01-02-2016, 09:49 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
So here I am laying in bed and finally finding the time to make this post I have been thinking about all day.

It had been 9 months to a year since I had used a ATT razor. I had a m2, r1, h2 set. The m2 was good for sleeping while shaving but never was that close of a shave but super quick and would knock some of the hair down, the r1 was close but not as efficient as I wanted, the h2 was just way too much for me. So after trying some ikon razors and a mongoose I decided to hunt down an s1 & s2 to try. I had hear that they were between the M and R plates when it can to smoothness and feel but slightly more efficient than the r1. This sounded like the perfect fit i needed.

So the first few shaves were pretty good, I had paired it with a Webber Wave handle, one of my favorites. But the shaves were only ok ..... TILL today I decided when I got the razor out to switch up the handle to another one of my favorites the Mongoose Ginger Swirl .... OMG!!!! Not sure why but that seemed to be the missing link 2 ½ pass BBS face and head shave, head had one little pinky size spot that I somehow missed on the 2nd pass (wife couldn't feel it but I could) and I still need to figure out the right technique to get a better shave on my neck with the slave as it was BBS but the alum block stung a lot, but other than the neck not one tingle anywhere else from the alum.

Has anyone else ever had this experience? Or am I just crazy? Does somethings just align and seem perfect?

Well I'm off to sleep I was everyone a good night! Shave on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 785
 01-02-2016, 10:12 PM
User Info
The handle makes a pretty big difference for me too. I use a MR8 150g handle with my EJ DE89 head, and a MR11 handle for my Ikon 101 head. I find the EJ to be too mild with the lighter weight stock handle so the MR8 makes it more efficient.

13 947
 01-03-2016, 08:42 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
JMHO:
 A slight change in the weight of the handle can temporarily vary the angle of the blade to your face. Meaning, if the handle is heavier, the angle of the cutting edge will be a bit larger due to your previous muscle memory of the razor. The opposite is also true. A few shaves down the line and you will have relearned the technique with the new weight and balance.

'Could be the reason that some folks like one established brand better than another...Injector, vs, SE, vs DE.
~Richard

8 1,194
 01-03-2016, 09:33 AM
User Info
I picked up a 102 head a couple weeks back and was using it with the OSS handle.

IMO it felt unbalanced and too heavy for the head. Last week I procured at JH OFO Wave in Titanium. Shorter and lighter handle. It made the razor much more balanced and really allowed me to maneuver the razor.

Handles are almost as important as the accompanying head in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 517
 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM
User Info
[Image: GVBehrY.jpg]

Having tried a variety of handles: length, weight, material, knurling, etc.
The winner is the WRH3 ALU custom length (85mm) - handle in the centre .
I have discovered over time that for me, lighter is better - handle and overall weight.
Length is a function of how it fits in my hand (85-90mm max)

I am continually amazed by the design of Bullet (TTO)  - all categories: handle length, weight, grooves vs knurling.

2 150
 01-03-2016, 07:15 PM
User Info
Up til now, I've had an R89 Twist and a Slim.  So, no changing out the handles.  I have a New LC on the way and can begin experimenting with handles.  It will have a Fat Tech handle to start.  

Other handle recommendation?

11 194
 01-03-2016, 07:17 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I really like handles with some sort of "pommel" on the end, to help bring the center of mass outward. I think it helps to steady the movement of the razor. The iKon SE or Weber Classic come to mind.

22 828
 01-06-2016, 08:04 AM
User Info
After using a long handled Merkur Slant for a very long time and the short version before that I thought I would try the new Muhle R41 Grande Open Comb.

The new R41 head is fabulous for me with a Feather blade to cut my old white whiskers that get more wiry every year!

The R41 looks great, but the handle I find too slippery after using a heavily knurled workman's toolbox  Merkur for years.

Let'e see how I get on with the Windrose SSL available in UK (But he will post worldwide.)

<<ModEdit: Link to non-supporting vendor removed>>

[OK, so search for that on the bay in the United Kingdom]

My Windrose SSL handle arrived in very quick time. I have used it with the R41 head and a Feather blade on three days growth of white wiry whiskers. The combination worked impressively well. The R41 with the Grande handle was good but after using the long handled Merkur Slant for many years I did not feel quite in control with the lighter R41 Grande handle. The Windrose SSL handle corrects the problem very well. The extra weight with its change of balance and the deep knurling on the SSL handle make the difference for me.

