01-04-2016, 08:06 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I was at a local antique store yesterday and they had some Gem SE razors. After doing a search, I have determined that one of them was a Gem G Bar ($20) and the other was a Gem Push Button ($12). I have not bought either one yet, but they were both in good condition. I have never shaved with an SE, so I'm not sure what to expect. What are the differences between them?

3 561
 01-04-2016, 08:12 AM
User Info
The heads are very similar. Both are mild for a SE razor, but that would be slightly mid aggressive in the DE razor world. They're good entry level razors. The technique required to use them is similar enough to what you're accustomed to as to not be a problem for most folks. Pretty much just lay the head of the razor against your skin and make the stroke. Good lather, no pressure, they all apply.

Don't use hardware store blades.

32 6,459
 01-04-2016, 08:18 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-04-2016, 08:12 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The heads are very similar. Both are mild for a SE razor, but that would be slightly mid aggressive in the DE razor world. They're good entry level razors. The technique required to use them is similar enough to what you're accustomed to as to not be a problem for most folks. Pretty much just lay the head of the razor against your skin and make the stroke. Good lather, no pressure, they all apply.

Thanks.  I have a Wolfman and an Above The Tie M2, so they sound like they would be about the level of aggressiveness that I would want.  Would you recommend one over the other?

3 561
 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM
User Info
When it comes to razors, and you can afford it, get both - you can always lists the one you like the least on the B/S/T Smile

3 4,510
 01-04-2016, 08:58 AM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 08:47 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: When it comes to razors, and you can afford it, get both - you can always lists the one you like the least on the B/S/T Smile

+1 personally I prefer a TTo single edge just because of the ones I have the ttos hold the blade more secure. Not saying that they others have blade chatter or there are issues ,I just prefer a tto.

The problem with single edge razors is your probably going to love it when you use it. As long as your technique is down with these and you have a quality blade (gem stainless at your local pharmacy) then the shaves from a SE out shave many hell I'll say most if not all of my DE razors.

OP I've got atts,wolfmans,mongoose,you name it I've got it or had it . If I told you my 10 dollar SE shaves better than my 185 de would you believe me? Well it does ,the only de that shaves anything ccode to an se as far as the blade being rigid is the wolfman. 

Like Brian said just keep the head of the razor almost against your face, when you find the angle you'll know it. I'd get the heaviest razor you can find and reason being is with some single edges you don't haft to use pressure against the skin as in pushing down, but for me sometimes I do haft to help the razor move down. I only have this issue with one razor and it's the smallest SE I own

3 1,356
 01-04-2016, 09:49 AM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 08:58 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 08:47 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: When it comes to razors, and you can afford it, get both - you can always lists the one you like the least on the B/S/T Smile

+1 personally I prefer a TTo single edge just because of the ones I have the ttos hold the blade more secure. Not saying that they others have blade chatter or there are issues ,I just prefer a tto.

The problem with single edge razors is your probably going to love it when you use it. As long as your technique is down with these and you have a quality blade (gem stainless at your local pharmacy) then the shaves from a SE out shave many hell I'll say most if not all of my DE razors.

OP I've got atts,wolfmans,mongoose,you name it I've got it or had it . If I told you my 10 dollar SE shaves better than my 185 de would you believe me? Well it does ,the only de that shaves anything ccode to an se as far as the blade being rigid is the wolfman. 

Like Brian said just keep the head of the razor almost against your face, when you find the angle you'll know it. I'd get the heaviest razor you can find and reason being is with some single edges you don't haft to use pressure against the skin as in pushing down, but for me sometimes I do haft to help the razor move down. I only have this issue with one razor and it's the smallest SE I own

I agree with Otis. I recomend that you keep your eye's open for a Micromatic Bullet Tip, or a Clog Proof. Once you try one of these you can progress to the Open Comb Micromatic. Lot's of under ten dollar Micromatics on Ebay.

Clayton

6 627
 01-04-2016, 10:20 AM
User Info
+1 on the Micromatic Clug Pruf;  think it'll makes for a very nice introduction to the world of single edge shaving, as long as you remember to watch the angle.

3 4,510
 01-04-2016, 11:16 AM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 08:18 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 08:12 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The heads are very similar. Both are mild for a SE razor, but that would be slightly mid aggressive in the DE razor world. They're good entry level razors. The technique required to use them is similar enough to what you're accustomed to as to not be a problem for most folks. Pretty much just lay the head of the razor against your skin and make the stroke. Good lather, no pressure, they all apply.

Thanks.  I have a Wolfman and an Above The Tie M2, so they sound like they would be about the level of aggressiveness that I would want.  Would you recommend one over the other?

I've never used a push button so I don't have  enough information to make an informed suggestion. The G-bar would probably be the heavier razor if that makes a difference.

