07-09-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
Finally I was successful! Allow me to explain.

Over a year ago on another forum I bought a Merkur razor, I don't remember what model, for a friend. He's been using it since and he's managed to fend off every suggestion I gave about trying different razors.

I recently acquired a "Johnny9" Slim and a GEM Featherweight. Both for my buddy. When he heard the price of the Slim he accepted w/o hesitation.

I recently handed off both razors to him and he's happy as a clam with both. He told me tthe Slim is giving him the best shave he's ever gotten. Then he tried the Featherweight today and loved that. He commented that, "I'm getting quite a collection of razors now." (all 3). But RAD has to start somewhere. At least he knows that there are other razors available that he might like more than what he has.

I'm just glad I was able to help infect him with one AD. What else are friends for?

Now if I can only get him to come onto this forum...

32 6,309
 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Here is the general RAD rule of thumb.

For every razor you have you need the following:

One shave cream and one shave soap.

Two brushes.

One or two after shaves.

One or two, well you get the idea... How many razors can you afford?Biggrin

173 23,504
 07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
I'm still trying to get him to use a lather with a brush. He uses KMF brushless. Actually he did use a brush at one time but he just didn't like it. He only shaves a small area since he has a beard and found proper lather with a brush to be a PITA.

32 6,309
 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Tell him to get a large brush. That way he can have a shave and a beard shampoo at the same time.Lightbulb

173 23,504
 07-13-2012, 11:40 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(07-09-2012, 07:06 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I'm still trying to get him to use a lather with a brush. He uses KMF brushless. Actually he did use a brush at one time but he just didn't like it. He only shaves a small area since he has a beard and found proper lather with a brush to be a PITA.

That's interesting because I love using KMF with a brush. While visiting my sister earlier in the month, I found myself in a hurry so just used the KMF I keep at her place as a brushless cream, as the instructions suggest. The result was horrible. In fact, I couldn't believe it was the same cream.

2 11,211
 07-13-2012, 06:38 PM
User Info
Yeah, one gives up pretty much all of the cushion and gets lubrication only.

I'm with you Freddy, I can use creams that way, but I too prefer them lathered with a brush.

32 6,309
 07-14-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
Good job, Brian!

75 20,883
 07-30-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
Let 'em run with the bait for a bit, then set the hook!

So today my buddy calls me to tell me that he got the best shave of his entire life this morning. He used the Slim set to 9 and a fresh Merkur blade. Shave nirvana for him. Also told me how he was thinking about the great shave and almost cut himself through inattention.

Then he commences to tell me how he's REALLY getting to like aggressive razors. (running with the bait)

So we talk about the Featherweight a bit and I ask if he's interested in an OCMM, and tell him what it is, etc.. (set the hook) The short story is that the OCMM I recently had on the s/t forum will now be going to him. I'll probably also suggest the ClogPruf too. So RAD has definitely infected him. Just 2 weeks ago he was telling me how he has too many (3) razors. Soon he'll have 5. Biggrin

I couldn't be more proud of myself.

I also got him to at least lurk on this forum. Small steps. Small steps.

32 6,309
 07-30-2012, 08:43 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Does he have a short beard? Get him a PRO brush, he'll love it. Don't suggest r41 though Biggrin

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
Great job, again, Brian! You are such an enabler.

75 20,883
 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM
User Info
(07-30-2012, 08:48 PM)celestino Wrote: Great job, again, Brian! You are such an enabler.

Biggrin Hey! I do what I can! The biggest winner in all of this is my buddy. He's getting the best shaves of his life and he actually looks forward to his morning shave. Sounds familiar doesn't it? I can lead, but I can't force anyone to partake.

BT, please tell me more about the PRO brush. Link? I'm completely ignorant.

If my buddy winds up being interested in an R41, I'd loan him mine to try it. I consider the R41 to be a step beyond aggressive- wildly aggressive maybe? Biggrin Or he could try it at my place with a brush and a great soap or cream... Always let the fish run with the bait before setting the hook. I'll get him into a proper shave sooner or later. It just might take some time. He has an acronym for it; WWBD (what would Brian do). I kid you not! It just takes him time to realize that I'm right, then it dawns on him after he realizes that he accepted WWBD after all.

I have another buddy who dry shaves with a DE razor A47 . He's going to be a tougher nut to crack. But I love a challenge. If I'm given enough time I might get to him as well. But he'll never come onto the site at the present state of affairs. He has dialup, and it's really slow dialup, for him these sites are completely out of consideration.

I have my work cut out for me. Biggrin It's great fun!

32 6,309
 07-30-2012, 09:55 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I meant one of Omega Pro brushes, big and strong, he can actually lather up including beard.
If I am not mistaken, try searching for Omega 48, 49, 98.

88 4,233
 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
User Info
(07-30-2012, 09:55 PM)beartrap Wrote: I meant one of Omega Pro brushes, big and strong, he can actually lather up including beard.

He'd be so against that it would be unbelieveable. He tells me how he uses his beard as a brush to hold lather and pulls it down out of the beard to shave the "other" face parts.

I'm betting that's why he retired his brush to begin with. I think he uses his beard as the brush to lather his KMF with his hand. A sort of reverse brush... the brush doesn't move, the skin doing the lathering does.

32 6,309
 07-30-2012, 11:38 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-30-2012, 10:13 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(07-30-2012, 09:55 PM)beartrap Wrote: I meant one of Omega Pro brushes, big and strong, he can actually lather up including beard.

He'd be so against that it would be unbelieveable. He tells me how he uses his beard as a brush to hold lather and pulls it down out of the beard to shave the "other" face parts.

I'm betting that's why he retired his brush to begin with. I think he uses his beard as the brush to lather his KMF with his hand. A sort of reverse brush... the brush doesn't move, the skin doing the lathering does.

I shouldn't have read this before bedtime 24

88 4,233