01-01-2016, 03:26 PM
User Info
There has been a lot of discussion about performance or scent, and occasionally, packaging. Since I became acquainted with SdM, it's been a top three soap for me in terms of performance and scent. Upon acquiring the recent release of the soap in the 200g puck nestled in the handmade (and hand-drawn) jar, I can say unequivocally that this is the best soap in my shaving cabinet.

So my question is, which product has it all for you in terms of performance, scent, and packaging? Please reserve comments such as "all I care about is performance or scent" or anything to do with price for another thread.

[Image: JxWS7me.jpg]
[Image: LiruHfa.jpg]
[Image: xTQmgTa.jpg]
[Image: tmivkl8.jpg]

160 1,038
 01-01-2016, 03:52 PM
User Info
very cool where did you come across that jar with puck? Do you have a link, I'd love to get one if they are available ! 

To answer your question I guess my answer would be Tabac. That Tabac bowl is just beautiful minimalism and there's something about the distinct clank of the lid when you remove it or put it back on. That sdm set up you got above is making me drool though , I am jealous!

0 28
 01-01-2016, 03:55 PM
User Info
B&M Vetyver Santal and Solarion. I can't choose one between those two.

13 947
 01-01-2016, 03:56 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 03:52 PM)marcall Wrote: very cool where did you come across that jar with puck? Do you have a link, I'd love to get one if they are available ! 

To answer your question I guess my answer would be Tabac. That Tabac bowl is just beautiful minimalism and there's something about the distinct clank of the lid when you remove it or put it back on. That sdm set up you got above is making me drool though , I am jealous!

They are available direct from SdM. The shipping is steep, but it was absolutely worth it to have these in my shaving cabinet (plus they took only two days to get here from France).

160 1,038
 01-01-2016, 04:14 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
SdM has been the best soap for me this year, and since I just ordered the handmade jar, I'll have to agree with you.

Next in line is Czech & Speake, No. 88 as well as O&C.

38 5,115
 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM
User Info
Boellis Panama 1924 and C&S 88 / OC for me.

Very nice SdM jar!  My only (honest) question is why they don't have lids?  I bought original Donkey Milk (sold bc of this after one great use) and recently bought Tempete and hate that I had to rip the sticker / slap it on another tub ... or go with yet another unlabeled wood jar.  As a result I haven't used yet.  I will soon because I know it will be great.  I also will likely start looking for that jar Smile

192 1,588
 01-01-2016, 04:30 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
SdM has been a favorite since I bought a tin of the 25% at Planete Rasoir in Paris a couple of years ago. It's equal to any other soap regardless of type.

May Have to get that pot!

Cheers, Steve

7 528
 01-01-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 03:26 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: There has been a lot of discussion about performance or scent, and occasionally, packaging. Since I became acquainted with SdM, it's been a top three soap for me in terms of performance and scent. Upon acquiring the recent release of the soap in the 200g puck nestled in the handmade (and hand-drawn) jar, I can say unequivocally that this is the best soap in my shaving cabinet.

So my question is, which product has it all for you in terms of performance, scent, and packaging? Please reserve comments such as "all I care about is performance or scent" or anything to do with price for another thread.

I'm sorry but that jar is hideous! Looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old with a magic marker and no artistic talent. Where's the lid?

0 74
 01-01-2016, 04:51 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 04:43 PM)LAParker Wrote:
(01-01-2016, 03:26 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: There has been a lot of discussion about performance or scent, and occasionally, packaging. Since I became acquainted with SdM, it's been a top three soap for me in terms of performance and scent. Upon acquiring the recent release of the soap in the 200g puck nestled in the handmade (and hand-drawn) jar, I can say unequivocally that this is the best soap in my shaving cabinet.

I'm sorry but that jar is hideous! Looks like it was drawn by a 5 year old with a magic marker and no artistic talent. Where's the lid?

Funny. I guess for you a $.25 plastic tub with a lid beats a jar handmade by an artisan in the French countryside...

160 1,038
 01-01-2016, 05:33 PM
User Info
My current favourite soaps vary a bit from week to week, depending on my skin, the weather, the time I have to shave, the stress factor and all that.

