12-22-2015, 05:14 AM
User Info
I have been shaving with the Cobra Classic for a little over a year. Been alternating between the Feather Pro blades and the Kai Mild. While the feathers are very sharp and last a long time (10+ shaves) they can be too sharp for some, at least for me they were. The first few shaves on the blades, they will often bite or cause some sort of irritation. Of course with time, I've learned to cope with their sharp edge but the first 2-3 shaves to were still on the aggressive side.
Kai milds on the other hand were too mild! Could only get 6 shaves out of them. While they are comfortable straight out of the box vs the feather that takes a few shaves to calm down, they don't do as a good job cleaning up!

most days i would still choose the Feather pro over the kai milds but i still wanted something halfway between the two! So i ordered a blade sample of the Kai Original blade from tryablade.
Had my first shave with it this morning and was very impressed and happy with the result. I won't judge the blade just yet because it's only been one shave, but I will say it gave me exactly what i was looking for. Significantly sharper than the Kai mild, yet just as comfortable and still being as effective as the Feather Pro. Blade is much smoother than the Kai mild which i really enjoyed. One small nick buffing one little section on the chin which always needs to be buffed... but nothing serous. 
No irritation to be mentioned whatsoever, unlike the feather pro that would normally leave face quite a bit red for the first shave.

Like I said, I will not judge this blade just yet but I wanted to share with everyone my experience so far with it.
Very curious to see how long it will last, I don't think I will be getting any more than the 6 shaves I get from the Kai mild. I say this because the blade is already not super sharp as the Feather Pro which I've gotten as many as 15 shaves on some blades!! But even with 6 shaves I will be very happy considering how smooth the blade is.

The one thing is going to be sourcing this blade, if anyone is aware where I can buy a whole pack of it, I would appreciate sharing some information.

Well, I will continue to use it and update this thread. If anyone has any experience with this blade good or bad please share. Thanks.

2 132
 12-22-2015, 07:02 AM
User Info
The Kai Originals and Sharps (discontinued?) are my two favorite single-edge blades (I use them exclusively in my Mongoose).  Think you'll find they last about as long as the Feather Pros as well.  Enjoy!

53 1,199
 12-22-2015, 07:03 AM
User Info
(12-22-2015, 05:14 AM)jr23 Wrote: I have been shaving with the Cobra Classic for a little over a year. Been alternating between the Feather Pro blades and the Kai Mild. While the feathers are very sharp and last a long time (10+ shaves) they can be too sharp for some, at least for me they were. The first few shaves on the blades, they will often bite or cause some sort of irritation. Of course with time, I've learned to cope with their sharp edge but the first 2-3 shaves to were still on the aggressive side.
Kai milds on the other hand were too mild! Could only get 6 shaves out of them. While they are comfortable straight out of the box vs the feather that takes a few shaves to calm down, they don't do as a good job cleaning up!

most days i would still choose the Feather pro over the kai milds but i still wanted something halfway between the two! So i ordered a blade sample of the Kai Original blade from tryablade.
Had my first shave with it this morning and was very impressed and happy with the result. I won't judge the blade just yet because it's only been one shave, but I will say it gave me exactly what i was looking for. Significantly sharper than the Kai mild, yet just as comfortable and still being as effective as the Feather Pro. Blade is much smoother than the Kai mild which i really enjoyed. One small nick buffing one little section on the chin which always needs to be buffed... but nothing serous. 
No irritation to be mentioned whatsoever, unlike the feather pro that would normally leave face quite a bit red for the first shave.

Like I said, I will not judge this blade just yet but I wanted to share with everyone my experience so far with it.
Very curious to see how long it will last, I don't think I will be getting any more than the 6 shaves I get from the Kai mild. I say this because the blade is already not super sharp as the Feather Pro which I've gotten as many as 15 shaves on some blades!! But even with 6 shaves I will be very happy considering how smooth the blade is.

The one thing is going to be sourcing this blade, if anyone is aware where I can buy a whole pack of it, I would appreciate sharing some information.

Well, I will continue to use it and update this thread. If anyone has any experience with this blade good or bad please share. Thanks.

I too am very impressed with thr Kai in my Mongoose. Really do like the Kai Sharpblade

0 12
 12-22-2015, 07:06 AM
User Info
(12-22-2015, 05:14 AM)jr23 Wrote: The one thing is going to be sourcing this blade, if anyone is aware where I can buy a whole pack of it, I would appreciate sharing some information.

If you email Jason at TryABlade he will sell you Kai Originals by the pack (not sure why he doesn't have them up on his website).

53 1,199
 12-22-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
(12-22-2015, 07:02 AM)david1201 Wrote: The Kai Originals and Sharps (discontinued?) are my two favorite single-edge blades (I use them exclusively in my Mongoose).  Think you'll find they last about as long as the Feather Pros as well.  Enjoy!

oh man that's a bummer! 
well in that case i hope i don't like them too much haha..
thanks for the advice, i will email tryablade and see what he can do!

2 132
 12-22-2015, 11:26 AM
User Info
(12-22-2015, 11:04 AM)jr23 Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 07:02 AM)david1201 Wrote: The Kai Originals and Sharps (discontinued?) are my two favorite single-edge blades (I use them exclusively in my Mongoose).  Think you'll find they last about as long as the Feather Pros as well.  Enjoy!

oh man that's a bummer! 
well in that case i hope i don't like them too much haha..
thanks for the advice, i will email tryablade and see what he can do!

Think just the Sharps may be discontinued. Plenty available on fleabay though.

53 1,199
 12-22-2015, 01:06 PM
User Info
You can always palm strop the Feather Pro blade before installing it for its first use. This will smooth it out considerably and get you through those first few rough shaves completely or in just 1 shave.

31 8,057
 12-22-2015, 02:20 PM
User Info
(12-22-2015, 01:06 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: You can always palm strop the Feather Pro blade before installing it for its first use. This will smooth it out considerably and get you through those first few rough shaves completely or in just 1 shave.

I used to do that but noticed the blades get even sharper

2 132
 12-22-2015, 03:22 PM
User Info
(12-22-2015, 02:20 PM)jr23 Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 01:06 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: You can always palm strop the Feather Pro blade before installing it for its first use. This will smooth it out considerably and get you through those first few rough shaves completely or in just 1 shave.

I used to do that but noticed the blades get even sharper

Using a stropping maneuver you can only smooth out a blade's edge. Your palm should not be able to hone a razor into a higher level of sharpness. Unless you are Ironman? Tony, is that you? Winky

Well if that didn't work for you in the past then I hope you can find your Goldilocks blade in the Kai range. Or there is always the guarded blades from Feather which could work as well.

31 8,057
 12-22-2015, 07:08 PM
User Info
hahaha certainly not lol.
i tried the feather proguard a long time ago and it felt really weird. like the said the feather pros get the job done fairly well just have to be a little careful the first few shaves that's all. 

on a serious note, i always thought palm stropping is supposed to make the blade sharper. i know Mastro Livi advises to palm strop his SRs before shaving to "sharpen" it i assume??

2 132