12-21-2015, 03:43 AM
User Info
I'm interested in people's thoughts on "uberlather". 

I've never tried to make one .... I guess I've never seen the need. I always figured a good quality soap should be all you need for a great lather. And I always assumed that mixing in another component would change and probably detract from a good scent.

So I guess I'm keen to understand why people make up an uberlather. Is it to generate heaps of lather, or to impart a different quality - ie improve the slickness or post shave face feel etc?

1 81
 12-21-2015, 04:19 AM
User Info
i have really no idea - but try it out Wink

7 1,624
 12-21-2015, 07:03 AM
User Info
I, also, don't understand the need for this if you use a good soap. I guess you can always load your soap for 10 minutes if you really want that 'uber' lather. Biggrin

82 21,056
 12-21-2015, 07:32 AM
User Info
I have honestly never had the need for "überlather". I believe if u properly load and generate lather that's all u need. Überlather or superlather as I read about to me is a "bandaid" in the lather making process. Adding a cream that lathers very easily to a soap. I feel it's an unnecessary step. Either use a soap or a cream. I don't see the need for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82 2,178
 12-21-2015, 07:56 AM
User Info
There is an older thread here that goes into some details of überlather and how to define it... from my understanding superlather and überlather is two separate but related concepts.

3 4,373
 12-21-2015, 11:21 AM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 04:19 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i have really no idea - but try it out Wink

Why not hey? I'll give it a go and report back.

1 81
 12-21-2015, 11:24 AM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 03:43 AM)Basilsniffer Wrote:  I always figured a good quality soap should be all you need for a great lather. 

Me too. I never saw any point to uberlather.

15 771
 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 07:03 AM)celestino Wrote: I, also, don't understand the need for this if you use a good soap. I guess you can always load your soap for 10 minutes if you really want that 'uber' lather. Biggrin

? It's one of those wet shaving things I never got.

1 81
 12-21-2015, 11:32 AM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 07:32 AM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: I have honestly never had the need for "überlather". I believe if u properly load and generate lather that's all u need. Überlather or superlather as I read about to me is a "bandaid" in the lather making process. Adding a cream that lathers very easily to a soap. I feel it's an unnecessary step. Either use a soap or a cream. I don't see the need for both.

Thanks, I agree. And I think this is a bit of ignorance on my behalf. Digging around the web I see there are distinctions between a super lather or an uberlather. When I thought of uberlather I was thinking of a soap and a cream mixed.

1 81
 12-21-2015, 11:34 AM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 07:56 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: There is an older thread here that goes into some details of überlather and how to define it... from my understanding superlather and überlather is two separate but related concepts.

Cheers Hans. I wonder where that experiment finished up?

1 81
 12-21-2015, 11:36 AM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 11:34 AM)Basilsniffer Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 07:56 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: There is an older thread here that goes into some details of überlather and how to define it... from my understanding superlather and überlather is two separate but related concepts.

Cheers Hans. I wonder where that experiment finished up?

I wish I knew, sadly he havn't been posting in a looong time  Sad

3 4,373
 12-21-2015, 12:31 PM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 11:32 AM)Basilsniffer Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 07:32 AM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: I have honestly never had the need for "überlather". I believe if u properly load and generate lather that's all u need. Überlather or superlather as I read about to me is a "bandaid" in the lather making process. Adding a cream that lathers very easily to a soap. I feel it's an unnecessary step. Either use a soap or a cream. I don't see the need for both.

Thanks, I agree. And I think this is a bit of ignorance on my behalf. Digging around the web I see there are distinctions between a super lather or an uberlather. When I thought of uberlather I was thinking of a soap and a cream mixed.

Haha my ignorance as well. I honestly thought that they were the same thing. I need to do more research as well. If u don't mind me asking what's the difference in the 2?

82 2,178
 12-21-2015, 12:36 PM
User Info
AFAIK, and don't quote me on this, superlather is made by combining soap and cream - something I've done myself just to try it - while überlather is the art of creating a very rich and dense lather from a single soap. Also umlauts Smile

And to complicate matters there is also ultralather... which I believe is another way to say überlather but I'm not entirely sure - it may be that überlather is inspired by ultralather.

3 4,373
 12-21-2015, 02:45 PM
User Info
Right, so the good folk at B&B on a 2011 thread define them as:

Superlather: soap + shaving cream

überlather: soap + shaving cream + a few drops of glycerin

I don't know that we have a consensus here, but I feel like I'm learning ! Biggrin And I also now know what umlauts are. Biggrin

1 81
 12-21-2015, 06:00 PM
User Info
All of this sounds like people who like to overthink things.  Next up will be super duper uber goober lather.  Soap + cream + glycerin + [Image: fIuQLSs.jpg]

0 135
 12-21-2015, 07:00 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
I've done the uberlather with the glycerine. It does alter the lather substantially for me-very creamy, bodies up the soap well. Haven't used it in about a year, as I take it out during the winter with a hot scuttle. My typically routine is face lathering, so the scuttle/uberlather is seasonal for me.

19 726
 12-21-2015, 09:01 PM
User Info
To get back the OP's interest in thoughts on uberlather (with or without umlauts) as the idea of combining different soaps or creams.  I think one could make it from mixing any two or more soaps, creams, other ingredients.  Although it seems like it would be tedious and silly to use more than two.  

That said, what I get from it is an occasional ability to get good lather with a soap or cream with a great scent, but otherwise dreadful lathering properties.  For example, I really enjoy the scent of the Pre de Provence 63 cream.  It's lather however, is frankly...crap.  But I am too lazy and cheap to throw it away, I received an Art of Shaving Unscented tub of cream, and so they go together.  Works great.

I also occasionally get the ability to pair something with a faint or faint and complimentary scent with something with a stronger scent that I like in order make it last longer.  For example, the Razorock Montebianco scent is too faint for my preference, so it has been going with some other out of production soaps I can't replace.  Also works great.  

Admittedly, don't know about some other separate super lather.  I say enjoy what you have.

26 245
 12-22-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
I don't see the need for it, but I can also see that experimenting with these combinations could be fun.

48 5,717
 12-23-2015, 12:33 AM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 11:21 AM)Basilsniffer Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 04:19 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i have really no idea - but try it out Wink

Why not hey? I'll give it a go and report back.

Ok so here is my attempt. A super lather! 

And it's also my first time posting photos so hopefully I won't stuff this up.

The lather - a mix of Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet soap and cream. I figured why mess up a good scent with a different cream if I didn't need to.

Getting started:

[Image: bzD5eFC.jpg]

With the BB soap loaded for about 10 seconds and then transferred to the bowl:

[Image: 1q19k8T.jpg]

I then added to the bowl an almond sized amount of the cream and kept lathering till I got this:

[Image: WG8pmzr.jpg]

The shave that followed was great. A very creamy lather with a very smooth glide for my razor.

But ... I had enough lather for about ten passes. As a straight razor shaver I like a fairly thin lather, so everything in the bowl went down the drain, as I didn't take the chubby 2 back to the bowl between the three passes.

And though the lather was incredibly smooth, it didn't feel markedly different to the soap on its own.  Similarly the face feel was pretty much the same as when I use the soap alone.

My overall impression is that this technique isn't for me. It's a bit of a waste a product, and the shave was no better than my normal shaves.

But as they say, each to their own though - I certainly won't knock anyone for doing something that works well for them.

1 81
 12-23-2015, 03:22 AM
User Info
you certainly got the right remedies for this one try, adam Wink  great pics!

7 1,624