian sandalwood (pre-ban), which I used as a reference.

I'm very much familiar with those pre-ban era carvings, and I just adore the scent!
However, to my nose, although I find AoS quite similar, I don't find it's identical - AoS, to me, doesn't smell as pure, or natural.
This is congruous with their shaving soap package-label: fragrance, plus Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin and Hexyl Cinnamal.
Their "fragrance" is a blend of genuine sandalwood EO (just not from Mysore, although they seem to suggest so), plus other EOs.

[...]

Hi,

That label doesn't mean that the scent is a blend, per se.
Those kind of components may be present either in natural or synthetic EO's. But according to legislation, some of them must be declared in the label.

A natural EO, despite being natural, is a mix of several substances. And some of them - like Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin or Hexyl Cinnamal - may be allergenic to some people.
So, according to the European law (and probably the US law), even if you are only using a natural EO, you still need to declare in the label some of the components that are present in your natural EO.

Saying that, that may be the case of AoS - or not.
But those three components - most probably, I dare to say - are naturally present in the natural sandalwood EO that they use. But I may be wrong.

2 5,547
 12-23-2015, 06:59 AM
User Info
(12-23-2015, 03:43 AM)oversaturn Wrote: That label doesn't mean that the scent is a blend, per se.
Correct - "fragrance" is a broad term. However, most shaving "sandalwood" scents are not scented only with sandalwood EO, but also with other EO(s) - for example, DRH, TH, TOBS, etcetera. AoS doesn't seem to be an exception: as per their website, the AoS Sandalwood EdT also features, jasmin absolute EO, as well as fir needle and eucalyptus EOs.
(FWIW, as per one basenotes review, pre-P&G AoS Sandalwood, was advertised to contain the aforementioned EOs, plus Myrrh, Patchouli and Vanilla.)

(12-23-2015, 03:43 AM)oversaturn Wrote: But those three components - most probably, I dare to say - are naturally present in the natural sandalwood EO that they use. But I may be wrong.
The active ingredient in sandalwood is santalol; numerous sandalwood-specific synthetics/analogues are available, for example sandal pentanol, sandal hexanol, etcetera.
But, those other three components in AoS (AAI, C, HC) are additives/aromatics, routinely used in the fragrance industry; none are analogues of santolol.

0 485