12-22-2015, 09:26 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
This is a German world meaning extreme weariness with the world and a longing to be somewhere else unknown you hope exists. I've often wished to flee everything; freeways clogged like a sick man's heart,  rudeness bordering on  manslaughter to body and soul, people offering a smile if only I will know Jesus  and give 10% or
buy whole term  life insurance in case Jesus doesn't know me. And now we are finally getting rain, desperately needed in a climatic drought that has been part of California since the last unhunted horses fled to the old world. it's a mess out there, inevitable sirens responding to accidents by the above mentioned, my apt flooding because the lazyidiot hired instead of me 5 years ago( we like him, but thankyou for your service and being a good tenant) never cleaned the drains.
But, I found that unknown place this weekend. There's a singer; Perla Bataya, a Chicana out of east l.A. who was a backup singer for the great Leonard Cohen. She just gave a concert at the nearby Thousand Oaks performing center. It turns out the LVN at my doctor's; another lovely Chicana from Oxnard also adores Perla! I manage two front row center tickets, borrow a Jaguar from my English mechanic friend Dave, hide gas and dinner money from myself and invite her.
We had a lovely evening. Perla appeared, in her trademark bare feet and knocked her rather eclectic audience off our feet. She sang this song and somehow we were two stepping just below the stage and maybe 3 other emboldened couples joined us. Song over my date decided to kiss me in front of a few hundred people. Perla  laughed and asked how long we had been together? We told her it was our first date. She said something in Spanish I mercifully didn't understand and my date wont translate.
So, it's raining. I think how my ancestor; CPL Patrick Kavanaugh of the San Patricio Brigade managed to escape Mexico city and self deport himself back to California ( self deportation a joke started by the POCHO NEWS HOUR OF POWER on KPFK).
So it's raining, I'm depressed but realized I want to capture that evening again and not let go but two step.

2 3,171
 12-22-2015, 11:55 AM
User Info
Honestly, if you aren't a writer, you need to set up an account on Medium.com or some other writing platform. Maybe add in some pictures of your cat or other scenes, if you can manage it or find a friend to help.

I find your writing evokes a lot of thoughts and emotions. It's unvarnished in a way that conveys a lot of humor. You know how to set a scene, and your use of obscure descriptions and nouns adds interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 282
 12-23-2015, 07:09 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
It sounds like a lovely evening, Kav. Thanks for sharing.

38 5,115
 12-24-2015, 09:17 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Kav,  I love your post; you have a wonderfully pithy and amusing way of expressing yourself.  I also admire the way the German language can express an entire thought or emotion with just one word.  I've experienced "Weltschmerz" several times in the past; I used to call it "ennui", but I think "Weltschmerz" is more complete.

7 911
 12-24-2015, 12:52 PM
User Info
Last thing I expected was an Emmy Lou sort of waltz. Very nice.

1 50
 12-24-2015, 04:45 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Perla performed this Spanish version with Javier Colis. The English version above was with David Hidalgo of Los Lobos.

2 3,171
 12-24-2015, 04:58 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for sharing the music, Kav. I enjoyed it.

38 5,115
 12-24-2015, 05:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
She has a new Xmas album out- for those fatigued with Bing Crosby doing White Christmas.

2 3,171
 12-25-2015, 05:34 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Her voice and style of singing remind me, in many ways, of Edith Piaf (The Little Sparrow).

7 911