12-23-2015, 09:20 AM
User Info
So this is my first beer review so I hope it's ok,

The beer...Yellow Belly....a collaboration between the Swedish brewery Omnipollo and Buxton Brewery a big time small time brewery in the UK.

This was originally made as part of the Rainbow project in 2014 where a number of brewery's get drawn out of a hat from the UK and paired with foreign brewery.. They are then given a colour - yellow in this case - to base their creation on.

Yellow Belly was born from this collaboration a few years back but was so popular it became a regular. It was such a success that the two brewery's made a second YB called Yellow Belly Sundae in 2015.

Yellow Belly is so hard to get hold of as it sells out so quick that I almost feel honoured to have managed to get some. It's so popular distributors put a cap of two bottles per person on sales.

The bottle itself comes wrapped in white paper similar to that of the KKK.This is a clever play on the name and sticks it to those who choose to discriminate.

The meaning of Yellow Belly -  a person who is without courage, fortitude, or nerve; a coward.

Under the wrapping paper is a label which gives the definition along with a longer explanation.

The beer is an 11% peanut butter and biscuit imperial stout, except it has no peanut butter of biscuits in it. I must say when I heard this it sounded amazing but I was apprehensive to how noticeable the peanut element would be.

I have drunk both of mine now and they pour beautifully, very dark, thick looking and has a dark brown thin head.

Next is the part that blew my mind, a good swirl and sniff ignited my sense of smell with intense notes of a peanuts, milk chocolate and coffee. The Milk Chocolate was the standout note but was backed up by the peanut. It's very noticeable and very pleasant, I could almost just sniff the beer. I was concerned the beer itself was not going to taste as good.

On the palate it was thick and milky, probably one of thickest I have had and it felt like an amazingly slick syrup. The taste didn't let me down, all the same scents came alive on the taste buds and made it a magical beer to drink...sweet, desert like and beery -  a pure indulgent pleasure to drink.

I loved this beer so much I am going to hunt down some more ASAP. I also need to try and find the Sundae version because I have heard that it is even better.

Good day gents Smile
[Image: liqkdwy.jpg]
[Image: MJhBczA.jpg]

4 642
 12-23-2015, 09:27 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The big label purveyors of 'beer' have seen massive sales loss and conglomeration into fewer and larger companies. The reason is the explosion in
craft beermaking and more sophisticated American pallets for something beyond 3.2 blonde pisswater. I was in a San Francisco eatery when someone walked in and told friends ANCHOR STEAM was closing. Those two friends walked over and bought the company and it's still going strong. It's fun, if not overwhelming to try all the microbrews.

2 3,171
 12-23-2015, 11:26 PM
User Info
I want to try some. It sounds lovely...

7 1,182
 12-24-2015, 12:55 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
Great review.
Definitely a beer I would love to taste.

0 403