[Image: JGPt766.jpg]

Long handled Merkur Slant and Muhle R41 Grande out of the box.

[Image: Xs4dpYo.jpg]

Long handled Merkur Slant and Muhle R41 head on Windrose SSL stainless steel handle.

[Image: BOFa8fP.jpg]

Muhle Grande handle and Windrose SSL Handle

So yes, the handle can make or break the usability of a razor for a particular owner.

0 42
 01-06-2016, 08:10 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I'd enjoy seeing those pictures. Wink

22 828
 01-06-2016, 08:23 AM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 07:17 PM)chamm Wrote: I really like handles with some sort of "pommel" on the end, to help bring the center of mass outward. I think it helps to steady the movement of the razor. The iKon SE or Weber Classic come to mind.

craig, I have an led light ordered to put over my zebrawood razor holder to show it off.  its finally full of razors I will post a picture for you.

73 1,296
 01-06-2016, 09:36 AM
User Info
(01-06-2016, 08:10 AM)chamm Wrote: I'd enjoy seeing those pictures. Wink

I hope you can see them now, Craig

0 42
 01-12-2016, 09:42 PM
User Info
A good handle is like a good pen. Fits in the hand well, and is comfortable all the time.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-12-2016, 09:51 PM
User Info
For me handle makes a big difference. Heavier handles in particular seem to aid the glide of the razor. In this regard the drag effect becomes much more comfortable.

3 1,484
 01-13-2016, 08:20 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
(01-12-2016, 09:42 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: A good handle is like a good pen. Fits in the hand well, and is comfortable all the time.

Yep that is the truth there. My sweet spot for fountain pens seems to be in the 10.5mm - 12.5mm grip section range. I have sold all my small pens (but for a Pilot Metro I keep on my desk at work so I dont mind if it "grows legs")

16 785
 01-13-2016, 09:01 AM
User Info
(01-13-2016, 08:20 AM)Wrathen Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 09:42 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: A good handle is like a good pen. Fits in the hand well, and is comfortable all the time.

Yep that is the truth there. My sweet spot for fountain pens seems to be in the 10.5mm - 12.5mm grip section range. I have sold all my small pens (but for a Pilot Metro I keep on my desk at work so I dont mind if it "grows legs")
Haha! All my good pens take off on me...they leave the pests behind.

1 1,975
 01-13-2016, 09:12 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The impact of the handle was most prevalent for me with the Joris razor.

Originally I had various materials like horn and wood handled Joris razors. However, I sold them all in favour of the all metal versions. I found the balance and resulting shave with these far superior to the other lighter handle options.

[Image: WWuHoNJ.png]

99 18,011
 01-13-2016, 09:31 AM
User Info
Handles definitely do matter. I have recently switched out my SS handle on my SS Wolfman head to a aluminum version and have noticed that my shaves have improved significantly. Makes the razor a bit easier to maneuver and also helps with weepers/irritation.

80 947
 01-13-2016, 09:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The aesthetics of the handle is also an important factor for me. The fact that artisans are not only offering different lengths and girths, but also a variety of materials (stainless steel, aluminium, titanium etc) ensures that visual appeal doesn't have to be discounted in favour weight and balance...

[Image: TXIpCJ7.png]

99 18,011
 01-13-2016, 09:58 AM
User Info
(01-13-2016, 09:38 AM)ben74 Wrote: The aesthetics of the handle is also an important factor for me. The fact that artisans are not only offering different lengths and girths, but also a variety of materials (stainless steel, aluminium, titanium etc) ensures that visual appeal doesn't have to be discounted in favour weight and balance...

Are you a professional photographer mate? That is one of the nicest pics I've ever seen of shaving products. Gorgeous! I agree that handle aesthetics makes a big difference.

Another thing (for me) is that the handle has to match the brand of the cap. I know some like to mix and match, but somehow it improves my experience if I'm using a complete razor from one craftsman.

3 1,484
 01-13-2016, 10:53 AM
User Info
(01-13-2016, 09:38 AM)ben74 Wrote: The aesthetics of the handle is also an important factor for me. The fact that artisans are not only offering different lengths and girths, but also a variety of materials (stainless steel, aluminium, titanium etc) ensures that visual appeal doesn't have to be discounted in favour weight and balance...

That is background picture worthy. Do you mind sending me a full rez?

Thanks!

18 654