• DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Anyone have one of the Asylum brushes? How do they compare to
the Plisson and Muhle brushes?

3 584
 12-31-2015, 08:13 AM
User Info
I have one, I don't have either a true plisson (have plisson like knots) or a muhle brush. But I can tell you it is a very different brush compared to all the ones that I own.

The loft on these guys are all short, I believe they range from 49mm to 52mm in loft length. So they provide a good amount of backbone, like that of a boar brush. Also, doesn't splay as easy as a plisson but it will splay with a little more pressure.

The fibers like I mentioned before are unique. They are almost completely white with one black band. The fibers are described as silvertip and they are soft at the tips. Once lathered you really get a good fell for the softness.

All in all, I personally do like the brush. I didn't like it at first because I was expecting something similar to a plisson type characteristics but after using it for a while I really started to enjoy it. The loft is really short so wouldn't recommend for bowl lathering but just a suggestion. Everything in the shaving world is subjective anyways... Hope this helped, have a good one.

Asylum Brush Works Cheswick Shaving Brush in Silvertip Fiber

[Image: 2145120438d88a3d595d34a0f6faee37.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 203
 12-31-2015, 08:34 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
You have the one I'm thinking about getting. I'm a bowl latherer, so that gives me something to think about. I like face lathering better, but my skin is too sensitive.I have a Plisson and its okay, but not quite enough backbone. I had a 19mm Muhle, and it was just too small. It produced more lather than the knot could hold.

3 584
 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
Well if you have any other questions about it, let me know. It might be a good fit since it does feel soft and has plenty of backbone but not sure how it will do with sensitive skin. I face lather, which is why I got this short loft brush, I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin so can't help you there... How long have you had your plisson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 203
 12-31-2015, 11:58 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I bought it when they came back to the stores for Father's Day.  It works pretty good for face lathering, but I liked the Muhle better for bowl lathering.

How big is the handle? I remember one problem I had with the Muhle is that the handle was too small so I got lather all over my hand.

3 584
 01-01-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
I sure have been admiring the Scanlon.   I think that handle would be very comfortable to use.  I bowl lather.
[Image: Scanlon_2__12148.1437517899.1280.1280.jpg?c=2]

11 195
 01-01-2016, 09:47 PM
User Info
I have owned the Scanlon for several months and it is a small but powerful little brush. The tips and performance are right smack in between the Muhle STF and Plisson. I find the backbone stronger and more springy that Plisson, but not quite as stiff as the Muhle. I highly recommend this line of brushes from Bullgoose to anyone looking to add another top-notch synthetic to their arsenal.

69 2,194
 01-01-2016, 11:56 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-01-2016, 09:47 PM)cessnabird Wrote: I have owned the Scanlon for several months and it is a small but powerful little brush. The tips and performance are right smack in between the Muhle STF and Plisson. I find the backbone stronger and more springy that Plisson, but not quite as stiff as the Muhle. I highly recommend this line of brushes from Bullgoose to anyone looking to add another top-notch synthetic to their arsenal.

I could not have said it any better.  I used mine yesterday.

[Image: K6Ux3lG.jpg]

179 23,931
 01-02-2016, 02:07 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I shared a few words and pics here: ABW

"All three knots are very soft and extra stuffed with a fibre somewhere akin to a cross between Muhle and Plisson.

Appearance wise you'd be forgiven to believe the fibre as Muhle's.

However, performance and feel is more in line with the experience offered by Plisson, albeit sans the floppiness.

The Muhle provides (for me) excessive spring or resistance against the face.

The ABW brushes provide greater splay and exhibit less knot integrity compared to Muhle's fibres.

Unlike the Muhle, the brush doesn't require mashing into the face.

However, on account of the shorter loft the knot feels more robust than Plisson.

The handles are substantial and have a high quality feel that you'd expect from a more expensive brush.

The handle shapes, although not original are excellent both visually and ergonomically."

99 18,011
 01-02-2016, 12:54 PM
User Info
I've got/used the Muhle XL, Simpsons Synth, Scanlon, Plisson, a Plisson clone and one of the knots offered by AMACK which are fairly popular. The Plisson is good, but a tad floppy. Still completely useable and less floppy than say a true silvertip (WD badger silvertip for example).

The Plisson clone is like the Plisson, but a little more dense; I believe the fibres are the same but the density make it have additional backbone. The AMACK is similar to this one, albeit a the colours are different. The Muhle was a tad too much backbone for my liking; the Simpsons was the softest I had ever used but it had entirely too much backbone and while perfectly serviceable, it made a mess because of the extra effort you'd have to exert to get it to splay.

That brings me to the Scanlon. It has more backbone than the Plisson/Plisson clones/AMACK and considerably less than the Simpsons and Muhle knots. My personal preference is between the Plisson cone and the Scanlon. I just prefer the handle on my Plisson clone more than the Scanlon.

24 664
 01-02-2016, 02:23 PM
User Info
Nice picture, Johnny.  I hadn't seen a real life Scanlon.

11 195
 01-02-2016, 04:54 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to decide between the Asylum, a WD, RR synthetic badger, or the Amack Sunrise.  The Asylum sounds like what I'm looking for. I just need to decide if it's worth the extra money.