32 6,459
 01-04-2016, 01:39 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I looked on the big auction site and I saw a lot of reasonably priced micromatics.  What's the difference in feel/performance between the clog pruf and bullet tips?  Being new to SEs, I would probably prefer the milder one to start.

3 561
 01-04-2016, 05:45 PM
User Info
The bullet tip is the mildest of the three, by a considerable margin. If you want to start with a milder one, this is your razor.

The Clog-Pruf and the Open Comb are both on the aggressive side. Most people consider the OC the more aggressive of the two, although there is some disagreement. The Clog-Pruf is generally regarded as the more forgiving.

These were quite popular, so they are cheap and plentiful on the 'Bay.

Trivia: The Micromatic Open Comb was the original TTO, pre-dating Gillette by several years.

--Bob

0 185
 01-05-2016, 03:10 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have owned the GBar and the Pushbutton. Just traded the G Bar, still have the other. They are both smooth shavers.
The Gbar is definitely heavier, but IMO they both shave very similar.
Also IMO, in goodcondition, that's a good price for each. They are fantastic razors to own and shave with, again, IMO.

2 1,683
 01-09-2016, 07:41 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I just bought an Ever-Ready 1912 on BST. Is it a good introduction to SE razors? I like the ornate handles, so I couldn't pass it up.

3 561
 01-09-2016, 10:55 AM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 07:41 AM)DayMan Wrote: I just bought an Ever-Ready 1912 on BST. Is it a good introduction to SE razors? I like the ornate handles, so I couldn't pass it up.

The 1912 is the razor I always recommend as a first SE to anyone who asks, so yes, it's a great way to start. The 1912 is generally considered to be right in the middle of the SE aggressiveness scale.

Your razor is most likely one of the Ever-Ready "Improved" models produced in the early 1930's.

Get yourself some Gem stainless steel blades and you're good to go. Just remember - shallow angle, no pressure. There is a short learning curve, and then you just may find yourself getting the best shaves of your life.

--Bob

0 185
 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 07:41 AM)DayMan Wrote: I just bought an Ever-Ready 1912 on BST. Is it a good introduction to SE razors? I like the ornate handles, so I couldn't pass it up.

Excellent pick up & it will be a great intro razor for you.

31 8,057
 01-09-2016, 11:54 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Are the uncoated stainless steel blades worth trying or should I jus get the ptfe coated blades?

3 561
 01-09-2016, 12:06 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Go to tryablade.com and get a couple of every SE blade they have. http://www.tryablade.com/singleedge

They are cheap, and then you will know what you like and what you don't. MHO.

2 1,683
 01-09-2016, 12:14 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 11:54 AM)DayMan Wrote: Are the uncoated stainless steel blades worth trying or should I jus get the ptfe coated blades?

(01-09-2016, 12:06 PM)SRNewb Wrote: Go to tryablade.com and get a couple of every SE blade they have. http://www.tryablade.com/singleedge

They are cheap, and then you will know what you like and what you don't. MHO.

This is the best advice for you for sure. In my own experience I found the PTFE coated to both perform better and last longer.

31 8,057
 01-09-2016, 03:01 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 11:54 AM)DayMan Wrote: Are the uncoated stainless steel blades worth trying or should I jus get the ptfe coated blades?

Many people (myself included) find the ptfe blades to be a little harsh for the first couple of shaves before they settle in. I haven't tried them but I would imagine that uncoated blades would be much worse in this respect. I'd stick with the ptfe blades (and indeed I did - I have over 700 of them Undecided  ).

--Bob

0 185
 01-30-2016, 07:16 PM
  • SciTX
  • Houston, TX Area
User Info
I can say that I have just jumped head first into the world of SE's....in the past few years, I have shaved extensively with DE's and straights....after a long time of straights only I went back to DE's to save some time shaving and on maintenance....then on a whim, I pulled out some SE's that I had received in a lot of razors I got on ebay...started with a Schick E2 injector and have moved on to a Ever Ready 1912 and now a Gem MM Clog Proof.

All I can say is that IMO...SE's are the best kept secret in the wet shaving world!!  I am getting shaves that are easily as close and as long lasting as my best straight shaves with the ease and convenience of a DE shave..the blades last for a long time and I really am just blown away on regular basis

People talk about aggressive DE's...well just try a SE and find out what aggressive, but not at the cost of comfort, really is.....IMO

I have since purchased a Pal adjustable that is awesome...a G1 and I1 Schick injectors and I still haven't tried the Gem MM open comb I have....I also just got in 200 Gem ptfe blades (that I'll try for the first time tomorrow) and a load of Chinese Schick injector blades....

Let's just say I am LOVING the SE world and I will be thinning out a load of straight and DE gear.....the shaves really are that good!!

0 62
 01-30-2016, 07:31 PM
User Info
Great to have you SciTX! Everything in your post I would echo. I've been using SEs exclusively for about 4 years now. I won't even consider allowing one of those flimsy ribbons of steel anywhere near my face again.

31 8,057