12-21-2015, 09:42 AM
User Info
Just got in the new improved Rockwell 6S after pre-order in November. No longer on Kickstarter the company is on their own. I never had the original version and loads of complaints about fit and finish. Well apparently all that has changed since they decided to go sintering instead of straight machining. The entire razor set with stand and all comes in with a nice matte finish without any flaws that I can detect. The razor weighs in at a hefty 119 grams and is 95 mm long with perfect grip and balance. Here is what you get for your money.        (note: razor stand is optional)
3 bottom plates that are reversible
R1 & R3 mild
R2 & R4 medium
R5 & R6 aggressive

1 top plate
1 handle
1 razor stand (6.4 oz)
1 metal case

The Shave

[Image: QXIkFCH.jpg]I started backwards that is using the most aggressive bottom plate R6 and doing only one pass since I shaved this morning. I inserted a new Rockwell Swedish blade and got an excellent very smooth shave considering the blade is really exposed but it won't hurt you. I will compare the aggressiveness to the R41 (2013) but much smoother. Tomorrow morning I will using the R5 plate, etc until I go through all the plates. A quick analysis I am really like what Rockwell did to greatly improve their razor. Total cost with UPS Express shipping from Canada for under $100.

119 13,020
 12-21-2015, 09:46 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I believed in this project from the start. It's a clever idea, but these guys had no experience with manufacturing, so they made a few regrettable missteps. I'm glad the newest iteration is better. I actually got a few OK shaves out of my first-generation, but the finish looked awful. Since they're shipping free updates to all of their original backers, I'm eagerly awaiting my shipment.

22 824
 12-21-2015, 10:19 AM
User Info
Looks much improved.  Any chance for a few more photos?

2 1,397
 12-21-2015, 10:26 AM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 10:19 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Looks much improved.  Any chance for a few more photos?

I will try for more pictures tomorrow morning when I change bottom plates. The finish and tolerances were spot on. The blade aligns perfectly.

119 13,020
 12-21-2015, 12:00 PM
  • UnCL3
  • Dallas, TexUS
User Info
Nice!
I like the price, too...if it works well I may have to try one (altho I prefer OC razors).

3 61
 12-21-2015, 12:49 PM
User Info
You mean they sent you something usable? Wow that's surprising coming from those two scam artists.

61 1,710
 12-21-2015, 12:52 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I don't know if I'd go that far, Nick. They were kids, fresh out of college. They made a lot of mistakes, but to date, they seem to be trying their best to make good on a bad situation. And being an original backer of the project, you're entitled to one of these new ones, free of charge.

22 824
 12-21-2015, 12:54 PM
User Info
I have no sympathy. I am a kid in college and that doesn't set a precedent for me to be dishonest with people that back my ideas.

61 1,710
 12-21-2015, 12:58 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I may have (legitimately) missed the dishonesty. You may be privy to more as a forum admin than what I experienced.

Dishonesty warrants an entirely different treatment than mistakes and poor choices.

22 824
 12-21-2015, 01:05 PM
User Info
Sending out the caps knowing they were less than satisfactory is all I need to know regardless of my status at the time. When I get to a computer I can post all of the screen shots from my email account if you really want...

Basically I asked them for a refund after receiving not one but two terribly manufactured pieces of garbage and was told that it was in Kick Startera terms and conditions that they are not required to refund disappointed customers. 

I called chase bank and they took care of it for me. Take that for terms and conditions.

61 1,710
 12-21-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
I would like to see this thread continue but I can assure you the moderators will close it if this discussion gets out of hand. Please be respectful of others.

119 13,020
 12-21-2015, 02:55 PM
User Info
I actually really like my Rockwell.   Yea I had to switch to a EJ 89 top cap for a little while (and that cap did not fit all the base plates due to the varying thickness) but with a good cap, it is a great razor esp considering the price.

I can't wait for my replacements either!

Thanks for the update.

18 642
 12-21-2015, 03:17 PM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 02:55 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: I actually really like my Rockwell.   Yea I had to switch to a EJ 89 top cap for a little while (and that cap did not fit all the base plates due to the varying thickness) but with a good cap, it is a great razor esp considering the price.

I can't wait for my replacements either!

Thanks for the update.

I think the full replacements are going out very soon. You are going to be very happy with the re-build. They have adjusted the blade exposure and the razors are no longer machined instead they use a process called MIM (metal injection molding) or sintering.  They are producing a lot or razors in a short period of time with just about zero quality issues. My razor came with a note stating it was fully inspected before being shipped to me. I did a thorough inspection myself when it arrived today and it's flawless. The finish is very similar to the Feather using the same process. It's just a wonderful razor for the price IMHO.

