01-02-2016, 02:38 PM
User Info
I received this as a present, still waiting for it in the mail from the US.

I currently use my Plisson original as my travel brush, and while not a huge synthetic fan, I feel they are getting close and close to creating a brush, that I, as a face-lathering 2-band badgerfan, could learn to appreciate and admire.

The KONG is a 26 mm Plisson style brush, but with a high loft of 62 mm - anyone WHO owns this brush and can comment on how it performs up against the big other contenders (including high end badger, Plisson genuine knots and the other contenders)

Thanks in advance.

24 5,965
 01-02-2016, 02:53 PM
User Info
(01-02-2016, 02:38 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I received this as a present, still waiting for it in the mail from the US.

I currently use my Plisson original as my travel brush, and while not a huge synthetic fan, I feel they are getting close and close to creating a brush, that I, as a face-lathering 2-band badgerfan, could learn to appreciate and admire.

The KONG is a 26 mm Plisson style brush, but with a high loft of 62 mm - anyone WHO owns this brush and can comment on how it performs up against the big other contenders (including high end badger, Plisson genuine knots and the other contenders)

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a fan of the Stirling Kong. The brush handle is uncomfortable as I don't find it to be ergonomic. The knot is very nice as it super soft like the Plisson, yet with backbone. Although, after having tried quite a few Plisson knot brushes (Fine, Stirling, Razorock), I prefer the Razorock Plissoft. Not only is it very comfortable, but it closely mimics a 2-band badger. Also, it's $10, you can't go wrong.

79 370
 01-02-2016, 03:25 PM
User Info
I like the kong, but I also wouldn't mind having a RazoRock Plissoft or Fine's new Plisson style knot 24mm with shorter loft. I find the Kong to perform just like the Plisson but loads and lathers faster. It splays as easy as the Plisson and the softness is identical. I like it best for large soap containers such as B&M, Reef Point, and Tim's where there is plenty of room to load the beast.

13 947
 01-02-2016, 03:41 PM
User Info
I second the above regarding the handle.  It is not comfortable. The knot seems decent.  As for comparing, it performs about the same as other syntheric.  I would put the plisson a half notch above.  I also prefer my whipped dog synthetic.   As for how it compares to natural hair (badger or boar) it could be me but it always feels like the synthetic creates a foamier lather. Like I said it could be just me but as much as I have played with lathering technique  in the last year that is what I have found.  
Hope that helps

90 899
 01-02-2016, 04:41 PM
User Info
Thanks, Guys.

How large is the 26 mm KNOG handle compared to say a Simpson Chubby 3 handle or an Edwin Jagger XL STF V2 handle ?

24 5,965
 01-02-2016, 04:54 PM
User Info
(01-02-2016, 04:41 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Thanks, Guys.

How large is the 26 mm KNOG handle compared to say a Simpson Chubby 3 handle or an Edwin Jagger XL STF V2 handle ?

It's larger for sure, but I can't say how much. Btw, I actually like the handle. It's not my favorite design but I do like it. Hopefully the pic below gives you some indication. The WW custom is a 50mm tall handle I believe, and the brush next to the Stirling on the right is a 30mm Whipped Dog. 

[Image: t7CFaWM.jpg]

13 947
 01-02-2016, 05:02 PM
User Info
(01-02-2016, 04:54 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:

It's larger for sure, but I can't say how much. Btw, I actually like the handle. It's not my favorite design but I do like it. Hopefully the pic below gives you some indication. The WW custom is a 50mm tall handle I believe, and the brush next to the Stirling on the right is a 30mm Whipped Dog. 

Thanks, my good friend Smile

I own this handle from Shavemac, a 27 mm 2-band badger knot in this nice quite large handle:

[Image: 1SrDVOh.jpg]

The KONG handle reminds me quite a bit of my Coffe Brown Shavemac handle.

24 5,965
 01-02-2016, 05:08 PM
User Info
(01-02-2016, 05:02 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-02-2016, 04:54 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:

Thanks, my good friend Smile

I own this handle from Shavemac, a 27 mm 2-band badger knot in this nice quite large handle:

[Image: 1SrDVOh.jpg]

The KONG handle reminds me quite a bit of my Coffe Brown Shavemac handle.

Claus, I think you are going to like the Kong handle. It does indeed look similar to your Coffee Brown one. Those are both very nice by the way.

13 947
 01-02-2016, 05:14 PM
User Info
I own the Plissoft 24mm in regular handle and Kong 26mm. I would give the nod to plissoft in the regular or barber style handle. The fine stout synthetic is one that intrigues me - great handle and this knot probably would perform very well a few milimeters deeper. WD 24mm in their nice resin handle would likely do well. Bullgoose has a nice orange Thater style handle with synthetic knot, but at $55 it is 3 to 5 times as expensive as RR regular Plissoft.

