12-26-2015, 09:45 AM
  • WriteNoob
  • Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Been MIA from anything wet shaving for quite some time, now. But, while considering anniversary possibilities, I thought it was about time to upgrade from my (perfectly capable) EJ 89, to something more aggressive/efficient. While I was at it, why not bump up materials and build quality, as well. I still remember how nice it was to hold the Feather (sold) in my hand. And while I'm at that, how about a unit with added latitude, when it comes to aggressiveness and head styles? This resulted in today's purchase of the ATT Atlas R1. $164, with expedited shipping, after a certain company's 15% off Boxing Day coupon, which beconned from my inbox, this morning.
[Image: 469753636642554eaa6fca5ab6438dbb.jpg]
Don't know how fast 'expedited' is but me-thinks I'll be watching the mail, looking all helpless-but-hopeful, 'til it gets here. Like I said, it's been a while.

0 58
 12-26-2015, 09:57 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
I ordered via festivus code. Shipped within an hour or two and its stated as delivered to the agent today.

I'm not sure if the forwarding company works on Saturday though.

Edit:since you are in the US that seemed you will probably receive it by middle of next week?

10 378
 12-26-2015, 11:04 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
It is an excellent shaver! You are up for a treat! Relatively aggressive, yet delicate. Efficient on a one-day growth as well as on a multiple-days growth.

Happy Holidays!
Alex

113 1,537
 12-26-2015, 11:37 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Very nice!  I hope you get it quickly and you enjoy it.

49 637
 12-26-2015, 11:56 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very nice razor, and certainly more aggressive than the EJ89 or Feather, and very well constructed. I hope that it's a good fit for you. Enjoy.

38 5,196
 12-26-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
Let us know how it goes. I've been thinking of trying something a bit more aggressive myself.

0 1,097
 12-28-2015, 04:52 PM
User Info
Very nice. Cant wait to hear what you think about it

0 55
 12-31-2015, 03:15 PM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
Used it, first time, this morning.  I'm really going to like this razor, I'm thinking.  Two passes, no touch up, came very close to BBS.  Much more 'blade feel' than my Edwyn Jagger.  While not crazy-aggressive, this razor needs a driver.  For me, I'm hopeful that this razor will strike a good balance between comfort and efficiency.  I did feel a bit of sting on my neck, where I tend to be a bit heavy handed, considering how sensitive that area is, for me.  I'll have to work on that.  

Build quality on this thing is impressive.  Heavy, milled, with single bit knurling rememiscent of a high end grinding burr, rather than a simple handle.  The great thing, for me, is that I can get a variety of heads, if and when I get a yen for something new.  Already thinking on the R2 and S2 heads.   Blush

0 58
 12-31-2015, 04:07 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
i have all the open comb above the ties, but the only that's ever really bit me was... an r1. crazy how stuff like that works, lol. enjoy your razor!

41 666
 01-05-2016, 04:01 AM
  • WriteNoob
User Info
So, I wake up; alert, awake, already knowing the gig is up. I'm not going back to sleep. Look at the clock, and it's 3:00 AM.

Crap.

But the bright side is that I'm the only soul up and about. Even the cat opened one eye, glanced at me, and rolled over, turning his back on the very idea. So, having wanted a chance at some real quality time with the new ATT, I head on down to the bathroom (er, I mean Shave Den). Hot shower, prep, and shave.

I've been happy with the R1, but that was tempered by the knowledge that I really needed to hone my technique, since I'd gotten used to using a certain amount of pressure with the EJ, to get the job done. So, that's what I did. Full Proraso shave, since it's my go to reference product, pre to post. Did the whole shave very slowly, literally just laying it on the skin. One pass, flip, gently lay it on the skin, second pass, rinse. It took me about 20 minutes to get through my everyday type, 2 pass shave, but worked like a charm. No irritation, at all.

Then I held with a long time Mikey tradition. I jumped the shark.

While my face was just shy of BBS, my neck still had a bit of scritch to it, so I went with one more pass, plus cleanup. So, I now have a very smooth shave, face and neck. But some moderate iritation on my neck. Luckily, the Proraso balm does a pretty great job of taming the burn, for me.

End result; this is an awesome razor. Very efficient, with the caveat that it needs me to be mindful of technique whilst I'm using it. I'm sure that a year from now, I'll have my technique dialed in to the point of not having to think about it, just like the Edward Jagger, before it. So, a happy result. It's a keeper.

Hope this finds you all well, and, still in blissful slumber, as I post it. All the best.

0 58