12-29-2015, 08:37 AM
User Info
 12-29-2015, 08:55 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I believe this issue was mentioned in an earlier post. It would be easy to slip the bonds of our forum guidelines and get into political trouble here- oh, why not. My Senator is an idiot.

2 3,171
 12-29-2015, 10:08 AM
User Info
Lawmakers "just want to regulate"... 24

9 1,201
 12-29-2015, 11:24 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
This is a bill that was originally introduced in 2011, and re-introduced this year. Honestly, it's probably not going to affect our hobby significantly. First and foremost, any business with less than $100,000/year in revenue is automatically exempt. That's not to say that some of the larger soap makers might not get an extra set of regulations, but I think an awful lot of artisan vendors would stay under this limit. For those who do sell more than $100k/year in product, maybe it's not a bad idea that they submit to a little bit of oversight. At that point, it's not really a hobby anymore. If you're selling more than $100k in products, you've already at least had to:
  • Incorporate your business
  • Provide detailed accounting for tax purposes
  • Declare expenses and inventory to the IRS
You've probably also taken out a bank loan, which means you've probably had to open your books to auditors. You've probably purchased liability insurance for your business. You might have employees, and the payroll, HR, insurance, etc. headaches that come with that. You've likely leased or purchased property under this incorporated business. You probably use the services of an accountant, lawyer, and maybe several other business consultants.

I am personally a (non-soap) hobbyist, but I sell a couple hundred dollars worth (or less) of product a year. Admittedly, having to open my shop and submit to government oversight would be a huge burden to what is nothing more than a hobby, but the $100,000 threshold really eliminates that concern. If your soap business is that big, I think it's probably a good idea to submit to FDA inspections, disclose ingredients, file reports of side effects, etc. It's part of the cost of doing business.

22 823
 12-29-2015, 11:32 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(12-29-2015, 11:24 AM)chamm Wrote:  For those who do sell more than $100k/year in product, maybe it's not a bad idea that they submit to a little bit of oversight.

As free-market loving as I am - I agree with chamm here. It would be nice to know that stuff I'm rubbing on my face complies with basic safety standards.

17 535
 12-29-2015, 02:41 PM
User Info
To me it shouldn't matter how much revenue a business makes, $100,000+ or not.  If a bill is introduced that is for the "benefit" and "safety" of consumers, then all should have comply.  The way it's written sounds like it's just trying to punish the larger companies for being successful.  Isn't it possible that a Mom & Pop operation could do significant damage?  Better yet, let's regulate politicians as a whole.  They seem to be doing the most harm.

9 1,201
 12-29-2015, 03:04 PM
User Info
This is not good for artisan soap makers. This is supported by some very large companies and my guses is their intention is to put the artisans out of business due to the growing demand for their products. The large companies can afford this which is why they support it. I will do the only thing I can do which is make sure not to ever purchase any products from the companies supporting it. The, sad but true reality here is it is the large (some) companies that use ingredients that are harmful and some dont list ask of them. This is really bad for small business but not surprising coming from Feinstein. Politicians have no clue how they affect the economy, nor do they care one bit about how it hurts the business owners. This used to be a somewhat free market years ago, not from an Austrian Economics perspective which I like, but a capitalist system nonetheless. The problem is that governments are leviathan (not to be confused with B&M's scent), and this grow infinitely larger until no freedom exists. 

That's my take on it anyway.

13 947
 12-29-2015, 08:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

4 1,898