01-03-2016, 10:21 PM
User Info
I've enjoyed using my new Plisson #12 European White with Ebony handle. The performance is very very good. My only criticism is that the tips were not as soft as I was expecting. The performance is so good I continue to use the brush and have noticed that the knot is continuing to soften and the tips look like they're splitting and curling a bit. 

Anyone have experience with Plisson EW knots needing an extended break in?

10 1,653
 01-04-2016, 12:29 AM
User Info
I would encourage you to keep with it and continue the  use with it. I recently had a size 12 graded Plisson "High Mountain White" which was probably from around 2014. It was probably the second to last in appeal of all the high mountain white grades of knots I have tried. But It performed well in terms of construction. Really just wanted higher quality hair in it.

But to address a comment you made. Some of the hair in my brush was so fine that it did have some split ends similar to what you see more frequently in boar bristles. Some of the ends did also curl.

What do you like about breaking in yours?

79 1,298
 01-04-2016, 08:08 AM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 12:29 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I would encourage you to keep with it and continue the  use with it. I recently had a size 12 graded Plisson "High Mountain White" which was probably from around 2014. It was probably the second to last in appeal of all the high mountain white grades of knots I have tried. But It performed well in terms of construction. Really just wanted higher quality hair in it.

But to address a comment you made. Some of the hair in my brush was so fine that it did have some split ends similar to what you see more frequently in boar bristles. Some of the ends did also curl.

What do you like about breaking in yours?

I'll keep using it as I do enjoy the performance. There is definitely an improvement in face feel each use...

10 1,653
 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have sold most of my modern EW and HMW brushes because I prefer completely scritch-free brushes.  I have found that if I use my Joris EW for a few days in a row the brush tips seem softer, but I believe this is more of a subconscious tolerance that builds up because after going to other brushes and back the scritch is there the same as before.  I have similar experiences with Rooney Finest, Simpson Manchurian and Shavemac D01 2-band and plan on always having at least one of each in the collection.

139 2,680
 01-05-2016, 07:19 AM
User Info
Plisson for some years does not offer the former hair excellence.

0 142
 01-06-2016, 11:29 AM
User Info
Today's face lather was very good. Just the slightest hint of prickle...great performance. I wonder if it's as soft as it will get?

10 1,653
 01-07-2016, 06:59 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I have an EW #12. I have had it for 2+ years now. It is never going to be a "soft" brush, but it is a great knot. Firmer, but not scritchy. Just enjoy it!

[Image: SOTD%2011-15-15_zpsqewa5d3w.jpg]

4 2,696
 03-06-2017, 09:48 PM
User Info
(01-06-2016, 11:29 AM)number six Wrote: Today's  face lather was very good. Just the slightest hint of prickle...great performance. I wonder if it's as soft as it will get?

I have a Plisson European White coming in the mail this weak. I think this is the 2nd or 3rd EW I have tried and this one might be about 8 years old and although isn't vintage, I have a feeling it will be of quality hair and sorting.

Are you still using the Plisson number six?

79 1,298