01-03-2016, 03:02 PM
User Info
For those of you who have tried both, which scent do you like better? Are they very similar? I have had Mikes Lime which I enjoyed a lot, but I'm thinking of giving MW Lime a spin too.

46 1,102
 01-03-2016, 04:21 PM
User Info
MW'S hand down! Perhaps the most authentic rendition of Lime I've ever experienced. Incredibly invigorating and juicy like a freshly squeezed Lime. 

Mikes Lime is pleasant but has a funny/odd note in the the background that intereferes with the naturalness of the scent.

65 799
 01-03-2016, 05:20 PM
User Info
Thank you sir! I have been sold!

46 1,102
 01-03-2016, 06:16 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Scent wise, Mystic Waters. Most of Michelle's scents are hard to beat. They are both great performing soaps.

38 5,112
 01-03-2016, 06:29 PM
User Info
Never used Mystic Water's Lime. But I can tell you that Mike's Lime smells just like a green life saver. I love the scent and the performance. I will certainly give MW lime a shot as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 315
 01-03-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
I much prefer Mystic Water's interpretation.

83 21,077
 01-03-2016, 07:09 PM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 06:49 PM)celestino Wrote: I much prefer Mystic Water's interpretation.

Anything else would be quite surprising, my dear friend

24 5,969
 01-03-2016, 07:34 PM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 07:09 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-03-2016, 06:49 PM)celestino Wrote: I much prefer Mystic Water's interpretation.

Anything else would be quite surprising, my dear friend

Actually, there are a few scents that I greatly adore and they are just as great as my favourite Mystic Water scents. Shy

83 21,077
 01-03-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
I couldn't get MW to lather so mikes by default. 

By the way nice zinger Claus

63 1,720
 01-03-2016, 07:46 PM
User Info
I didn't care for MW lime. It's decent, but it smells more like lemon to my nose, and the scent of the soap base seems to get in the way of the overall fragrance. For reference, my favorite lime soaps/creams are Trumper's and Castle Forbes.

3 1,484
 01-04-2016, 03:10 AM
User Info
I also find MW lime to smell very sweet and more like lemons than limes. Not that I think that Mike's is the perfect lime scent but I prefer it to MW. One thing that I think Mike's has on MW is the slight bitter note that is present, I find it to smell very similar to lime rinds.

74 2,274
 01-04-2016, 03:14 AM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 07:37 PM)NSmalls Wrote: I couldn't get MW to lather so mikes by default. 
You owe it to yourself to figure out MW lathering Nick. It is a spectacular lather that really nourishes the skin and rinses off of brushes and razors so cleanly that I never notice any soapy residue. Give it another go until you sort it out.

74 2,274
 01-04-2016, 06:52 AM
User Info
(01-03-2016, 07:46 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: I didn't care for MW lime. It's decent, but it smells more like lemon to my nose, and the scent of the soap base seems to get in the way of the overall fragrance. For reference, my favorite lime soaps/creams are Trumper's and Castle Forbes.

MW has a bit of May Chang in it, which is lemony, but it's really there to anchor the lime scent.  The scent is just as strong on the last use as it is on the first, and it lasts throughout the whole shave without dissipating at all, which is a bit rare for lime scents.  

Trumper's isn't a pure lime at all; a fair bit of floral in it.  A lot of people like Castle Forbes, but to my nose there is an off-putting underlying scent that smells kind of like shoe polish.  I enjoy the scent of Trumper's lime cream a lot, but MW is a lot more pure lime than Trumpers.

2 1,461
 01-04-2016, 08:24 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Of the 2 choices I prefer Mike's. 

That being said, Meissner Dark Limes is my favorite lime soap. 

Ron

168 1,386
 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 06:52 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(01-03-2016, 07:46 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: I didn't care for MW lime. It's decent, but it smells more like lemon to my nose, and the scent of the soap base seems to get in the way of the overall fragrance. For reference, my favorite lime soaps/creams are Trumper's and Castle Forbes.

MW has a bit of May Chang in it, which is lemony, but it's really there to anchor the lime scent.  The scent is just as strong on the last use as it is on the first, and it lasts throughout the whole shave without dissipating at all, which is a bit rare for lime scents.  

Trumper's isn't a pure lime at all; a fair bit of floral in it.  A lot of people like Castle Forbes, but to my nose there is an off-putting underlying scent that smells kind of like shoe polish.  I enjoy the scent of Trumper's lime cream a lot, but MW is a lot more pure lime than Trumpers.

Trumper's has a smidge of floral in it, true, but this is one of the reasons why I like it. It captures the essence of the whole element and reminds me of a combination of the smell of a lime tree and freshly cut limes. As for the other one, I'm guessing that the scent you detect in Forbes as shoe polish is probably the acidic edge of the lime essential oil, which is one of the most authentic on the market. I've heard some lime fragrances compared to the smell of shoe polish before.

Honestly I don't get lime from MW. It's far too sweet to register as lime to my nose, and the base of the soap interferes and clashes with the scent. I realize why May Chang was used in the MW soap (lime oils are fleeting), but litsea cubea just doesn't smell like lime to me. I have a wonderful perfume (Roja Dove's Vetiver Extrait) that has a strong note of litsea cubea, and in that fragrance it really comes across as a slightly more acidic and slightly more bitter lemon (while still retaining the sweet characteristics). This is roughly what I detect in MW's rendition of lime.