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

0 14
 01-02-2016, 08:30 PM
User Info
Here you go, a (poor picture) of my current brushes:
[Image: 4_AllBrushesS_zpswoxyjh5p.jpg]

From L to R: 2nd get Epsilon 2-band, Chubby 2, TSN Paladin, Paladin Chief from 2nd round, my new Rudy Vey Shavemac (pre bloom), Omega 49, Stirling Kong, 1st gen Epsilon Horse, Whipped Dog 24mm Synthetic

Its a fun brush (mine has a 28mm knot), but I can't compare it to my badgers...

7 903
 01-05-2016, 05:28 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Stirling Kong is my favorite out of all the synthetics I have tried. The ones i've tried were TGC, Muhle V2 Black Fibre and EJ XL V2 Silvertip Fibre. Imho has a good amount of backbone without the springyness when compared to this others. Although I don't think a synthetic will ever feel exactly to a badger, I do believe the Kong felt the closest to a badger brush. YMMV but it won't hurt to try out.

10 963
 01-05-2016, 02:59 PM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 05:28 AM)Balj86 Wrote: Stirling Kong is my favorite out of all the synthetics I have tried. The ones i've tried were TGC, Muhle V2 Black Fibre and EJ XL V2 Silvertip Fibre. Imho has a good amount of backbone without the springyness when compared to this others. Although I don't think a synthetic will ever feel exactly to a badger, I do believe the Kong felt the closest to a badger brush. YMMV but it won't hurt to try out.

I'm getting it soon.

It's currently stuck in the customs department, but should get it in a few days or so.......

I don't expect a synthetic to feel like a badger, but I hope they someday will be able to deliver on the areas, where I feel they lack:

1. Poor heat retention. Probably will never going to solved..........just one reaso I like badger over synthetics. I enjoy still feeling warm lather during the second pass. Not possible with a synthetic unless you use a brush scuttle.

2. Poor water retention. I think a more dense brush like the KONG will solve this problem a little bit, but the nature of Synthetic is against water retention, which is why I much prefer a badger. You can argue that you probably get a more stable lather, and faster, with a synthetic, than you get with a badger - but I argue that you can get a just as stable lather with a badger, but it just takes longer time to make. I also argue, that the water retention in badgers, makes them able to create a more youghurt like lather, because of the way it can add water from the inside of the knot into the lather, while you build it. Lather from synthetics IMHO is made easier, faster and you will get the lather to look more fluffy and voluminous, but I feel you can get a more yoghurt like lather with a badger brush, and I prefer this kind of lather. 

3. Face feel/Face massage. While I can eaqsily see why so many love the cloud soft face feel of the Synthetic, especially the Plisson like syntheics, I still feel the massage you get from the high end badgers, the ones that are NOT floppy, just is so fantastic, it's hard to describe. You have to feel it. And you have to face lather to feel it.

But I believe the new synthetics like the Plissoft, KONG and Simpson Chubby 2's will make it a lot more fun to use synthetics. Now we just need Shavemac, Thäter and the other big guys to start making their versions, with a wide variety of knot sizes, and in a variety of different handle designs.
Just thinkg how fun it wll b, when Shavemac makes it possible to choose from 4-5 different synthetic knot types, then choose the knot size and handle design - it will take the whole Synthetic brush world to the next level IMHO

24 5,965
 01-05-2016, 03:10 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-05-2016, 02:59 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 05:28 AM)Balj86 Wrote: Stirling Kong is my favorite out of all the synthetics I have tried. The ones i've tried were TGC, Muhle V2 Black Fibre and EJ XL V2 Silvertip Fibre. Imho has a good amount of backbone without the springyness when compared to this others. Although I don't think a synthetic will ever feel exactly to a badger, I do believe the Kong felt the closest to a badger brush. YMMV but it won't hurt to try out.

I'm getting it soon.

It's currently stuck in the customs department, but should get it in a few days or so.......

I don't expect a synthetic to feel like a badger, but I hope they someday will be able to deliver on the areas, where I feel they lack:

1. Poor heat retention. Probably will never going to solved..........just one reaso I like badger over synthetics. I enjoy still feeling warm lather during the second pass. Not possible with a synthetic unless you use a brush scuttle.

2. Poor water retention. I think a more dense brush like the KONG will solve this problem a little bit, but the nature of Synthetic is against water retention, which is why I much prefer a badger. You can argue that you probably get a more stable lather, and faster, with a synthetic, than you get with a badger - but I argue that you can get a just as stable lather with a badger, but it just takes longer time to make. I also argue, that the water retention in badgers, makes them able to create a more youghurt like lather, because of the way it can add water from the inside of the knot into the lather, while you build it. Lather from synthetics IMHO is made easier, faster and you will get the lather to look more fluffy and voluminous, but I feel you can get a more yoghurt like lather with a badger brush, and I prefer this kind of lather. 

3. Face feel/Face massage. While I can eaqsily see why so many love the cloud soft face feel of the Synthetic, especially the Plisson like syntheics, I still feel the massage you get from the high end badgers, the ones that are NOT floppy, just is so fantastic, it's hard to describe. You have to feel it. And you have to face lather to feel it.

