01-04-2016, 09:24 AM
User Info
Hi fellas,

Their are many threads about your favorite soap, brush or razor. My question today is what out of all the different items to get the job done do you find specifically enjoyable. Some of us are brush guys.. Myself included. I just find brushes to be artistic and a pleasure to use. Others collect razors as their niche item chosen to expand on others are soap guys. Tell me what item it is you tend to collect and why.. This should be fun Biggrin

20 1,375
 01-04-2016, 09:32 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I tend to be a generalist and buy whatever catches my fancy at the moment. Pretty much enjoy all aspects of shaving in no particular order of preference.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-04-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
Pretty much echo Bob. I have so many good soaps and creams that I probably won't buy any this year. I do covet a 2-band silvertip - Shavemac or Thater - and I have a yen to try a se Gem. My de rotation is solid, Ikon DFLC slant, fatboy, Standard and Muhle R41. Unless someone gives me a Pils, probably won't pick one up this year.

0 61
 01-04-2016, 10:20 AM
User Info
I have always been a brush guy and always will be. Not that I don't love all the other aspects of our hobby, but every brush will be slightly different and unique to its self.....just like people.

8 850
 01-04-2016, 11:11 AM
User Info
I wouldn't call myself a collector, if I don't use a piece of hardware for few months, it eventually gets sold or given to a co-worker looking for help.  I have 4 DE's, 6 Gem/Ever-Ready SE's, 6 Injectors and plenty of blades, soaps and creams for the next 4 years, but my weakness are Brushes.  I prefer Badger of all Grades from Black Badger to various grades of Silver-Tip, Vie-Long's Horse is my non-Badger choice, I use a couple of Omega Boars and a Syntheic Kabuki my 7 y/o has claimed with a Shavemac Silver-Tip Fan.  Oh I currently own 18 brushes, I'd like to get down to 10-12.

1 181
 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM
User Info
Brushes.  Definitely brushes.  But not so much for their looks (which are inspiring), but for performance.  I find that the right brush makes all the difference in creating good lather. So constantly on the lookout for the right brushes.

20 162
 01-04-2016, 03:25 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I guess my gear is pretty much 40-40-20; razors, brushes, soaps. I'm attracted to brushes and razors equally, and soaps to a lesser extent. It's all good fun, though. The biggest drag is not using my scented soaps as freely as I'd like. I use unscented 90% of the time.

7 2,359
 01-04-2016, 04:10 PM
User Info
I'm definitely a soap guy.  I have a few good razors that work for me.  7 brushes in boar, badger and synthetic that work for whatever I need.  But my time and money go to reading, sampling and buying soaps. 

But you got me thinking.  If I have 3 razors, 3 primary blades, 7 brushes and 20 soaps, then I could make 1,260 combinations of a shave setup.  I could go 4.5 years without duplicating a shave.  And my den is small-time around here.

In truth, I use 1 razor most of the time, 3 primary blades, 3 types of brushes (boar, badger and synth), and 10 brands of soap.  So that's 90 combinations to learn.  But many soaps are similar to lather, and with some soaps I only always use the same type of brush (e.g. synthetic for Mystic Waters).  So there's plenty to play with, but not an overwhelming amount to learn.

11 195
 01-04-2016, 04:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-04-2016, 04:10 PM)Mr_Houston Wrote: I'm definitely a soap guy.  I have a few good razors that work for me.  7 brushes in boar, badger and synthetic that work for whatever I need.  But my time and money go to reading, sampling and buying soaps. 

But you got me thinking.  If I have 3 razors, 3 primary blades, 7 brushes and 20 soaps, then I could make 1,260 combinations of a shave setup.  I could go 4.5 years without duplicating a shave.  And my den is small-time around here.

In truth, I use 1 razor most of the time, 3 primary blades, 3 types of brushes (boar, badger and synth), and 10 brands of soap.  So that's 90 combinations to learn.  But many soaps are similar to lather, and with some soaps I only always use the same type of brush (e.g. synthetic for Mystic Waters).  So there's plenty to play with, but not an overwhelming amount to learn.

Good post.

7 2,359
 01-04-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 03:25 PM)chazt Wrote: I use unscented 90% of the time.

Sensitive skin?

0 1,098
 01-04-2016, 07:14 PM
User Info
Definitely a brush guy. I'm also not a collector, everything gets used, otherwise sold. But the ones that remain are all quite special to me. After brushes, soaps and aftershave are tied, then razors and blades.

