05-14-2017, 03:25 AM
User Info
(05-13-2017, 04:15 PM)DEKey Wrote:
(05-13-2017, 03:29 PM)GoHabs Wrote:
(05-13-2017, 02:41 PM)ARGH Wrote: I had a chance to compare my R6S plate#3 to Timeless .68 and plate #4 to the .95 and the Rockwell worked for me much better in both cases. Long story short, I sold the Timeless and now the Rockwell is a permanent member of my rotation together with  BlackBirds, Webers PH, and Wolfman.

I have both a 0.68 Timeless and a Rockwell 6 S.  I agree that the Rockwell on plate 3 feels similar to the 0.68 Timeless.  I am surprised that one plate up on the Rockwell (4) would be equal to a 0.95 Timeless.  There is not much of an increase in blade gap on the Rockwell from plate 3 to 4, but the difference in blade gap between the 2 Timeless heads is much grater.
How would you characterize the shave between the 6S and the Timeless?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Both razors are great.  They are equally smooth, but there is more blade feel with the Rockwell on plate 3 (not in a bad way).  If I had to pick just one, I would go for the Rockwell as it is adjustable (and cheaper).

1 193
 11-03-2017, 05:47 AM
User Info
Hello everyone! Can you compare this safety razor with the Maggard V3A?

1 32
 09-24-2018, 12:38 AM
User Info
After now several shaves with my Rockwell 6S, it seems wise to me to make you my return, the most complete possible,

firstly, it seems important to remind you that my skin is not particularly sensitive but that I have the hair rather thick and hard. I usually look for combos rather effective. However, for having practiced the Merkur Futur (in the past), I do not look for aggressive razors anymore.

This rockwell 6S is truly a revelation, first because it allows each of its owners to choose their own comfort / efficiency pair, but also because this razor is my only safety razor with which, or even on the high plates (4 and 5 tested today), one does not feel the blade (or almost) during shaving.

This razor is great, it is not my eyes a soft razor (sweet going hand in hand for me with lack of efficiency unfortunately), but more of a razor permissive and protective of our skin. It is clearly with this safety razor that I get the best shave level results. I still can not get a death BBS, but after only 4 shaves with this razor, I intend to further improve my technique in the neck and chin. Side taken in hand, this razor is very nice, with a super grip side handle, also rather short, which I would have criticized normally and quickly put aside for the benefit of another handle but that does not bother me absolutely not on this rockwell 6S. In accordance with what I said at the reception, if it were to remain an DE at home (alongside my General Brass), it would undoubtedly be this Rockwell 6S. I finally found what I was looking for: an efficient & comfortable razor.

0 260
 10-12-2018, 11:18 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
What is it about the Rockwell that makes the shave so smooth with all plates?

10 3,115
 10-12-2018, 11:25 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
When using the plates 1-3 is like there is no blade loaded. It's that smooth. The other plates have some blade feel, very little, but they're very smooth.

They hit a jackpot with this.

58 2,343
 10-12-2018, 03:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-12-2018, 11:25 AM)nikos.a Wrote: When using the plates 1-3 is like there is no blade loaded. It's that smooth. The other plates have some blade feel, very little, but they're very smooth.

Thanks, Nick. What do you suppose is the underlying reason for the razor’s smoothness factor? It’s the only modern SS razor that seems to be universally regarded as “smooth.” If it was less “industrial” looking I’d be jumping all over it. The raw finish and the double-sided humps on the base plates are very disconcerting. I understand it’s a high quality tool, but I also enjoy looking at my razors as objets d'art. I need to understand “why” it’s such a respected shave tool.

10 3,115
 10-12-2018, 04:50 PM
User Info
I think its related to how firmly it holds the blade and the geometry of the head. I like the way Stork makes them look http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=51403&page=3 but wouldn't compare it to a BB.

9 1,454
 10-12-2018, 05:10 PM
User Info
(10-12-2018, 04:50 PM)lloydrm Wrote: I think its related to how firmly it holds the blade and the geometry of the head. I like the way Stork makes them look http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=51403&page=3 but wouldn't compare it to a BB.

I think this is dead on......But the RAW RS-10 is a better razor in my opinion.... Cheers

0 797
 10-13-2018, 01:12 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-12-2018, 03:57 PM)chazt Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 11:25 AM)nikos.a Wrote: When using the plates 1-3 is like there is no blade loaded. It's that smooth. The other plates have some blade feel, very little, but they're very smooth.

Thanks, Nick. What do you suppose is the underlying reason for the razor’s smoothness factor? It’s the only modern SS razor that seems to be universally regarded as “smooth.” If it was less “industrial” looking I’d be jumping all over it. The raw finish and the double-sided humps on the base plates are very disconcerting. I understand it’s a high quality tool, but I also enjoy looking at my razors as objets d'art. I need to understand “why” it’s such a respected shave tool.
Head Geometry.

Charlie, give it a try. You'll remember my words.

58 2,343
 10-13-2018, 04:06 AM
User Info

I keep my Wolfman displayed on my bathroom counter and my Rockwell hidden in my bathroom cabinet.  Guess which one gets more use?

1 193
 10-13-2018, 04:21 AM
User Info
(10-13-2018, 01:12 AM)nikos.a Wrote:

Head Geometry.

Charlie, give it a try. You'll remember my words.
The industrial design seems to make the guard and the cap meet the blade at the right angles. Blades which are rough and tear me up in most other razors are very smooth in the 6S. Amazingly smooth. It feels good.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

1 74
 10-13-2018, 05:41 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I agree. It's all about the angles. Which means it's also about all the distances too.
Perfectly engineered...that's what it's called.

82 3,444
 10-13-2018, 06:55 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Thanks guys, for sharing your thoughts. So now for a follow up question. Which “prettier” razor most closely aligns with the geometry/engineering of the 6S?

10 3,115
 10-13-2018, 07:36 AM
User Info
Karve CB razor, RR game changer, Timeless would be my best bets

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

1 74