12-31-2015, 08:40 PM
User Info
would the 28 mm knot be as dense as a simpson's chubby knot? 
How is this knot compared to simpson's manchurian ? 
How is this knot compared to simpson's super 3 band ? 
How is this knot compared to simpson's super 2 band ?

7 310
 12-31-2015, 09:48 PM
User Info
Nothing is as dense as a Simpson Chubby knot.  But the Shavemac in my experience is pretty close.

I have 2 brushes in Simpson Super Badger, and one in Manchurian.  I have not been able to find a brush that Simpson has labeled as 2 band or 3 band.

I have 2 Shavemac 2 band silver tip brushes.

I would compare the Shavemac 2 band quite favorably with my Simpson Super badger brushes, to me they are quite similar in performance.  They both provide me with ample backbone and the tips are soft enough in both brands that I don't have any reason to even mention scritch.

My Simpson Manchurian at present only has 2 shaves on it, so I hesitate to compare it with anything just yet.

To me, the aesthetics of the brushes make for a much bigger difference.  

You can get customization from Shavemac, not so from Simpson.  If you like the looks of one brand over the other that would be the one to go with.  

Simpson is classic British shaving elegance, and you'll never be sorry for having one. Shavemac is German craftsmanship with available customization.

Either way, you're going to get a brush that will likely last you the rest of your life.

0 409
 12-31-2015, 11:23 PM
User Info
(12-31-2015, 08:40 PM)inspectoring Wrote: would the 28 mm knot be as dense as a simpson's chubby knot? 
How is this knot compared to simpson's manchurian ? 
How is this knot compared to simpson's super 3 band ? 
How is this knot compared to simpson's super 2 band ?

*not as dense as the Chubby 2 Super if this is what you want to compare the Shavemac 28mm D-01 2-Band knot to. However, the latter's shafts of hair are thicker and it is still quite a dense knot. You'll have more backbone in a Bulb shape as opposed to a Fan shape.

*you'll find the D-01 2-Band knots to have more 'scritch/scrub' which might be a bit uncomfortable depending on your face/skin and, usually, need time to soften up. However, you may still find it to be too scritchy/scrubby.

*no comparison, in my opinion; the D-01 2-Band is the strongest backbone you'll find in any comparable knot size; Simpsons' Super 3-Band is extremely soft, in general and much denser. It does offer good backbone, but nothing like the D-01 2-Band, in general.

*Depending on which Simpsons' 2-Band that you are referring to. The older ones offered, a few years ago in general, where extremely soft tips with good backbone and nothing like the D-01 2-Bands. I would even say they were polar opposites. The Simpsons' Manchurian hair is more similar to the D-01 than the Simpsons' 2-Band.

Of course, this is all subjective. Shy

83 21,109
 01-01-2016, 03:47 AM
User Info
I've not tried the latest d01 2 band knots, hopefully David (optometrist) replies soon

From memory the new d01 2 band has not scratchy/scritchy feeling like the old ones did.

It's one on my list for 2016!

7 1,182
 01-01-2016, 04:12 AM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 03:47 AM)Dipesh Wrote: I've not tried the latest d01 2 band knots, hopefully David (optometrist) replies soon

From memory the new d01 2 band has not scratchy/scritchy feeling like the old ones did.

It's one on my list for 2016!

I think David has gone away for a few days and cannot reply. Confused

8 1,702
 01-01-2016, 04:25 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Just had Shavemac make me a custom brush with a 2 band silvertip knot. It was shipped 07 Dec. so I guess it is their latest 2 band silvertip. It has very good backbone and very soft tips with no scratch/scratch that I can detect face lathering. Very nice knot and I think it is comparable to the Simpsons Manchurian that I have in many ways. The Manchurian was my favourite badger brush but it looks like it will have to share that spot with the new Shavemac.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-01-2016, 05:01 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Excellent feedback already...I'll add:

The D01 2-Band is Shavemac's most dense knot, certainly more dense than the new 2 band silvertip.

My most recent 28mm knot started out downright uncomfortable for the first week or so of shaves--definite scritch. However, it has mellowed out quite a bit and the only time I detect scritch is if I use pressure. In my experience, these knots evolve into amazing knots, however that evolution takes many uses and for many, it's too much.

As was already mentioned, this knot is a unique experience in that it offers substantial backbone and scrub -- not for everyone. If I had to liken it to any Simpson knot, the closest would be Manchurian, although I still think the Shavemac is quite different.

34 1,627
 01-01-2016, 05:43 AM
User Info
Two-band D01 knots are the densest knots made by Shavemac. Maybe not as dense as a CH2 or 3. The Manchurian hair in the only one brush I have (TSN M6) is very close, if not identical to my D01's.

Both hairs have a quite thick stem, thus having a good backbone; in case of the D01 two-band, I think this could be called extreme backbone. I always call the D01 hair an acquired taste, not everyone likes it. It has a huge backbone and soft tips, but is scrubby, however, I would not call it scritchy. So, in a nutshell, the D01 and the Manchurian are quite comparable.

The Shavemac 2-band silvertip is a totally different hair than the D01 hair ( it is more like the old two-band Super of Simpson), very soft and has a nice backbone, but not to the extreme of D01 or Manchurian. I believe the two-band silvertip is at the moment the best hair for allround use.

0 183
 01-01-2016, 06:18 AM
User Info
Hello guys please help me I want to buy my shavemac DO1 2bandes in 28MM with an output 56mm Very good choice ??

0 56
 01-01-2016, 07:20 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(01-01-2016, 06:18 AM)Pierredu34 Wrote: Hello guys please help me I want to buy my shavemac DO1 2bandes in 28MM with an output 56mm Very good choice ??

When I ordered my 28mm brush, I gave Bernd discretion to choose the loft, and he chose 54mm--and I think that was the right choice.

34 1,627
 01-01-2016, 08:02 AM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 04:25 AM)BobH Wrote: Just had Shavemac make me a custom brush with a 2 band silvertip knot. It was shipped 07 Dec. so I guess it is their latest 2 band silvertip. It has very good backbone and very soft tips with no scratch/scratch that I can detect face lathering. Very nice knot and I think it is comparable to the Simpsons Manchurian that I have in many ways. The Manchurian was my favourite badger brush but it looks like it will have to share that spot with the new Shavemac.

Bob

I do not think the two are comparable Bob. The Mancuairan knots  are a lot more stuffed than the Two band ST Shavemac knots. The backbone is also different, Manchurian has a lot more backbone IMO. My comparison is based on Shavemac 30mm two band ST bulb, and Chubby 3 Manchurian . I personally find CH3 Super to have better backbone and a lot more density than my 30mm Shavemac ST bulb. 

I will get a  D01 knot later this year to try .

11 435
 01-01-2016, 08:15 AM
User Info
A lot of good comments from knowledgeable users.  I agree with Rudy that Simpson Manchurian and D01 2-band are similar.  I also agree that Manchurian and D01 2-band have a lot of scrub, but not scritch.  I think the challenge with D01 2-band is finding the right loft for your face.  A low loft that works great with a silvertip 2-band may be too low for a scrubby D01 2-band.  For me, with a bulb knot in D01 2-band, I would not go to a knot:diameter ratio lower than 1:2, and you could certainly go higher and still have good backbone and scrub.  With a fan however, I think you have some more room to go for a ratio lower than 1:2.  All this assumes one likes the scrub of D01 2-band.  There are those with skin that can't take the D01 2-band, regardless of the loft.

50 6,411
 01-01-2016, 08:46 AM
User Info
Shavemac préconnisé of me taking a 28 / 56mm bulb-shaped D01 2 bands. But I did not find on the forum ????

0 56
 01-01-2016, 08:51 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(01-01-2016, 08:02 AM)mainaman Wrote:
(01-01-2016, 04:25 AM)BobH Wrote: Just had Shavemac make me a custom brush with a 2 band silvertip knot. It was shipped 07 Dec. so I guess it is their latest 2 band silvertip. It has very good backbone and very soft tips with no scratch/scratch that I can detect face lathering. Very nice knot and I think it is comparable to the Simpsons Manchurian that I have in many ways. The Manchurian was my favourite badger brush but it looks like it will have to share that spot with the new Shavemac.

Bob

I do not think the two are comparable Bob. The Mancuairan knots  are a lot more stuffed than the Two band ST Shavemac knots. The backbone is also different, Manchurian has a lot more backbone IMO. My comparison is based on Shavemac 30mm two band ST bulb, and Chubby 3 Manchurian . I personally find CH3 Super to have better backbone and a lot more density than my 30mm Shavemac ST bulb. 

I just checked the invoice for my brush and all it says is Silvertip 2 band. I checked the Shavemac site and the only Silvertip 2 band listed, that I can find, is a DO-1. The brush was shipped 07 Dec 2015 so I have to assume it is a DO-1 2 band. I will contact Bernd Blos when Shavemac opens again after their Christmas Holidays 03 Jan, 2016 to find out which knot exactly mine is. The knot in mine is listed as being 26mm with a 50mm loft fan shaped. This knot has a ton of backbone and soft tips.  There seems to be some confusion over 2 band Silvertip knots from Shavemac, at least I am a little confused.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-01-2016, 08:54 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
For some reason I could not add a photo in post #14. This is the knot I got yesterday pre bloom. I don't know if it will help identify which 2 band it is.

