12-27-2015, 02:30 PM
User Info
I'm curious to know if anyone else cleans their shaving soaps after each shave. I load from the tin or container and then use my finger to wipe out any excess lather and apply that to my face as well. After finished with my shave I run a little bit of water on the puck and rinse it off, then set it face down on a towel to dry for a few minutes. I see a lot of soap pictures with dried up lather all over them and wondered if I am in the minority here. I also rinse my bath soap after using it, so it's not limited to shave soaps. Now then, even if people don't keep their shaving soaps clean why can't they at least clean them before selling them on the BST? It's not like the buyer wants to use the lather left over in the soap from the previous owner. I really do not mean to offend anyone, but I buy from the BSTs quite often and I always skip the ones with old lather and sometimes even brush hairs on the soaps in the pictures. I would think everyone would rinse the soap off before taking the picture but it is actually pretty common that they do not, and thus the reason I asked this question. Perhaps I am the oddball that rinses off soaps?

13 947
 12-27-2015, 02:43 PM
User Info
I use shave-sticks, so I don't have this issue, but if I were to sell a soap on the BST, I would do the same; rinse with water and let dry.
If the soap is for personal use, then I never rinse it even though I do like the clean (no pun intended) look to soaps, instead of the dried out lather. Shy

82 21,056
 12-27-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
I do it. I like it when it looks nice and 'clean' as such Smile

7 1,182
 12-27-2015, 02:55 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I rinse all my soaps off clean and invert to dry.

59 4,389
 12-27-2015, 02:59 PM
User Info
Okay so I'm not the only one then. And like I said, no offense meant to anyone who doesn't.

13 947
 12-27-2015, 03:36 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I wipe the lather off the puck with my finger then let it dry face-down (or really, propped up on something else, so the soap is diagonally upside-down) as you do.
Sometimes I will rinse the puck quickly with a little cold water, too, but probably less than half the time.

57 2,553
 12-27-2015, 03:43 PM
User Info
(12-27-2015, 02:55 PM)eengler Wrote: I rinse all my soaps off clean and invert to dry.

+1

52 1,176
 12-27-2015, 04:03 PM
User Info
I rinse the container off by holding it upside-down under a very slow running tap.  Then I dry it with a towel.  Don't rinse the soap itself, however.  I guess if I were to sell it or give it away I would rinse it off carefully.  

If a shaving soap doesn't really do it for me, I use it as a shower soap.

Strangely, I always rinse off my shower soap when I'm finished. Not sure why I do that. It's my own bathroom, and no one else uses the shower.

0 382
 12-27-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
(12-27-2015, 02:30 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I'm curious to know if anyone else cleans their shaving soaps after each shave. I load from the tin or container and then use my finger to wipe out any excess lather and apply that to my face as well. After finished with my shave I run a little bit of water on the puck and rinse it off, then set it face down on a towel to dry for a few minutes. I see a lot of soap pictures with dried up lather all over them and wondered if I am in the minority here. I also rinse my bath soap after using it, so it's not limited to shave soaps. Now then, even if people don't keep their shaving soaps clean why can't they at least clean them before selling them on the BST? It's not like the buyer wants to use the lather left over in the soap from the previous owner. I really do not mean to offend anyone, but I buy from the BSTs quite often and I always skip the ones with old lather and sometimes even brush hairs on the soaps in the pictures. I would think everyone would rinse the soap off before taking the picture but it is actually pretty common that they do not, and thus the reason I asked this question. Perhaps I am the oddball that rinses off soaps?
I do almost the same. Lather; finger apply excess; then I rinse off the soap; turn the tub upside down whilst shaving; afterwards, I allow the open container to sit on the shelf until the next morning.

39 3,877
 12-27-2015, 04:18 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(12-27-2015, 02:55 PM)eengler Wrote: I rinse all my soaps off clean and invert to dry.

+1. I am pretty obsessive about cleaning all my shaving gear, and soaps are not excluded.

34 1,628
 12-27-2015, 04:46 PM
User Info
I rinse off my soaps after each use. Let it dry while I shave, and then close up the lid about 15-20 minutes later.

46 1,102
 12-27-2015, 04:51 PM
  • tipsol
  • Istanbul
User Info
I always rinse off any pf my soaps each time i use them. But its important to rinse them with cold water, hot water will eat some of your soap while u rinsing it. Also if its a metal container i make sure its also dry i dnt want any rust in my soap either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 37
 12-27-2015, 07:33 PM
User Info
I don't rinse my soaps -- most are kept in snap-top plastic containers. I just leave the top off post shave, and leave the residual lather as it is. If there is any actual liquid remaining in with the soap after my shave, I will tip it into the sink. I don't care how the surface of the soap looks. Usually, sometime later in the day (or perhaps the next day) I replace the snap-top and put it away to come out and play again another day.

