12-31-2015, 08:23 PM
User Info
I just received a Tulip2 in Super Badger. I really wanted a Simpsons and I've found the synthetics to have a bit too much backbone and the Best to be a little too scratchy for me. I love the handle and the design, as I do for most of their brushes, but the Super looks and feels the same as the Best to me, is that how it's supposed to be? Someone told me that the Super was very soft, like a silver tip but it currently doesn't feel that way. Does it soften over time? This is not a knock on Simpsons just a question about the grade. My face only agrees with silvertip badger, other grades irritate me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 326
 12-31-2015, 09:31 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
The line between grades is not a bright, white line. You may have tried very a scratchy Super, or a very soft Best. Personally, I have a Duke 3 in "Best" that is much softer than a Super. There is quite a bit of subjectivity to it.

22 828
 12-31-2015, 09:50 PM
User Info
Thanks. It's hard to tell sometimes with all the different names and grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 326
 01-01-2016, 08:23 AM
User Info
The lines between Simpson Best and Super are not always clear.  Many report having a Best that feels as soft as a Super, while others report a Best that has scratch.  However, I've never had a Super that was not soft.  Give your brush time before forming any conclusions about it.

50 6,107
 01-01-2016, 09:02 AM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 08:23 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The lines between Simpson Best and Super are not always clear.  Many report having a Best that feels as soft as a Super, while others report a Best that has scratch.  However, I've never had a Super that was not soft.  Give your brush time before forming any conclusions about it.

Signs011

83 21,081
 01-01-2016, 09:32 AM
User Info
I will def give it sometime. I plan on using it at least 4 times a week for the next month

18 326
 01-01-2016, 04:59 PM
User Info
IME badger brushes do not soften up much at the tips, if at all, over time. What does happen is that the knot will bloom a little more, which will obviously affect face feel. If you have sensitive skin, my advice would be to use a lighter touch when lathering or spreading lather on your face. Do not mash your brush. I did this when I first started wet shaving years ago and ended up with "brush burn" a few times. It can happen even with a nice silvertip brush.

0 189
 01-01-2016, 05:04 PM
User Info
Very true Cvac. And Simpsons does recommend painting strobes anyway.

18 326
 01-01-2016, 05:14 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 05:04 PM)Miketorrge Wrote: Very true Cvac. And Simpsons does recommend painting strobes anyway.

I've typically had excellent results with use light circular strokes to spread out soap and make a lather, then fine tuning and spreading out the lather with paintbrush strokes. You only need the very tips of the knot to do the circular strokes, it is not necessary to mash the brush on your face. Same thing with loading. Mashing can damage the brush over time, and create a bunch of broken hairs in the middle of the knot.

0 189