12-31-2015, 02:00 AM
User Info
As stated by Shevek, Rob, in his post, I have found his interpretation/definition of what describes an artisane to be closest to what I also think an artisane is.

So here it is - my (and Rob's) defintion of what an artisane soap maker is:

For it to be a true artisan, the soap has to be made by one person, namely the artisan. 
They may have some helpers assisting with the business, but the artisan must have his or her hands on the product.

So far my Top 5 artisane soap makers are:

I have yet to try Stirling, Soap Commander, Mike's Natural, Savon de Berger, SDM Donkey Milk and Mystic Water. 

1. Tabula Rasa
2. Saponificion Varesino
3. Cold River Soap Works Select (not tested version 2 yet)
4. Le Pere Lucien
5. Barrister & Mann 

Honorable mention: Catie's Bubbles, Haslinger & Meißner Tremonia

I'm not quite sure if Martin de Candre, Klar Seifen & Castle Forbes are true artisans, if the artisan is really involced in every single product, before it leaves the house/production place.

24 6,021
 12-31-2015, 03:17 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Claus, Haslinger has been in business as a family operation for 66 years. There are 7 production employees and only 1 of them specializes in the soap production. Totally hands on with the added benefit of modern manufacturing. Your call on whether it's artisan or not. The Haslinger's don't mind either way. Wink

42 1,041
 12-31-2015, 03:56 AM
User Info
Based on the editing of my first post in this thread, I have removed the content in this post.
Can a mod please delete this post, thanks in advance  Smile

24 6,021
 12-31-2015, 04:47 AM
User Info
Not sure if the thread requires it but I will go ahead and explain why I like these particular soap makers along with the list

1. Reef Point - Cannot explain why, but this soap performs better than anything else I own.  Not certain if the way I make the lather is just perfect for me compared to the other soaps I own or what, but this is the slickest, most protective soap I use.  Hit or miss with their scents but the ones I have are incredible (Earl Grey & Ginger, Submariner, Peerless).  By the way their balms are excellent compliments.

2. Beaver Woodwright - this just supplanted Soap Commander recently. I love his scents, there has only been one out of about 7 or 8 I've tried I did not like.  Kelly's scents are very manly, different than what is out there.  In addition, his soap has a different feel to the lather, there is something very tacky/cushiony about it and its very protective. Favorites here are Shipwreck Cove, Jolly Roger, Davey Jones.  By the way, his splashes might be the best thing he offers.  As I've said here before, I have very dry skin and so far, his splashes are the only splashes I use because I'm a balm guy.

3. Soap Commander - my first artisan love.  They make great soaps with fantastic post shave feel.  Hit or miss with their scents too, but my favorites are Endurance, Courage, Serenity.  Incredible slick lather, and you get alot for what you pay for because its a very hard soap and you get 6oz for 15 bucks.

4. Cold River Soap Works - Rising fast, might even be tied for third.  Larry's scents are fantastic, his lather is slick and the post shave is amazing.  Right now I love Bergamot & Bay and during the warmer months, Pure Fresco and Jardin d' Orange.  Just ordered three more of his soaps.

5. ??? - Ordered CaD by Phoenix Artisan Accouterments and it is on the way so who knows.  Not sure who could fill out this block. I've tried some other artisans that did not make the cut here.

1 468
 12-31-2015, 05:03 AM
User Info
1. Ginges Garden 
2. Soap Commander 
3. Sterling
4. Caities Bubbles 
5. TBD

0 55
 12-31-2015, 05:27 AM
User Info
Hey Claus you already made this thread once...

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=26863

63 1,721
 12-31-2015, 05:50 AM
User Info
In no particular order

Barrister & Mann
Mikes natural
Jabonman/Eufros 
Sapone Di Paolo
Saponificio Varesino

(12-31-2015, 05:27 AM)NSmalls Wrote: Hey Claus you already made this thread once...

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=26863

The last reply to that thread was almost a year ago and only asked for top 3. 
Peoples preferences may have changed since then?

8 206
 12-31-2015, 06:18 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
My top five for 2015 (in no particular order)

1. LPL;
2. Mike's;
3. Barrister & Mann;
4. CRSW
5. Mystic Water;

Honorable mention: Saponificio Varesino and SdM

Happy New Year!