119 13,020
 12-21-2015, 04:48 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Those Rockwell baseplates were never machined - the original ones were rough cast stainless steel, which has tolerances far too low for use in a razor. The top caps had some post-casting machine work to make them look nicer. The second batch had a little more machining, but with the baseplates in the state they were in, there was really no way to get consistency out of the razor.

MiM has much higher tolerances, but the process is more expensive and complicated. Feather and possibly iKon razors use this process. (iKon Razors may use an older sintering technique that produces similar results, but Greg isn't known to be very open about his process.) The MiM process scales very well, that is, the more of an item you make, the cheaper the per-unit cost is. The significant downside is that the initial setup cost is very high. The highest precision comes from machining a billet of metal. Your tolerances can be extremely high, depending on the expense and quality of the tools you use, combined with the skill of the machinist. This process, however, barely scales at all. The cost of one hundred machined parts is nearly one hundred times that of the cost of one. It's great for one-off parts, but very difficult for mass production.

So it sounds like Rockwell made a big investment in the MiM process. So long as they have good quality control, they should be able to mass produce the razors relatively cheaply, and with pretty good quality.

I'll be checking my mailbox every day now. :-D

22 824
 12-21-2015, 05:00 PM
User Info
totally love the look of it.

0 55
 12-22-2015, 05:03 AM
User Info
Used plate #5 this morning. Slightly less aggressive then plate 6 but extremely smooth and close. I will give a lot credit to the Rockwell Swedish blades included in the razor package.

119 13,020
 12-22-2015, 08:07 AM
User Info
I am waiting for my replacement razor.  Eager to try it.   I thought the first one was a nice shot.  However, the original razor with the original top cap was very harsh to my face.   I tried a couple of other top caps as recommended, but couldnt get it smooth enough to consider it in my rotation.  I am looking forward to getting my replacement.  Thanks for the reviews.

0 6
 12-22-2015, 11:00 AM
User Info
I will take the plunge right after the holidays, they look great to me.  sorry to hear some folks were so butt hurt on the start up issues but i have to say this system offers something i really want; adjustability in a 3 pc razor, that is very few moving parts, yea baby, i like that so if it shaves smooth that is all i need to hear it is well worth $80.

0 10
 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 09:42 AM)slantman Wrote: Just got in the new improved Rockwell 6S after pre-order in November. No longer on Kickstarter the company is on their own. I never had the original version and loads of complaints about fit and finish. Well apparently all that has changed since they decided to go sintering instead of straight machining. The entire razor set with stand and all comes in with a nice matte finish without any flaws that I can detect. The razor weighs in at a hefty 119 grams and is 95 mm long with perfect grip and balance. Here is what you get for your money.        (note: razor stand is optional)
R1 & R3 mild
R2 & R4 medium
R5 & R6 aggressive

1 top plate
1 handle
1 razor stand (6.4 oz)
1 metal case

The Shave

[Image: QXIkFCH.jpg]I started backwards that is using the most aggressive bottom plate R6 and doing only one pass since I shaved this morning. I inserted a new Rockwell Swedish blade and got an excellent very smooth shave considering the blade is really exposed but it won't hurt you. I will compare the aggressiveness to the R41 (2013) but much smoother. Tomorrow morning I will using the R5 plate, etc until I go through all the plates. A quick analysis I am really like what Rockwell did to greatly improve their razor. Total cost with UPS Express shipping from Canada for under $100.

How did the shave go today on the R5 plate?

0 14
 12-22-2015, 02:03 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(12-22-2015, 12:22 PM)Belmakor Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 09:42 AM)slantman Wrote: Just got in the new improved Rockwell 6S after pre-order in November. No longer on Kickstarter the company is on their own. I never had the original version and loads of complaints about fit and finish. Well apparently all that has changed since they decided to go sintering instead of straight machining. The entire razor set with stand and all comes in with a nice matte finish without any flaws that I can detect. The razor weighs in at a hefty 119 grams and is 95 mm long with perfect grip and balance. Here is what you get for your money.        (note: razor stand is optional)
R1 & R3 mild
R2 & R4 medium
R5 & R6 aggressive

1 top plate
1 handle
1 razor stand (6.4 oz)
1 metal case

The Shave

How did the shave go today on the R5 plate?

(pssst> look up about three posts back)

139 2,677