02-06-2016, 02:13 PM
User Info
Pens Sartorial is close.

0 26
 02-06-2016, 03:12 PM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 02:13 PM)Tom Ford Wrote: Pens Sartorial is close.

I own Penhaligon Sartorial in both 100 ml EDT, shaving cream and the shaving soap - and while I enjoy both Sartorial and Rive Gauche,  to my nose Sartorial has pretty much nothing or very very little in common with Rive Gauche.

Sartorial smells like a tailors room, not a barbershop. To my nose.

But thanks for your suggestion.

I will keep looking.

25 6,561
 02-06-2016, 03:19 PM
User Info
(02-06-2016, 03:12 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 02:13 PM)Tom Ford Wrote: Pens Sartorial is close.

I own Penhaligon Sartorial in both 100 ml EDT, shaving cream and the shaving soap - and while I enjoy both Sartorial and Rive Gauche,  to my nose Sartorial has pretty much nothing or very very little in common with Rive Gauche.

Sartorial smells like a tailors room, not a barbershop. To my nose.

But thanks for your suggestion.

I will keep looking.

I agree with this assessment. Even discounting the difference in what atmosphere they are intending to portray, the only real similarity IMO is that they are both technically fougeres with a lavender element.

3 1,484
 02-07-2016, 08:13 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(01-02-2016, 08:33 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-31-2015, 06:55 PM)john parker Wrote: Claus, I am not saying they smell the same, but I use Rive Gauche after shaving with Pre de Provence.  And for an aftershave I use Aqua Velva Ice Blue.  Works for me, anyway.

Have tried to get my hands on pre de provence soaps for a year now. 
Last night I bought some soaps online at Maggards, Caties Bubbles LPV was finally in stock - but Pre de provence unfortunately AGAIN was out of stock  Sad

I did use the PDP soap 6-8 years ago, but did not feel the scent was that close to Rive Gauche thoug, perhaps they have reformulated PDP since then.......you never know
I just checked the Amazon.com and eBay and There are PDP and PDP 63 on the both web-sites

122 1,838
 05-22-2019, 06:42 AM
User Info
I have Oleo's Irving Park which was inspired by it, great soap and she offers a matching after splash. Also, CBL Premium's 'CBL Barbershop' is inspired by it too. I pair both with Vetiver Fatal as I couldn't readily find any of the older tin Rive Gauche por homme.

Van Yulay has La Rive I've not tried that one though.

0 5
 05-25-2019, 08:18 PM
User Info
(05-22-2019, 06:42 AM)tackleberry Wrote: I have Oleo's Irving Park which was inspired by it, great soap and she offers a matching after splash. Also, CBL Premium's 'CBL Barbershop' is inspired by it too. I pair both with Vetiver Fatal as I couldn't readily find any of the older tin Rive Gauche por homme.

Van Yulay has La Rive I've not tried that one though.

Okay, I picked up Van Yulay's La Rive and splash, as mentioned I'm pairing with Atelier Cologne Vetiver Fatal, which smells like these soaps, so I presume it is close to RG por homme. For splash I like the Oleo product better than VY's, post application and scent performance. For the soaps I'd rank the three I've tried CBL Premium CBL barbershop, then Oleo Irving Park and Van Yulay's third, the Oleo's scent is stronger but the CBL soap is a slight better performer, both are very good soaps.

0 5