113 1,549
 12-31-2015, 07:02 AM
User Info
(12-31-2015, 03:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-31-2015, 03:17 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Claus, Haslinger has been in business as a family operation for 66 years. There are 7 production employees and only 1 of them specializes in the soap production. Totally hands on with the added benefit of modern manufacturing. Your call on whether it's artisan or not. The Haslinger's don't mind either way. Wink

Well then......they are artisanes.......or..........no, they aren't......... Tongue

Okay, then I'll make a Top 5 true artisane list and a Top 5 semi/almost artisane list  Biggrin

Top 5 True Artisans

1. Tabula Rasa
2. Cold River Soap Works Select
3. Le Pere Lucien
4. Barrister & Mann
5. Catie's Bubbles

Top 5 Semi/Almost Artisans

1. Klar Seifen
2. Martin De Candre
3. Castle Forbes
4. Meissner Tremonia
5. Haslinger

Wouldn't Meissner Tremonia be considered artisan?  What is the definition of artisan that we're using?

My top 2 (at the moment anyway) are Meissner Tremonia and Castle Forbes.  Yesterday, I received a gigantic order of Meissner soaps and creams.  In fact, it became a "discussion point" at dinner last evening.  Things seem OK this morning though.  Connaught had to send it in several boxes to comply with postal regulations!

1 418
 12-31-2015, 07:32 AM
User Info
(12-31-2015, 07:02 AM)David Wrote:
(12-31-2015, 03:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-31-2015, 03:17 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Claus, Haslinger has been in business as a family operation for 66 years. There are 7 production employees and only 1 of them specializes in the soap production. Totally hands on with the added benefit of modern manufacturing. Your call on whether it's artisan or not. The Haslinger's don't mind either way. Wink

Well then......they are artisanes.......or..........no, they aren't......... Tongue

Okay, then I'll make a Top 5 true artisane list and a Top 5 semi/almost artisane list  Biggrin

Top 5 True Artisans

1. Tabula Rasa
2. Cold River Soap Works Select
3. Le Pere Lucien
4. Barrister & Mann
5. Catie's Bubbles

Top 5 Semi/Almost Artisans

1. Klar Seifen
2. Martin De Candre
3. Castle Forbes
4. Meissner Tremonia
5. Haslinger

Wouldn't Meissner Tremonia be considered artisan?  What is the definition of artisan that we're using?

My top 2 (at the moment anyway) are Meissner Tremonia and Castle Forbes.  Yesterday, I received a gigantic order of Meissner soaps and creams.  In fact, it became a "discussion point" at dinner last evening.  Things seem OK this morning though.  Connaught had to send it in several boxes to comply with postal regulations!
Laughing1 I laugh because I had the same experience myself this week!

75 2,321
 12-31-2015, 07:41 AM
User Info
Let's see...

1. Soapy Bath Man
2. Soap of the Gods (Van Yulay)
3. Soap Commander
4. Italian Barber
5. Tiki soaps

They are not in any particular order, just some of my favorites at the moment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 203
 12-31-2015, 08:38 AM
User Info
Mystic Water
Mike's Natural
LPL
JabonMan
SCS

42 1,199
 12-31-2015, 08:43 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I'm not sure which ones are artisan and which are not so I can only say what my favorites are. O&C, vintage Yardley, the Fat, Tabac...and on and on....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7 2,361
 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I will say this though, my favorite soap to shave with is O&C due to the entire experience, the absolute best performers are my vintage Yardleys.  Among current contenders though there are a few crowding the top as far as performance.

7 2,361
 12-31-2015, 09:10 AM
User Info
For me, artisan means the soap is made by one person, the artisan. They may have some helpers assisting with the business, but the artisan must have his or her hands on the product.

42 1,199
 12-31-2015, 09:40 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Off the top of my head (and subject to revision):

Strop Shoppe Limited Edition
Saponificio Varesino (my favorite non-tallow soap artisan or otherwise)
Mike's Naturals
Mickey Lee
RazoRock SMdF

149 2,823
 12-31-2015, 09:55 AM
User Info
1. Tim's
2. Soaps
3. Are
4. Really
5. Good

I like Sapone Di Paolo and LASS, too.

29 1,776
 12-31-2015, 10:06 AM
User Info
1. Mystic Waters
2. Mike's Natural
3. Nuavia
4. Cold River Soap Works
5. Barrister & Mann

75 2,321
 12-31-2015, 10:11 AM
User Info
(12-31-2015, 02:00 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I have yet to try Stirling, Soap Commander, Mike's Natural and Mystic Water.

But so far my Top 5 artisane soap makers are:

1. Tabula Rasa
2. Cold River Soap Works Select (not tested version 2 yet)
3. Le Pere Lucien
4. Barrister & Mann
5. Martin de Candre

Honourable mention: Castle Forbes

Still not sure if Klar and Haslinger are artisane soap makers or not ?

CRSW
Barrister and Mann
Mikes Natural soaps
Soap commander
Tiki

HM
country club for men

0 55
 12-31-2015, 10:50 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon