01-01-2016, 08:47 AM
User Info
Hello gents.
I am contemplating a CH2 synthetic as a change of pace brush, can anyone with experience comment on how it compares to other popular synthetic knots?
I have a WD 30mm, Ubersoft 28mm and a 28mm knot from Chiseled Face.

Thank you in advance

11 435
 01-01-2016, 10:34 AM
User Info
It is THE stiffest brush I own. I have a D01 2band 24mm knot set to a height of 43mm and the CH2 synthetic is even stiffer than it.

1 169
 01-01-2016, 10:56 AM
  • Rob W
  • Central IL, USA
User Info
I have not used the brushes you mention but have used the Mühle, Plisson and The Grooming Company brushes. The Simpson CH2 synthetic can have a lot of sample variation depending on the loft that the knot is set. The fibers are very similar to the ones used in the Mühle but are set to a lower loft and might be packed a little denser, so the brush does not splay as easy as the Mühle and EJ synthetic brushes. I have 3 of them with lofts of 49mm, 51mm and 52mm. The 52mm Amber handle brush is my favorite of the three and is my favorite synthetic brush I have.

[Image: sp9intE.jpg]

4 632
 01-01-2016, 11:04 AM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 10:56 AM)Rob W Wrote: I have not used the brushes you mention but have used the Mühle, Plisson and The Grooming Company brushes. The Simpson CH2 synthetic can have a lot of sample variation depending on the loft that the knot is set. The fibers are very similar to the ones used in the Mühle but are set to a lower loft and might be packed a little denser, so the brush does not splay as easy as the Mühle and EJ synthetic brushes. I have 3 of them with lofts of 49mm, 51mm and 52mm. The 52mm Amber handle brush is my favorite of the three and is my favorite synthetic brush I have.

[Image: sp9intE.jpg]

Oooo amber. Still mad i missed out on one if the LE synthetics

2 359
 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM
User Info
I have a CH2 set at 55mm and it's simply superb. In typical synthetic fashion it's a lather machine, but it has qualities that other brushes don't have. In typical CH2 fashion it's a wall of brush. It has gel like tips, yet has lots of backbone. It's quite unique and there is simply no way to compare it to other brushes or a CH2 badger. IMO you want a higher than standard loft unless the loft is currently 55mm. Don't worry about the brush splaying too much. That won't happen. As already stated the brush resists splaying at least until one begins to work up a lather, then the lather will keep it splayed. If you face lather you'll have absolutely no problem with the brush holding enough lather for far to many passes. It's a very nice brush and unlike any other synthetic I own.

The Classic 1s are similar, just without the "wall of brush" feel to them. (I know you didn't ask, but someone might need that info'.)

32 6,445
 01-01-2016, 11:35 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
My CH2 synthetic has a loft of 54.  Of all the synthetics I've tried (muhle, plisson, grooming co.), it's the only one I have left.  I almost wish it had a 56/57mm loft, but oh well.  It does splay well with just a little effort and it's very soft.  It's also a soap monster which I love.

42 581
 01-01-2016, 12:19 PM
User Info
Thanks guys, I'll pick up one to try.

11 435
 01-01-2016, 02:50 PM
User Info
For me the Simpson CH2 synthetic is a very unique kind of synthetic brush! I think it is one of the best out there, a truly face lather brush for me. Mine is set at 54 mm loft, and this is perfect.
The other synthetics I like are Muehle (my travel brush with a 19 mm knot). Muehle and the Simpson fibers are quite similar. For me both of these can be used as a decent shaving brush, and both are not moppy/floppy like the Plissons are.

0 170
 01-01-2016, 03:57 PM
User Info
Of course, like all brush related discussions, it's all subjective. However, for me, the CH2 synthetic is the best on the market.  I arrive at this conclusion after trying the following synthetics extensively in 2014 and 2015:

Chubby 2
Muhle XL
Edwin Jagger XL (same knot as the Muhle)
Plisson
Asylum
Pur Tech
Whipped Dog
The Chiseled Face Fauxmere (Plisson type fibers.  There are now a number of other knots with Plisson type fibers out there). 

My CH2 has a loft of 53mm.  This brush is softer, and has more density and backbone, than any other synthetic I've tried.  It has no glue bump, which means I have the use of the entire loft.  I mention this because many of the synthetic knots on the market have a substantial glue bump.  This glue bump, and not density, is what gives these other knots their backbone.  However, the down side of the glue bump is that you don't get the use of the entire loft.  The brush may list a loft of 55mm, but when you factor in a large glue bump you may end up with an effective loft of 50mm or lower.  For me, the result is a brush that has an odd feel because it just splays at the ends.

The CH2 does have a learning curve.  It does not splay much, but it doesn't need to in order work well.  It does work better with painting strokes rather than circular ones, but I normally use painting strokes anyway.  I face lather exclusively and theCH2 excels at that task.   The face feel of the CH2 synthetic is  unique, just as the face feel of the badger CH2's is unique.

After all my  experimentation, the only synthetics I have kept are the Chubby 2 and the Muhle XL, which does not get much use but is my second choice among synthetics.

48 5,700
 01-01-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
Anyone compared the Ch2 Synthetic to the new Stirling 26 mm KONG ?

24 5,839
 01-02-2016, 02:08 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
(01-01-2016, 04:43 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Anyone compared the Ch2 Synthetic to the new Stirling 26 mm KONG ?

Yes: I found the Stirling to be (too) floppy for my tastes despite the massive glue bump.

1 214
 01-02-2016, 04:42 PM
User Info
For me there is one word that differentiates the Chubby 2 synthetic from all the rest*: Dense!

*i have Plissoft, Plisson, Muhlë STF XL, Kent Silvertex to compare to as far as synthetics.

3 125
 01-02-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
I've not been using my chubby synthetic much. 

But it's definitely heavy on the backbone.  I say even more so than a manchurian hair brush.

Compared with a Chiseled face Alumonics Brush there's no comparison.  The Simpson's has backbone to spare while the Alumonics feels more like a Plisson style synthetic, that is to say cloud soft with medium-low backbone.

I think the regular Muhle synthetic brush is probably the most balanced synthetic  of all the ones I tried; and it's truly a lather machine while still being firm.

Softness: Plisson > CF Alumonics > Muhle = Simpsons
Backbone: Simpson > Muhle >> CF Alumonics > Plisson
Lather Machine: Muhle >>> Plisson >> CF Alumonics > Simpson

In the end of the day, the Simpson's brush is very much a Chubby and all the pros and cons that are associated with Chubby's are still present.

18 642