12-21-2015, 11:51 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
To all my brethren here at The Shave Nook,
With cold weather coming, (and going, and coming, and going) I thought I'd put out a public service announcement, lest anyone suffer unnecessary heartbreak.

I recently agreed to trade some fantastic brushes with a kind and well respected gentleman here on the forums. He was thoughtful enough to give the brush a quick rinse before packaging it very well and dropping it in the mailbox to send to me. I got the brush a few days later, and was initially quite happy with the trade.

However, when I went to use the brush for the first time, my heart broke. It shed like crazy. Here is a picture after the first use.
[Image: image_zpsv9cndd4m.jpeg~original]

Upon closer inspection, I noticed this fracture in the handle:
[Image: image_zpspitceqcv.jpeg~original]

This doesn't look like damage that could be caused by dropping or mishandling the brush. I fired off an email to Ken, who postulated that it was likely that there was water in the handle, which expanded due to the cold during shipping. This has caused severe damage to the brush, and it will probably never recover. Perhaps a talented artisan could save the knot somehow, (It really is an absolutely fantastic knot) but I think this brush is a goner, and not easily replaced.

In no way am I disparaging the person who shipped the brush. He has taken responsibility for the damage, and in a most gentlemanly fashion, offered many options to resolve the issue; I have no doubt we will arrive at a fair and reasonable solution. However, I hope this can serve as a warning to all of you when shipping brushes.

This may seem obvious, but I don't believe I have seen it explicitly stated. Be sure that you dry any brushes completely and thoroughly before shipping! While the US Postal Service is excellent at getting an item from one part of the world at a speed which would have been inconceivable to someone three or four generations ago, those items must still hold up to the elements during transit. We generally do a pretty good job of ensuring that our goods hold up to a few bumps during shipping, but rarely take temperature into account. Especially during the colder months, but even during the warmer months, anything shipped in a cargo aircraft may get very cold during shipping. (The average temperature is -67°F at 35,000 feet, and cargo doesn't complain nearly as much as passengers if it's cold.)

I hope that you all have safe and happy holidays, and keep those brushes dry and warm!

22 824
 12-21-2015, 12:10 PM
User Info
If you're going to sell a badger brush, you really shouldn't be using it within 72hrs of shipment at least IMHO. I use my badger brushes daily and while the tips are dry enough with 24hrs' rest, I have no doubt there's at least some moisture left deep down in the core. Getting that last bit out will probably take some time.

15 1,018
 12-21-2015, 12:15 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I would agree. They might feel dry after a day or two, but any water deep in the base of the knot could be deadly. I think a minimum of 72 hours is a good place to start. It's also worth noting that if the brush is in a humid place, (like a bathroom) it may require much longer to get completely dry.

22 824
 12-21-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
Agreed, I actually put mine under my desk lamp for a day for beforre shipping.  The very slight added heat helps make sure the brush is thoroughly dried.

52 1,175
 12-21-2015, 12:32 PM
User Info
Take the brush in the automobile with you and let it stick its bloom out the window like a dog in the lap of the owner. Do you think im kidding?

Haha

Seriously though, thorough drying is an absolute essential!

79 1,296
 12-21-2015, 12:33 PM
User Info
Tough break on that beautiful brush.  It is reassuring to know that all parties abide by the gentlemanly spirit of this forum.

2 81
 12-21-2015, 12:36 PM
User Info
That's really too bad about your beautiful brush, but it sounds like the seller is being a real gentleman.  And this is a great reminder about brush care when shipping.

206 12,189
 12-21-2015, 12:53 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Thank you for this post and sorry for the damage!!!

111 1,406
 12-21-2015, 01:35 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Sorry to hear about the fate of your brush, Craig  Sad ...but you bring up an excellent point.  I have always made sure any brushes I sell, trade, or let someone borrow are completely dry before shipping.  However, I can see how someone that doesn't ship brushes often can overlook that--and with the best intentions, wash out the brush to make sure you are getting it clean. 

Perhaps this experience warrants a "BST courtesy" sticky to include pointers such as cleaning/drying your brush before shipping, along with other products such as "make sure razor is clean and all soap residue is removed," fragile items packed securely, etc... . Not sure if this is acceptable or a slippery slope, but new (and old) wet shavers may benefit from seeing a few pointers that may seem like common sense to the more experienced folks.  

Hope your situation works out!

34 1,628
 12-21-2015, 01:53 PM
User Info
Another option might be to declare the package as containing alcohol so they ship it ground only  Angel

15 1,018
 12-21-2015, 02:32 PM
User Info
(12-21-2015, 01:53 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Another option might be to declare the package as containing alcohol so they ship it ground only  Angel

It's still cold

61 1,710
 12-21-2015, 02:50 PM
User Info
Aw man. I got a 2band-Super Badger Chubby 2 coming..... now i'm nervous.... jeez.

=P

18 642
 12-21-2015, 03:03 PM
User Info
Good information.  Thanks for the heads up and sorry about the Paladin...

5 83
 12-21-2015, 07:49 PM
User Info
I actually have a M&F that has a very similar crack in the handle.  I actually purchased the handle knowing the crack was there at a small discount but I have had zero issues with it shedding.  I hate to see this happen.  I hope you and the gentlemen come to a resolution.

13 223
 12-21-2015, 08:10 PM
User Info
Wow, Craig! That is a shame happening to such a lovely brush. Good luck.

82 21,056
 12-21-2015, 08:32 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Sorry for the loss, good information, and I would have never thought of the implications with a brush.  Guess I'd not ship wet, but thanks for the heads-up

43 461
 12-21-2015, 10:31 PM
User Info
I had this same thing happen to me with a brand new Simpson brush. It cracked in the same way.

I'd agree it likely had something to do with the conditions of transit, but I wouldn't necessarily put too much blame on the seller, given my experience with a new brush.

These things happen, so I typically buy insurance when shipping shaving items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 279
 12-22-2015, 04:05 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Sorry to see that beautiful brush ruined. I would say this is good advice since most of us clean and disinfect brushes we are thinking of selling right before posting. 

I have found that communication is the key. I always tell members that I just cleaned the brush and would like to wait a couple of days before shipping. I have never had a member back out of a deal because of this. Most members are understanding...... as long as you communicate the reasoning behind the delayed shipping.

72 1,225
 12-22-2015, 04:47 AM
User Info
Very sorry for this loss and many thanks for your words of warning!

7 883
 12-22-2015, 06:14 AM
User Info
(12-22-2015, 04:05 AM)Gabe Wrote: Sorry to see that beautiful brush ruined. I would say this is good advice since most of us clean and disinfect brushes we are thinking I selling right before posting. 

I have found that communication is the key. I always tell members that I just cleaned the brush and would like to wait a couple of days before shipping. I have never had a member back out of a deal because of this. Most members are understanding...... as long as you communicate the reasoning behind the delayed shipping.

Good point. I know I wouldn't have any issue waiting a couple of days in this scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 279