3 1,484
 01-04-2016, 04:08 PM
User Info
Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. Very informative!

46 1,102
 01-05-2016, 01:33 PM
User Info
NeoXerxes, thanks for your explanations.  

What I have found over the years is that people can perceive smells differently from one another, even when they are standing side-by-side in the same room and are smelling the exact same soap.  For example, my nose is extremely sensitive to any tiny hint of smoke in an otherwise grassy vetiver, even if it is a minor player in the overall scent profile of a soap.  Neither my wife nor my son can detect the scent I am describing, even if I ask them to concentrate on it.  

My guess is that your nose is similarly overly sensitive to the May Chang.  To me, Mystic Water lime smells just like a lime after I cut through it with a paring knife.  I can't make out any lemon at all.  And, to my nose, the "shoe polish" note in Castle Forbes pretty much dominates the lime to the point that I just can't use it.  I realize that it's scented entirely with lime essential oil, but that one component of the smell really jumps out at me.  

So, I think when it comes to lime scents, to each his own.  I think MW is the purest lime scent on the market, but to you it has a lemony scent.  I think CF smells like shoe polish, but to you it smells like fresh limes.  Our noses are just smelling them differently.  

I guess the one thing we agree on completely is that Trumper's lime cream (never tried the lime soap) has a wonderful scent that we both enjoy.  

Cheers.

2 1,461
 01-05-2016, 01:46 PM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 01:33 PM)kingfisher Wrote: NeoXerxes, thanks for your explanations.  

What I have found over the years is that people can perceive smells differently from one another, even when they are standing side-by-side in the same room and are smelling the exact same soap.  For example, my nose is extremely sensitive to any tiny hint of smoke in an otherwise grassy vetiver, even if it is a minor player in the overall scent profile of a soap.  Neither my wife nor my son can detect the scent I am describing, even if I ask them to concentrate on it.  

My guess is that your nose is similarly overly sensitive to the May Chang.  To me, Mystic Water lime smells just like a lime after I cut through it with a paring knife.  I can't make out any lemon at all.  And, to my nose, the "shoe polish" note in Castle Forbes pretty much dominates the lime to the point that I just can't use it.  I realize that it's scented entirely with lime essential oil, but that one component of the smell really jumps out at me.  

So, I think when it comes to lime scents, to each his own.  I think MW is the purest lime scent on the market, but to you it has a lemony scent.  I think CF smells like shoe polish, but to you it smells like fresh limes.  Our noses are just smelling them differently.  

I guess the one thing we agree on completely is that Trumper's lime cream (never tried the lime soap) has a wonderful scent that we both enjoy.  

Cheers.

You're quite right - people perceive smells differently. This is one reason why I have argued elsewhere that there can be no reasonable ways of producing objective evaluations of fragrances.

Still, I think that there is value in offering these opinions publicly and discussing them in a comparative fashion. Readers who have never experienced a scent that is being discussed are then able to see and evaluate how experiences differ. All of these subjective elements are further exacerbated by differences in the associations that exist in our scent memories. Knowing the tastes of others also helps. For instance, I know a few folks on the fragrance forums that tend to enjoy the same notes that I do, which means that if they enjoy a certain perfume I am likely to also enjoy it.

Though I'm not offended in the slightest, I'd hesitate to accept as true the suggestion that my nose might be overly sensitive to May Chang. I'm not discounting that proposition entirely, but I think that it's equally likely that you are to some extent anosmic to that same note. Who knows, right? There's no way to objectively adjudicate between these competing claims. And this is yet another reason why discussing differences in our perceptions is worthwhile  Smile .

Cheers mate.

3 1,484
 01-05-2016, 08:56 PM
User Info
It's true that people perceive scents differently so I can't enter into the debate other than to say that I use cold pressed lime peel essential oil in the soap, with a very small amount of litsea cubeba eo as an anchor for the citrus.  It is my understanding that it is the distilled version of lime essential oil that has the sweeter scent, which is sometimes described as candy-like.

0 280
 01-05-2016, 10:11 PM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 08:56 PM)Mystic Water Wrote: It's true that people perceive scents differently so I can't enter into the debate other than to say that I use cold pressed lime peel essential oil in the soap, with a very small amount of litsea cubeba eo as an anchor for the citrus.  It is my understanding that it is the distilled version of lime essential oil that has the sweeter scent, which is sometimes described as candy-like.

Thanks for the information Michelle! Very helpful and knowledgable reply, as always. It could very well be the type of lime essential oil that is used. I have no doubt that your soap contains the ingredients as you describe, so I'm betting that must be it. I do get the candy vibe, but to my nose it comes across as more lemon than lime, albeit with a very slightly candied sweet edge (somehow I detect the itsea cubea). On that note, I recently recommended it and passed along a sample to a shaver who enjoys lemony fragrances (he wears Profumum Roma's Acqua Viva regularly) and he likes it very much.

Performance of the Lime soap is impeccable, naturally.

3 1,484