01-03-2016, 09:32 AM
User Info
I have to say, thinking that in just the past couple of years, we have had 3 new SE razors released (Cobra, Mongoose, OneBlade), when literally nothing new has been put out for decades! And there looks like there will be even more new SE offerings in 2016! (And this is not even mentioning the explosion occurring in the DE world!)

Something is in the air... I sense that wet shaving is on the cusp of a renaissance, the likes of which most of us have not seen in our lifetimes! Safety razors are making a comeback, with a focus on quality and innovation (see the highest quality stainless steel, pivots on SE razors, sapphire blades, and all new heirloom quality razors built to last). There clearly is a market for all these razors… what, with new ones coming out all the time, and many of them continually sold out, and waiting months just to be put on a waiting list!

This renaissance is just beginning to spread beyond the niche world of collectors, hobbyists, and enthusiasts... and is just now reaching into the mainstream.

What is next? Who knows... but in the coming years I expect many more razors to be released (some will be not so great, but others truly innovative and industry changing, technologically speaking).

But the tell-tale sign that things have been forever changed, and the new era has been fully reached, will be when Gillette and Schick start making their own heirloom versions of the OneBlade's and Mongoose's, and they can be conveniently found in your local Walmart.  (And I do not mean Art of Shaving remakes of old razors, but new 21st century designs).

End of prophesy... Lightbulb

2 308
 01-03-2016, 09:41 AM
User Info
Waiting for my new all steel injector with replaceable 'heads' to adjust aggression levels.  I think you can find the company with a quick Google search.

Cant wait!

SE are starting to be more appealing.  I think we need an entry level price point for it to REALLY take off; currently most SE stuff is priced out for most people who are just curious about it and don't want to go vintage.

18 655
 01-03-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
I think the new injector you mention is close to that price point. (And holy crap, a modern injector too!!! Scared )

I'm thinking $40-$50 price point will be key, and I expect it to be coming.

2 308
 01-03-2016, 09:58 AM
User Info
Nice! Let us know about that modern injector, and your opinion on it, once you hace received it. Smile

2 5,548
 01-03-2016, 09:59 AM
User Info
Exciting times for sure!

Nice to see new innovating the old and not current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 01-03-2016, 10:08 AM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 09:58 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Nice! Let us know about that modern injector, and your opinion on it, once you hace received it. Smile

Yea man, I even tracked down some NOS Personna 74s for it.....

My first injector.  Go big or go home!

I am digging my OneBlade, but sometimes it feels too much like a cart......

18 655
 01-03-2016, 10:17 AM
User Info
Can somebody pm me the new razor mentioned in this thread.

3 1,356
 01-03-2016, 10:33 AM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 10:17 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Can somebody pm me the new razor mentioned in this thread.

done

18 655
 01-03-2016, 10:35 AM
User Info
Got it thanks.

3 1,356
 01-03-2016, 11:00 AM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 09:32 AM)Len Wrote: I sense that wet shaving is on the cusp of a renaissance, the likes of which most of us have not seen in our lifetimes! 

I beg to differ.. the renaissance of traditional wetshaving has been upon us for some years now, and we've been in the vanguard - rediscovering the lost art of our forefathers. I see the introduction of newly designed razors - SE and DE - from large players as a step away from the rediscovery of the arts and skills and towards an era of new discoveries... to stay with your metaphor, we're moving from the wetshaving renaissance and towards wetshavings age of enlightenment and scientific revolution.

We do indeed live in intersting times Biggrin

3 4,666
 01-03-2016, 11:23 AM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 11:00 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(01-03-2016, 09:32 AM)Len Wrote: I sense that wet shaving is on the cusp of a renaissance, the likes of which most of us have not seen in our lifetimes! 

I beg to differ.. the renaissance of traditional wetshaving has been upon us for some years now, and we've been in the vanguard - rediscovering the lost art of our forefathers. I see the introduction of newly designed razors - SE and DE - from large players as a step away from the rediscovery of the arts and skills and towards an era of new discoveries... to stay with your metaphor, we're moving from the wetshaving renaissance and towards wetshavings age of enlightenment and scientific revolution.

I think the quote I bolded of yours is very well said!

However, my choice of words, using renaissance, is meant to imply the masses, or mainstream, is just beginning to experience this renaissance. The rest of us here have experienced this already, but it is still enthusiast/hobbyist/collector based, which is niche. And I think this renaissance is just beginning to touch the mainstream, with a full on explosion ahead.