But currently the shaving soaps/creams that gives me the best performance and has the best presentation are these:

Meißner Tremonia Pink Grapefruit (Paste as well as soap), I own 6 paste and 6 soaps from them, the Pink Grapefruit is my favourite scent
Acqua di Parma (old as well as new version), the old one has the best scent ever, the new has the best performance ever
Plisson Shaving soap in porcelaine bowl with beach wood lid, the scent reminds me of how the original Dior Eau Sauvage EDT smelled before it was reformulated.
Tabula Rasa Dark Lavender, own 3 Tabula Rasa, even though the plastic pots are not that classy, the soap is so great I have to put it on this list, and the Dark Lavender scent is divine
Klar Seifen Classic - I own all 3 scented versions and have them placed in 3 very nicely done classy mahogany wood containers. The Classic smells of leather & spice. GREAT
Saponificio Varesino - now own 5 from them, all are fantastic, and with the new wooden bowls from them, the presentation is also stellar. The 70.th is in the aluminum lid and the scent is great
Boellis Panama in the porcelaine bowl, very well made almond scented classy soap. AWESOME performer.

24 5,972
 01-01-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 05:33 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: My current favourite soaps vary a bit from week to week, depending on my skin, the weather, the time I have to shave, the stress factor and all that.

But currently the shaving soaps/creams that gives me the best performance and has the best presentation are these:

Meißner Tremonia (Paste as well as soap)
Acqua di Parma (old as well as new version)
Plisson Shaving soap in porcelaine bowl with beach wood lid
Tabula Rasa, even though the plastic pots are not that classy, the soap is so great I have to put it on this list
Klar Seifen - own all 3 scented versions and have them placed in 3 very nicely done classy mahogany wood containers
Saponificio Varesino - now own 5 from them, all are fantastic, and with the new wooden bowls from them, the presentation is also stellar.
Boellis Panama in the porcelaine bowl

I find the Tabula Rasa tubs to be well above the usual standard.

160 1,038
 01-01-2016, 05:34 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 04:43 PM)LAParker Wrote:

I have to agree. I'm really unimpressed with the SdM soap containers and these new handmade jars really don't do it for me and I don't care that they're handmade. The soap is excellent though.

My favourite presentation would have to be the C&S no.88 which is very pricey but it looks excellent and is of very high quality.

For a cheaper option but still great quality is the Tabac jar. I just wish the lid fit a little more snugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 206
 01-01-2016, 05:36 PM
User Info
For me it's easy: Absolutely without question PannaCrema's Nuavia Blu. This dominates everything else I've tried when evaluated on all metrics.

The runner up would be Martin de Candre, which comes in a close second.

Other contenders that I haven't yet tried would be Santa Maria Novella, Boellis Panama 1924, and Saponificio Varesino.

3 1,484
 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
My vote goes to Martin de Candre Fougere

113 1,497
 01-01-2016, 07:27 PM
User Info
If I have to include packaging along with performance and scent, then it would have to be Nuavia Blue & Red even though I don't own one of the coffrets. The soap is exceptional, though. Shy

83 21,081
 01-01-2016, 11:08 PM
User Info
(01-01-2016, 07:27 PM)celestino Wrote: If I have to include packaging along with performance and scent, then it would have to be Nuavia Blue & Red even though I don't own one of the coffrets. The soap is exceptional, though. Shy

Agreed.  I ordered round 2 of those yesterday Smile

192 1,588
 01-02-2016, 02:07 AM
User Info
Taking into consideration performance, scent and packaging, my picks are MWF with its traditional ceramic dish, and Tabac with its retro opaline-glass jar.

Boellis Panama 1924 is excellent, IMO, but, unfortunately, I've never seen its seemingly attractive coffret, live.

0 491
 01-02-2016, 04:02 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Martin de Candre Fougere for me. Lathers amazing and nice container as well. Penhaligons cream is nice as well but MdC is the one soap I would have if only one could be had.

7 451
 01-02-2016, 04:29 AM
User Info
Performance, scent and packaging...Beaver Woodwright
honorable mention to:
Barrister & Mann
Al's
LPL

36 893
 01-02-2016, 04:30 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
SdM is superb stuff : I was not aware of these distinctive, hand painted, coffrets unril I saw this thread.
Thanks, Chris!

102 18,653