I guess I'm just not very fastidious about my soaps. I am mildly obsessive about cleaning and drying my razor after each use. I also remove and blot the blade dry, ready for its next turn at bat (those TREET carbon steel blades rust very quickly). Once, years ago, I left a wet boar bristle shaving brush in a travel tube -- forgot to un-pack and dry it out. When I next saw it (weeks, maybe months later) it was a mildewed, moldy ruin. Fortunately it wasn't a particular favorite, nor was it expensive, but it taught me a lesson -- that's a mistake I'm unlikely to make again.

If/when I buy another travel brush, it will likely be synthetic, but I know I will still be slightly obsessive about drying it after each journey!

5 395
 12-28-2015, 11:47 AM
User Info
I usually don't rinse my soap, but sometimes the end up with what feels like an excessive amount of lather left over. In those cases I do give them a quick rinse.

Of course, when I sell them I clean them up thoroughly.

10 1,858
 12-28-2015, 12:30 PM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
(12-27-2015, 04:17 PM)primotenore Wrote: I do almost the same. Lather; finger apply excess; then I rinse off the soap; turn the tub upside down whilst shaving; afterwards, I allow the open container to sit on the shelf until the next morning.

Precisely my method.

11 678
 12-28-2015, 12:37 PM
User Info
I don't rinse any of my soaps.  I do pour off any excess water after using any soap.

If they are hard soaps in tubs or bowls with lids, I leave them to dry for a few hours before I put the lid back on and put it away until next use.  If they are hard soaps kept in mugs, I just put them away.

If they are soft soaps, I put the lid back on soon after using them, after pouring off any excess water, then I put them away.

0 275
 12-28-2015, 02:10 PM
User Info
I used to leave the soap with some lather on it, but lately I've been rinsing off the remaining lather with a little cold water. However so far I haven't closed the lid and now I can see that the soap is cracking and looks pretty dry. This never happened when I just left some lather on the soap. The lather was probably protecting the soap from overdrying. Has anyone else had the same experience?

8 88
 12-28-2015, 02:55 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(12-27-2015, 04:03 PM)David Wrote: I rinse the container off by holding it upside-down under a very slow running tap.  Then I dry it with a towel.  Don't rinse the soap itself, however.  I guess if I were to sell it or give it away I would rinse it off carefully.

Signs011

4 1,937
 12-28-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
(12-28-2015, 02:10 PM)kamyon Wrote: I used to leave the soap with some lather on it, but lately I've been rinsing off the remaining lather with a little cold water. However so far I haven't closed the lid and now I can see that the soap is cracking and looks pretty dry. This never happened when I just left some lather on the soap. The lather was probably protecting the soap from overdrying. Has anyone else had the same experience?

I don't know if that is the problem as leaving lather on should not make a difference. It may be from leaving the lid off, but then again I don't keep my bath soaps in a container and they don't ever crack. I only leave my lid off during the shave, usually rinsing the soap just before face lathering, and then put the lid on after applying aftershave and the soap always looks dry. The only exception being Catie's which is my only soft soap.

The only soap I have ever had crack is my SV Manna which I've only used two times and the bottom already has cracks on it. I rinsed it off as well, but had to really since I loaded it form the PET container which was a mess. Anyway, I've always rinsed all of my soaps, of which all but one are hard soaps and I've never had any others crack. The longest I've owned any of the same soaps is about 6 months, but that is plenty of rinsing for it to crack if it were due to rinsing. The same goes for shower soaps, of which I make my own and they are hard bars. I have not had any crack and my wife and I always rinse the bars off. However, I should mention that all of my shave soaps except SV are hot-filled in tubs or tins so I don't see the bottom or sides of them, but no cracks on top at least. Anyway, I just prefer clean soaps to load from and for appearance reasons. I only started this thread to see if any others were doing the same, and because I keep seeing soaps in the BST that I would be interested in but I end up passing on due to lather all over the soap. I would think everyone would at least rinse the soap before selling.

13 947
 12-28-2015, 11:49 PM
User Info
Suffering from OCD, I of course rinse both my bath soaps and shaving soaps after each usage.

I run my shaving soap under warm water after the shave to remove the excess lather.
It will eat up the soap faster in the long run, but I don't mind.

24 5,849