And yes, the vanguard, here and on other shaving forums, are witnessing the birth among ourselves of this "wetshaving age of enlightenment and scientific revolution." Thumbup

2 308
 01-03-2016, 11:55 AM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 11:23 AM)Len Wrote:
(01-03-2016, 11:00 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:

I think the quote I bolded of yours is very well said!

However, my choice of words, using renaissance, is meant to imply the masses, or mainstream, is just beginning to experience this renaissance. The rest of us here have experienced this already, but it is still enthusiast/hobbyist/collector based, which is niche. And I think this renaissance is just beginning to touch the mainstream, with a full on explosion ahead.

And yes, the vanguard, here and on other shaving forums, are witnessing the birth among ourselves of this "wetshaving age of enlightenment and scientific revolution." Thumbup

What's funny or ironic to me is the fact that the cost of razors is what drives most into looking into other ways of shaving.

If nnot cost then it's from irratation. I remeber back when I used carts browsing for the cheapest place to buy them or trying off brands until finally I just kept a 3 day beard all the time and "shaved" with a trimmer.

People are coming around to traditional shaving more now than ever. Back when I first started the old timers would tell me the safety rwzor was junk and or cut me to pieces etc.

NNow back home in walk into an antique shop and what used to cost me 10-15 bucks for a vintage gillette now has ebay prices if they even have any. The clerks basically tell me the same thing somw young kid came in and bought the razors.

Im away from home and my shaving gear and the other day I needed to get my beard off. Only razor I brought with me was a gem featherweight ,and I got bored and decided to grind the guard off it.

NNow it's a very very aggresive razor,not wanting to use it to even go cross grain a friend loaned me a green cart razor disposable.

I tried to shave every which way with this cart even did a clockwise blade buff and if I removed any stubble I didn't see it or feel it. I honestly do not know how I ever got a decent shave from a cart and more men are seeing that now. Kind of makes me feel silly knowing how much money I spent on carts for poor shaves.

3 1,356
 01-05-2016, 03:21 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I do not believe "the masses" will ever truly embrace wet shaving. They cannot even sit through a 10 minute Youtube video, and have invented a new language of acronyms to avoid having to type simple phrases like "you are" (ur). They have neither the time nor the patience en masse for something like wet shaving.
IMO, this will always be a niche activity.
And Gillette multiblade carts will maintain their command of the market for the vast majority of men who see shaving not as an art, but as a nuisance thay prefer to be done with quickly.
And they will all still look at us as if we have grown a second head.
MHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
But don't hold your breath waiting for the renaissance.

2 1,694
 01-10-2016, 12:37 PM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 03:21 PM)SRNewb Wrote: I do not believe "the masses" will ever truly embrace wet shaving. They cannot even sit through a 10 minute Youtube video, and have invented a new language of acronyms to avoid having to type simple phrases like "you are" (ur). They have neither the time nor the patience en masse for something like wet shaving.
And Gillette multiblade carts will maintain their command of the market for the vast majority of men who see shaving not as an art, but as a nuisance thay prefer to be done with quickly.
MHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

I agree with you 100%. Sure we have see some inroads as stores like Target now carry the VDH razor or some mail-order outlets have a DE for sale but I agree this will always be a niche market. We are probably not even 5% of the overall wet shaving market.
It is true as you said that most men see shaving as a nuisance they want done quickly. I even have a friend who hates shaving so much he makes just one pass with his Gillette Sensor, ATG only.
My guess is that it has already peeked out. Enjoy what you see now.

5 1,562
 01-10-2016, 01:09 PM
User Info
There was -- and it is still available by looking around -- a stainless injector, adjustable no less:  the PAL Adjustable.  Yes, the handle has some plastic, but the rest is all stainless.   And it adjusts fairly comfortably from reasonably mild to very aggressive.  It is in my daily rotation, and it competes very well with all the new SE razors, including the Cobra and the Mongoose.  But you have to use very good blades to get good performance:  I use NOS Schick Plus Platinum.

Now if this renaissance manages to get some blade manufacturers to produce first-class injector blades, we are really going to be happy.

Stanley

2 155
 01-10-2016, 01:17 PM
User Info
I am excited about all the new razors in the market. I joined the forum using only vintage gillettes and this has been an amazing journey making new friends and trying new razors and soaps. Now I am looking forward to all the new products, just wish I had more funds alotted to my shaving budget.

30 470
 01-10-2016, 01:29 PM
User Info
Personally I love seeing all these new razors, but I don't think they are being used to introduce new people to shaving but rather we as collectors are buying them all up. I for one haven't had the money at the right time to be able to purchase a Pils, or wolfman, or Cobra, or even a oneblade, I'd love to have them all but I'm not a rich man and I don't believe in credit cards...