[Image: Shavemac_zpsnprx7sjd.jpg]

Bob

0 1,694
 01-01-2016, 08:59 AM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 08:51 AM)BobLH Wrote: I just checked the invoice for my brush and all it says is Silvertip 2 band. I checked the Shavemac site and the only Silvertip 2 band listed, that I can find, is a DO-1. The brush was shipped 07 Dec 2015 so I have to assume it is a DO-1 2 band. I will contact Bernd Blos when Shavemac opens again after their Christmas Holidays 03 Jan, 2016 to find out which knot exactly mine is. The knot in mine is listed as being 26mm with a 50mm loft fan shaped. This knot has a ton of backbone and soft tips.  There seems to be some confusion over 2 band Silvertip knots from Shavemac, at least I am a little confused.

Bob

Bob, did you talk to Bernd, directly when you ordered your brush?
There is a choice between the Silvertip 2-Band and Silvertip D-01 2-Band knots. You can find this in the Experts Selection page when choosing a brush.
If you go to the Shavemac site, go to 'Configurator' and there is a link called Experts Selection that takes you to the page where you can select you brush: handle, hair, etc. and you'll find this info there.

From your photo, I believe you have the new Silvertip 2-Band hair. Have you used it, yet? If it is extremely soft from its first use, then this is the new hair.

83 21,109
 01-01-2016, 09:14 AM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 08:51 AM)BobH Wrote:
(01-01-2016, 08:02 AM)mainaman Wrote:

Bob

I just checked the invoice for my brush and all it says is Silvertip 2 band. I checked the Shavemac site and the only Silvertip 2 band listed, that I can find, is a DO-1. The brush was shipped 07 Dec 2015 so I have to assume it is a DO-1 2 band. I will contact Bernd Blos when Shavemac opens again after their Christmas Holidays 03 Jan, 2016 to find out which knot exactly mine is. The knot in mine is listed as being 26mm with a 50mm loft fan shaped. This knot has a ton of backbone and soft tips.  There seems to be some confusion over 2 band Silvertip knots from Shavemac, at least I am a little confused.

Bob
I got confused the first time as well, luckily I was able to change my knot selection before my brush was done. 

Here are the two types of two band Silvertip 

[Image: Shavemac%20hair%20types_zps0ljyvikz.jpg]
The Silvertip 2-band is what is most talked about on the forums.

11 435
 01-01-2016, 09:28 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(01-01-2016, 08:59 AM)celestino Wrote:
(01-01-2016, 08:51 AM)BobLH Wrote: I just checked the invoice for my brush and all it says is Silvertip 2 band. I checked the Shavemac site and the only Silvertip 2 band listed, that I can find, is a DO-1. The brush was shipped 07 Dec 2015 so I have to assume it is a DO-1 2 band. I will contact Bernd Blos when Shavemac opens again after their Christmas Holidays 03 Jan, 2016 to find out which knot exactly mine is. The knot in mine is listed as being 26mm with a 50mm loft fan shaped. This knot has a ton of backbone and soft tips.  There seems to be some confusion over 2 band Silvertip knots from Shavemac, at least I am a little confused.

Bob

Bob, did you talk to Bernd, directly when you ordered your brush?
There is a choice between the Silvertip 2-Band and Silvertip D-01 2-Band knots. You can find this in the Experts Selection page when choosing a brush.
If you go to the Shavemac site, go to 'Configurator' and there is a link called Experts Selection that takes you to the page where you can select you brush: handle, hair, etc. and you'll find this info there.

From your photo, I believe you have the new Silvertip 2-Band hair. Have you used it, yet? If it is extremely soft from its first use, then this is the new hair.

OK, now I see where the 2 different 2 bands are listed. I was looking under Product Advisor > Badger Qualities instead. I emailed and asked what knot he had that was similar to a Manchuria in feel and also talked to him on the phone. The term DO-1 Silvertip 2 band never came up only Silvertip 2 band. Between that and the photo in the Experts Selection you are probably right that it is the "New" Silvertip 2 band. Sorry for my "confusion" on that part.
Yes, I have used it twice so far. The tips were soft from the get go and it has a very healthy backbone to it. I thought it felt similar to the Manchurian I have. I think I will contact Shavemac just to confirm in my mind what it is because so when I order another brush or knot that is what I want to make sure I get.

0 1,694
 01-01-2016, 10:00 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Here is a visual to compare the Shavemac Silvertip 2 band I have to the Simpsons Manchurian I have. To me they are visually similar and similar in feel also when face lathering but the Manchurian is well broken in and a smaller knot.

Bob

[Image: Shavemac-vs-Manchurian_zpseek9lomo.jpg]

0 1,694
 01-01-2016, 10:13 AM
User Info
Looking at your brush Bob from that photo it looks like the Silvertip two band and not the D01, here's my three silvertip two bands.

[Image: CSC_1328_zps1mkvkb44.jpg~original]

[Image: DSC_1678_zpslesuhc9n.jpg~original]

[Image: DSC_1723_zpsmzddydk1.jpg~original]

11 1,944