01-01-2016, 09:27 AM
User Info
If I use ingrown products like Grooming Lounge The Shavior, Tend Skin, or something like this http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-ca...ess-Relief, can i still use an alum block before it or would that be to irritating?

0 98
 01-01-2016, 11:36 AM
User Info
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I question whether or not that product will actually do anything for a true ingrown hair.

Ingrowns are hairs that somehow grew beneath the skin surface and are growing below the skin. The remedy is to let the hair grow out. That takes time and is quite painful. It can be coerced into a more rapid exit from below the skin with physical means, but once growing below the skin until it emerges there's not much that be done unless the product get's "in there" where the hair is growing to relieve the irritation. Maybe a topical anesthetic might help, but the relief would be temporary. If you have "ingrowns" that only last a short time (hours), you don't have ingrowns, but something else. It typically takes days for an ingrown to fix itself or get long enough to allow physical means to extract it.

The best solution is prevention. Many years ago I got them by shaving too close with a cartridge. It was the ATG pass that always did it to me. I stopped doing that pass and stopped getting them. I can do ATG passes with DE or SE with no problems. Now is it the razor or the better products I use today? I don't know and I don't intend to experiment to find out. If bad enough a possible solution for ingrowns is a beard.

I hope you find a solution for yours.

32 6,445
 01-01-2016, 12:25 PM
User Info
The only thing I've found that help with an ingrown hair once it's gotten started is a sharp needle and a steady hand.

As Brian says, the solution is to prevent them; good prep, good technique, and attention to detail is the way forward.

3 4,371
 01-01-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
Prep and hygiene. Those are the keys. 

A good alpha hydroxy and some gentle exfoliatants can help keep the top layer of skin clean and fresh and can help minimize ingrown hairs.

18 642
 01-01-2016, 01:15 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 01:06 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Prep and hygiene. Those are the keys. 

A good alpha hydroxy and some gentle exfoliatants can help keep the top layer of skin clean and fresh and can help minimize ingrown hairs.

Any product recommendations?

0 98
 01-01-2016, 01:24 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 11:36 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The best solution is prevention. Many years ago I got them by shaving too close with a cartridge. It was the ATG pass that always did it to me. I stopped doing that pass and stopped getting them. I can do ATG passes with DE or SE with no problems. Now is it the razor or the better products I use today? I don't know and I don't intend to experiment to find out. If bad enough a possible solution for ingrowns is a beard.

This can help with the irritation also i think. I was on wet shave from 1 year and cant have 100% good shaves from DE yet, had good shaves but also had bad.
I think my most important error is that i apply some pressure and many repetition passes to find same close as for example my sensor 3 carts.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

3 1,036
 01-01-2016, 01:54 PM
User Info
Best thing I found to prevent ingrowns is to moisturize your skin really well after shaving. Even if you have oily skin etc. I learned this from my great uncle who was a barber. He used Ponds cream at the time after shaving customers. I have done it my whole life, and knock on wood, have never had an ingrown hair on my face. Choose what you like there are tons of options out there

3 742
 01-02-2016, 02:14 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 01:15 PM)Alex7 Wrote:
(01-01-2016, 01:06 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Prep and hygiene. Those are the keys. 

Any product recommendations?

I've had some success with Shaveworks The Cool Fix.  I've never had a problem with full on ingrown hairs (knock on wood), but for white heads afterwards.

18 642