But I believe the new synthetics like the Plissoft, KONG and Simpson Chubby 2's will make it a lot more fun to use synthetics. Now we just need Shavemac, Thäter and the other big guys to start making their versions, with a wide variety of knot sizes, and in a variety of different handle designs.
Just thinkg how fun it wll b, when Shavemac makes it possible to choose from 4-5 different synthetic knot types, then choose the knot size and handle design - it will take the whole Synthetic brush world to the next level IMHO

You might want to look at the Ubersoft 2 knot.  It claims to do a better job of heat retention than other synthetics.  I haven't used one, so I can't offer an opinion.

3 561
 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM
User Info
Heat retention is definitely still a big problem, as is water retention...

7 903
 01-05-2016, 07:27 PM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 03:10 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 02:59 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

I'm getting it soon.

You might want to look at the Ubersoft 2 knot.  It claims to do a better job of heat retention than other synthetics.  I haven't used one, so I can't offer an opinion.

I have the Ubersoft II in my WW custom and although I do like it, I like the Stirling Kong much better. If you like a lot of backbone though the Ubersoft II has it. I like the regular Ubersoft better but I do enjoy the II also. I'm not sure on heat retention but I don't go for really hot shaves either. It is supposed to be better at it. I'll keep that in mind next time I use it.

13 947
 01-06-2016, 05:58 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
(01-05-2016, 07:27 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 03:10 PM)DayMan Wrote:
(01-05-2016, 02:59 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm getting it soon.

I have the Ubersoft II in my WW custom and although I do like it, I like the Stirling Kong much better. If you like a lot of backbone though the Ubersoft II has it. I like the regular Ubersoft better but I do enjoy the II also. I'm not sure on heat retention but I don't go for really hot shaves either. It is supposed to be better at it. I'll keep that in mind next time I use it.

You will probably be surprised with water retention when using the Kong. I haven't had a problem b/c I usually add droplets of water to the tips when face lathering which I know you are a fan of. But aside from that 
i'm really looking forward to what you think.

10 963
 01-06-2016, 06:45 AM
User Info
I really enjoy the Kong. It holds enough lather for 3 passes and some touch up. For perspective, the other large brush I own is a Kent BK8. It is not a fair comparison, but the synthetics at their price point are worthy additions to a den. I also have the Plissoft L'Occitane and the Razo Rock Plissoft. The synthetics lather really fast and dry quickly, and have replaced my wee scot for travel.

0 61
 01-06-2016, 07:20 AM
User Info
Claus I'm in your boat with not being completely sold on Synthetics.  Yes they make lather quickly with less product BUT I still feel I get closer shaves with the scrub generated by natural hair as well as denser lather with less effort as the natural hair picks up more product faster IMO.  It may be in my head but I really think the scrubbier badger grades (Simpsons Manchurian, Shavemac D01 2-band, etc) do the best job of getting the hairs to stand up and leave me with a closer shave than my Plisson like 24mm set at 53mm or my EJ XL knot though I do get adequate shaves with them.  After reading some of your prior posts on synthetics I think I share some of your preferences and do not think you will be enamored with the Kong though it does have a good synthetic knot and a nice hefty handle.  I passed mine on to a buddy getting into wet shaving only because it did not fit my travel tube.  I don't think synthetics are 'soulless' but I also have not found one that offers the scrub I prefer in my brushes.  Really hard to argue the value at that price point though and I am fully aware that my Badgers are not necessary to get a good shave.

83 423
 01-06-2016, 07:32 AM
User Info
(01-02-2016, 02:38 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I received this as a present, still waiting for it in the mail from the US.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Kong, and its the only synthetic I currently own, after owning the Fine, Satin tip purest, and the Plisson.  I tend to like HUGE knots.  Although I do not like the handle, as some others commented on, I can overlook this because the size of this knot is enormous and has a ton of backbone, more backbone than any synthetic I've ever used.  Once I started getting into the high end badgers a bit, I sold the Fine, Satin tip, and the Plisson and kept the Kong, only because of its softness/backbone combo with the huge face feel of the big knot.

The plisson to me had too little backbone, the satin tip I found a bit scratchy, and the Fine knot was just too small.  In fact I think the size of all these knots were too small for my personal preference. Just me though.  

I travel with the Kong by the way and it works out well.

1 468
 01-06-2016, 07:47 AM
User Info
(01-06-2016, 07:32 AM)SCShaver Wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I have the Kong, and its the only synthetic I currently own, after owning the Fine, Satin tip purest, and the Plisson.  I tend to like HUGE knots.  Although I do not like the handle, as some others commented on, I can overlook this because the size of this knot is enormous and has a ton of backbone, more backbone than any synthetic I've ever used.  Once I started getting into the high end badgers a bit, I sold the Fine, Satin tip, and the Plisson and kept the Kong, only because of its softness/backbone combo with the huge face feel of the big knot.

The plisson to me had too little backbone, the satin tip I found a bit scratchy, and the Fine knot was just too small.  In fact I think the size of all these knots were too small for my personal preference. Just me though.  

I travel with the Kong by the way and it works out well.

I feel the same exact way, except I also like the Whipped Dog/Ubersoft. I sold my Plisson and I'm triying to sell my satin tip. Lately I've been rotating the Kong and my Thater every other day.

13 947