I think newbs usually start out with affordable gear, EJ, Merkur, vintage Gillette, etc. That way if they hate it they're not out 200-300$...

Do i think more people will come into our niche? Yes I do. But I don't think the masses will ever grasp it and what it means to slow down and have fun shaving.

The only way I see DE let alone SE razors making a huge comeback with the masses is if Gillette reintroduced one and marketed the heck out of it... You have to have this latest coolest razor, you'll be hipster... Etc. I wouldn't want that to happen honestly because then they'll drive the prices of blades up I'd bet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 342
 01-10-2016, 09:49 PM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 03:21 PM)SRNewb Wrote: I do not believe "the masses" will ever truly embrace wet shaving. They cannot even sit through a 10 minute Youtube video, and have invented a new language of acronyms to avoid having to type simple phrases like "you are" (ur). They have neither the time nor the patience en masse for something like wet shaving.
MHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

There has been a safety razor niche since the 90's, about the time the cartridge razors really took off. But it has only been in the last few years that an explosion of new safety razors have come to market. All of these new companies and artisan producers would not have survived in the early 2000's, as there simply are not enough 'collectors' to satisfy this demand.

Case in point... The Art of Shaving claims "sales of safety razors have increased 1,000 percent from 2009 to 2014"

A 1,000% increase in safety razor demand in the last five years simply cannot be attributed to 'collectors' or 'hobbyists'. The numbers are exploding and will continue to grow. Why is this?

I agree with the point of view that says that most men find shaving to be a chore and a nuisance. Most men want a shave that is (in descending importance, price being excluded from present consideration):

1. Convenient and quick with minimal maintenance

2. Safe (the least amount of cuts, weepers, and irritation)

3. Close (BBS or DFS if possible)

One simply should consider the history of the last couple hundred years of shaving to see where we have been and where we are going.

In the 1800's, a straight razor shave was a man's only option. While the style of the times had a small part to play, you will notice pictures in this time period showing many more men wearing beards. Straight razor shaving arguably requires the highest amount of skill, and contains plenty of dangers. Maintaining a straight razor also requires time and skill, sharpening and honing... and barber shaves eventually get expensive, and are not always convenient.

So, in comes the invention of the safety razor. Much safer, and certainly more convenient. Now, we look at old pictures of men from the early 1900's. Not nearly as many beards.

Throughout the 20th century there has been many advances in shaving technology in an effort to deliver a better result with one or more of the 3 points mentioned above. These include disposable blades (point 1), injectors (point 1), stainless steel blades (points 1,2, & 3), electric razors (points 1 & 2), a pivoting head (point 2), and carts and disposables (points 1 & 2).

The reason why electrics and carts are as big as they are is because they are so superior at convenience and safety (points 1 & 2). But in doing so, they have sacrificed closeness (point 3). Men might desire convenience and safety over closeness, but the fact that closeness (point 3) is lacking is driving many men back to safety razors, and is also spurring new razor makers to develop the technology to better accomplish all three points.

Consider 2 examples: the Feather AS-D2 and the OneBlade. Both of these razors deliver some of the safest, closest shaves you are likely to find, with minimal to no irritation. Changing the blade on a OneBlade is easier than changing a cart, and it incorporates a pivot, which makes the razor even safer and allows the best success even with minimal technique.

At the rate new companies are springing up, how long will it take before a plastic handled AS-D2 or OneBlade is made to sell for $40 or less in your local Walmart? And with the amount of innovation out there, who knows what newer technologies will be coming on the market to better satisfy all three points!

I'm not sure what new technology or designs may be coming, but I do know this... men will happily give up their carts and electrics if a razor will be offered that is just as convenient and safe, but gives a closer, smoother shave.

And guess what gents... that is already starting to happen!

2 308
 01-10-2016, 09:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-10-2016, 09:49 PM)Len Wrote: At the rate new companies are springing up, how long will it take before a plastic handled AS-D2 or OneBlade is made to sell for $40 or less in your local Walmart?

No thank you. That would be like polyester becoming the rage again.

46 18,607
 01-10-2016, 09:58 PM
User Info
I'm much happier with the higher quality stainless steel models myself, Phil, as you are. But this is more about the larger mass of shavers, and how the entire industry is changing.

If you were one of them, would you stay with your cart or electric, or take a plastic handled AS-D2, or similar?

2 308