12-28-2015, 11:06 AM
User Info
Has anyone tried this AS? I love the scent of the Smolder soap (and it lathers great), but the brand doesn't get much discussion. Also, at $10-$15 for a 1oz bottle, that's triple Stirling's price and almost as much as TOBS.

Ingredients: Aloe Vera Juice Witch Hazel Distillate Vegetable Glycerin Polysorbate 20 Phenoxyethanol Caprylyl Glycol (Preservative)

6 805
 12-28-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
(12-28-2015, 11:06 AM)Gig103 Wrote: Has anyone tried this AS? I love the scent of the Smolder soap (and it lathers great), but the brand doesn't get much discussion. Also, at $10-$15 for a 1oz bottle, that's triple Stirling's price and almost as much as TOBS.

Ingredients: Aloe Vera Juice Witch Hazel Distillate Vegetable Glycerin Polysorbate 20 Phenoxyethanol Caprylyl Glycol (Preservative)

I've never tried it and at that price for 1oz I never will. Are you sure you are talking about a beard oil? Those often sell in 1oz bottles around that price or more. I can vouch for Stirling though, they are great aftershaves. I have 2 balms and 1 splash form them.

13 947
 12-28-2015, 04:00 PM
User Info
(12-28-2015, 11:06 AM)Gig103 Wrote: Has anyone tried this AS? I love the scent of the Smolder soap (and it lathers great), but the brand doesn't get much discussion. Also, at $10-$15 for a 1oz bottle, that's triple Stirling's price and almost as much as TOBS.

I bought the 1 oz samples of both the Smolder and Cinder AS directly from the straight razor dot com website. The Smolder scent smells like burnt sugar/caramel/vanilla...I know the description is way more complex, but that's all I got out of it. Performance wise for an AS, it was decent.The 1 oz. Cinder sample I received smelled like straight witch hazel, no scent at all...scent is subjective, and I completely understand YMMV...but no scent at all is an issue when it's ten bucks for a 1 oz sample. I contacted them twice (first time went unanswered). After suggesting I would write a negative review if they would not be willing to resolve, I received a quick reply indicating there was no need to be "hostile" or "threaten us in such a manner". Writing an honest review is not hostile or threatening at all. After requesting pics of the sample bottle they told me they would send a new bottle as a replacement, and I never received the replacement (been a month). For the record, my negative review on their website was never posted. Poor product quality, and definitely poor customer service. Good luck.

9 155
 12-28-2015, 04:23 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I believe it. They are shady.

3 227
 12-28-2015, 08:12 PM
User Info
(12-28-2015, 11:11 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:

I've never tried it and at that price for 1oz I never will. Are you sure you are talking about a beard oil? Those often sell in 1oz bottles around that price or more. I can vouch for Stirling though, they are great aftershaves. I have 2 balms and 1 splash form them.

I double checked and it is an aftershave, and the ingredients do look similar to me as Stirling which is why I compared it

(12-28-2015, 04:00 PM)Maranello Wrote:

I bought the 1 oz samples of both the Smolder and Cinder AS directly from the straight razor dot com website. The Smolder scent smells like burnt sugar/caramel/vanilla...I know the description is way more complex, but that's all I got out of it. Performance wise for an AS, it was decent.The 1 oz. Cinder sample I received smelled like straight witch hazel, no scent at all...scent is subjective, and I completely understand YMMV...but no scent at all is an issue when it's ten bucks for a 1 oz sample. I contacted them twice (first time went unanswered). After suggesting I would write a negative review if they would not be willing to resolve, I received a quick reply indicating there was no need to be "hostile" or "threaten us in such a manner". Writing an honest review is not hostile or threatening at all. After requesting pics of the sample bottle they told me they would send a new bottle as a replacement, and I never received the replacement (been a month). For the record, my negative review on their website was never posted. Poor product quality, and definitely poor customer service. Good luck.

That is sad. I'm surprised you haven't called your credit card company to dispute it for not being as described.

(12-28-2015, 04:23 PM)Scoti Wrote: I believe it. They are shady.

Is this something that is known around here that I'm unaware of? I mean, based on Maranello's post it sounds shady but that would be one story.

6 805
 12-29-2015, 03:52 AM
User Info
(12-28-2015, 08:12 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(12-28-2015, 04:00 PM)Maranello Wrote:

That is sad. I'm surprised you haven't called your credit card company to dispute it for not being as described.

I will. I honestly thought they were going to send a replacement bottle. And I did email them a 3rd time to get a tracking number or a refund...and no reply (no surprise).

In all fairness, I thought the Purest Synthetic brush I purchased was a great deal at $15, left a glowing review for that product on their website.

9 155
 01-03-2016, 12:34 PM
User Info
Smolder is a nice scent, but I've grown a little tired of it. The soap is decent performer. The AS interestingly is primarily witch hazel. I failed to shake it before using one time, and what came out of the bottle was a clear liquid that smelled more of witch hazel than smolder. After shaking it the liquid is more milky. When you consider it's witch hazel with scent added, it makes the price kind of obnoxious.

I probably won't buy it again

2 336