41 1,196
 01-04-2016, 08:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-04-2016, 06:19 PM)Shannon Wrote:

Sensitive skin?

Sensitive swmbo olfaction reaction. As a matter of fact I've been using Nil for the past 2 weeks. It's in a rotation with LPL, Valobra and B&M.

7 2,359
 01-04-2016, 10:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I enjoy several different brushes, but in reality, I can lather with about any brush. The same goes for soaps. I am always trying different soaps and scents, but I could also use two or three exclusively and not really miss the others. My passion is straights. I enjoy the history behind 150 year old straights, and wonder how many hands an older razor must have passed through before arriving at my doorstep. I enjoy several customs straights from modern artisan razor makers. I enjoy Japanese straights, and their hard steel that holds a sharp edge. Straights are beautiful to my eye, a piece of art. I also enjoy the feel of the stone, and enjoy picking out a favorite strop and stropping my razor before the shave. I don't get the kind of enjoyment from brushes or soaps as I do from my straights.

38 5,199
 01-04-2016, 10:33 PM
User Info
Brushes by a wide margin, followed by razors, soaps and aftershaves.

It would be greater fun if I could tolerate a wider selection of all of these, but my skin and nose won't let me. I do enjoy the small kit I keep around.

29 1,776
 01-05-2016, 06:22 AM
User Info
At one time I tried everything, I wouldn't call myself a collector though. I was more evaluating items and that meant "collecting". I also realized that I enjoy variety in my shave, something I hadn't had for MANY(!) years and turned shaving into just an act to get through. I decided that wouldn't happen again, so I wound up holding onto those items that I collected. Most of my razors are vintage because I like the aspect of "Who used this before me?", especially the 100 year old lather catchers.

Hmm, after writing and deleting a number of times this is the best I've been able to come up with. My "collecting" was more to find what I consider to be the "best of". I find my hand reaching for the same razor 9 times out of 10, but others do get used at times. I do use a different brush every day, but if I give myself the option of choosing a brush to use out of "order" I choose a synthetic. I use my soaps 9 times out of 10 because for me, they are simply the best. Using soaps out of the collection reinforce that and I go back to using my soaps. I can't remember the last time I used any after shave than my own. But I built them for myself and knew what I wanted. Whoops, the last "other" after shave I used was Musgo Real, but it's been quite awhile since I used it last.

So my collection is everything as seen from a users perspective and only to find what I really like. Yet I keep the other gear to use periodically.

32 6,471
 01-05-2016, 06:48 AM
User Info
I would have to say older razors but more to use then to just display.

4 475
 01-05-2016, 09:57 AM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 08:23 PM)chazt Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 06:19 PM)Shannon Wrote:

Sensitive skin?

Sensitive swmbo olfaction reaction. As a matter of fact I've been using Nil for the past 2 weeks. It's in a rotation with LPL, Valobra and B&M.

Sorry to hear about your scent problem. Glad that Nil is working for you though. As always, let us know if you have any feedback.

0 1,098
 01-05-2016, 10:16 AM
User Info
Great post!

We all seem to gravitate towards certain items in this hobby.  I've never had much interest in razors - I've tried a few but the ATT works best for me.  

I did go through a few brushes and have eight - 6 badger and 2 synthetic.  My goal was to limit it to 7 but I've been stuck on 8 for about a year.

Soaps and creams, unfortunately are another matter.  I couldn't tell you how many I now own (or have owned) and just went on a binge acquiring some artisan soaps I have yet to try.  What's great is, compared to brushes and razors, the price point for soaps is much easier on the wallet.

That said, I've also gotten into fragrances which I suppose is loosely connected to shaving.  As with soaps, I also have way to many fragrances.

33 548
 01-05-2016, 10:34 AM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 10:20 AM)Dinder1 Wrote: I have always been a brush guy and always will be. Not that I don't love all the other aspects of our hobby, but every brush will be slightly different and unique to its self.....just like people.

Signs011 , but the principal reason I gravitate towards custom brushes, especially, is for my photographs as they are the most photogenic of any of my gear. Thumbup

83 21,115
 01-05-2016, 11:08 AM
User Info
I first got into aftershaves.  So many makers, so many scents.  Then I started in on razors, so many vintage.  Then I joined Shave Nook and discovered some excellent brush makers, wood, resin and stone.  Now I feel like I've come full circle, and aftershaves are catching my eye again.

But first, I'm really trying to use one aftershave at a time until it's gone so I can open up some much needed counter space in my shaving den.

0 135