3 584
 01-03-2016, 03:37 PM
User Info
A question I have about the Scanlon handle is that it seems highly reminiscent of a Shavemac handle.  Is it too much to presume that Shavemac might be making the handles here?

0 67
 01-03-2016, 11:35 PM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 03:37 PM)Alum of Potash Wrote: A question I have about the Scanlon handle is that it seems highly reminiscent of a Shavemac handle.  Is it too much to presume that Shavemac might be making the handles here?

My guess is Vie Long are making the handles.
Just my guess.

24 6,018
 01-05-2016, 02:19 PM
User Info
I have the Scanlon.  Like others have said, it's a great little brush that performs well above its stature.  It doesn't feel as small as it looks when you use it.  In a blind test, I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference between my Scanlon and my 24 mm WD.  My WD has a just a little higher loft.  I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same knots though.  Both have more backbone than the Plisson, TGC Synthetic, and Stirling Kong, which I believe all use the same knot.  If you can't tell, I sorta fell down the synthetic brush rabbit hole...

1 297
 01-06-2016, 03:34 PM
User Info
I received my ABW Cheswick from Bullgoose yesterday and have used it twice since - once yesterday evening just having a play with it to whip up a lather, and also this morning for its first real use.  So bear in mind the following are just my first impressions.

This is only my third synthetic - the others I own (and love) are the Aesop synthetic (which I understand is a rebranded large size EJ287 with Muhle STF2 fibres knot 23 and loft 54) and the L'Occitane Plisson.  I use each of those two brushes mainly as bowl latherers, and the Aesop brush in particular works well for face lathering when I'm in the mood. I was interested in the shorter loft of the Cheswick to try something different.

I am yet to try a face lather with the Cheswick, but it worked absolutely fine both times in the bowl, and the shorter loft was no impediment at all.  Transferring from the bowl to the face I thought there was a good bit of resistance when I tried to splay the fibres, and to me it felt more springy than either the Aesop of Plisson. 

Like Ben said above, the fibres look very similar to the STF2 fibres, but they do have a different feel.

I'm really happy with the purchase.

1 81
 01-11-2016, 02:40 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-06-2016, 03:34 PM)Basilsniffer Wrote: I received my ABW Cheswick from Bullgoose yesterday and have used it twice since - once yesterday evening just having a play with it to whip up a lather, and also this morning for its first real use.  So bear in mind the following are just my first impressions.

This is only my third synthetic - the others I own (and love) are the Aesop synthetic (which I understand is a rebranded large size EJ287 with Muhle STF2 fibres knot 23 and loft 54) and the L'Occitane Plisson.  I use each of those two brushes mainly as bowl latherers, and the Aesop brush in particular works well for face lathering when I'm in the mood. I was interested in the shorter loft of the Cheswick to try something different.

I am yet to try a face lather with the Cheswick, but it worked absolutely fine both times in the bowl, and the shorter loft was no impediment at all.  Transferring from the bowl to the face I thought there was a good bit of resistance when I tried to splay the fibres, and to me it felt more springy than either the Aesop of Plisson. 

Like Ben said above, the fibres look very similar to the STF2 fibres, but they do have a different feel.

I'm really happy with the purchase.

Have you used it more? I'm curious if you like it more or less after more time with it.

3 584
 01-11-2016, 08:35 PM
User Info
I've used it twice more since my post:

1. I face lathered using a Mickey Lee soap.  The lather built fine, but I found I had to mash the brush into my face more than usual to get it to splay.  Once splayed it wanted to spring back, so you have to keep a fair bit of pressure on to keep it splayed.  It's not a really big issue - just a personal preference.  The brush doesn't feel uncomfortable on the face at all and it is very happy to release lather.

2. I bowl lathered B&M Santal Vetyver.  Absolutely fine. Once the lather is built I typically transfer it to my face with circular strokes and then paint it into a consistent covering. It does that really well.

My view on it hasn't really changed.  90% of the time I bowl lather and it does a great job of that for me.  I love the green handle.  Summing up I reckon it is a really great compact synthetic.  And Bullgoose have them on sale for $40!

1 81
 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-11-2016, 08:35 PM)Basilsniffer Wrote: I've used it twice more since my post:

1. I face lathered using a Mickey Lee soap.  The lather built fine, but I found I had to mash the brush into my face more than usual to get it to splay.  Once splayed it wanted to spring back, so you have to keep a fair bit of pressure on to keep it splayed.  It's not a really big issue - just a personal preference.  The brush doesn't feel uncomfortable on the face at all and it is very happy to release lather.

2. I bowl lathered B&M Santal Vetyver.  Absolutely fine. Once the lather is built I typically transfer it to my face with circular strokes and then paint it into a consistent covering. It does that really well.

My view on it hasn't really changed.  90% of the time I bowl lather and it does a great job of that for me.  I love the green handle.  Summing up I reckon it is a really great compact synthetic.  And Bullgoose have them on sale for $40!

Thanks.  I like the BG7 the best, but I like the price of the Cheswick, which is why I'm looking at that one.  I lather the same as you, so I appreciate your input.

3 584
 01-12-2016, 08:39 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have been considering one of these, the Scanlon or the BG7, for a while now, with the BG7 getting most of the love.
They are very nicely made, and not very expensive, so I will most likely end up with one sooner or later.

2 1,694