01-04-2016, 07:19 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
[Image: mO4yHKI.png]

Is your brush choice seasonal?

I've noticed I prefer a Chubby 3 Manchurian during the warm summer months. 
Currently it's summer in the southern hemisphere where I reside and the weather is consistently hot.
Prolonged dampness can be hazardous for brushes, but my CH3 easily dries in less than a day at this time of year.
When it's cold (not that it ever truly gets very cold here) I definitely shy away from the big brush.

[Image: OFxemsr.jpg]

In the winter months my brush of choice is a Duke 3 Manchurian.
Obviously there is a theme here (and many of you already know) - I really enjoy Simpson Manchurian.
I've also discovered I prefer a shorter and minimally shaped handle.
The significantly smaller knot has a much better chance of drying properly between uses and therefor seems a more appropriate choice.

[Image: 7EJMgvZ.png]

I have quite a variety of handle shapes and knot sizes (within my Simpson Manchurian collection), but I consistently favour theses two brushes.
I enjoy a variety of rod stock options within these 2 styles and often contemplate liquidating my other styles.
I know my brush choice has developed on the basis of handle ergonomics and face feel, but I believe that within this preference there exists a correlation with climatic conditions.
Throughout the years of using and collecting brushes I went through phases of preferring large knots then smaller and then large again.
I assumed at the time that my likes and dislikes were related to loading and control, but in hindsight I now believe my choices were also strongly influenced by brush care and maintenance.
Hence, consideration of drying times and weather obviously has an impact here.

I've discovered that my brush choice also has an impact on software. 
When employing a CH3, lather is made from vessels with a wide enough opening to load the brush directly.
In contrast, when I use the Duke 3 I subconsciously gravitate towards software that is packaged in smaller containers.
However, this is convenience based and has little to do with the seasons.

So back to the brush itself. 
I don't think I necessarily prefer one brush over the other. 
I could happily enjoy either all year round.
So I do think its has something to do with the weather!

Does anyone else feel the weather is influencing their choice of brush... ?

99 18,011
 01-04-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
Not really, Ben - but I can see your point.

I rotate constantly between a number of brushes, currently at 22 (that I use in regular rotation, or so.....)

I only shave 4 times a week, so between 22 brushes in rotation, each brush can dry on the shelf for at least 5 weeks before I use it again in my rotation.

24 6,021
 01-04-2016, 07:39 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Claus, I have quite a rotation too, but worry about any brush needing more than a day or two to dry thoroughly.

I don't have any issue with using a damp brush, but prolonged dampness concerns me.

99 18,011
 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM
User Info
Ben, I have never even contemplated this as I have never had an issue with even my larger brushes drying, sufficiently, in 2-3 days.
Furthermore, I have never been tempted to go back to smaller knots once I tried the larger ones...... unfortunately, for my wallet! Biggrin

83 21,115
 01-05-2016, 11:48 AM
User Info
Nope not at all for me. I just use whatever suits my fancy for the day. I prefer a larger knot and have never had a problem with them drying anytime of the year as they r inside. So the temp really never changes that the brushes dry in....

82 2,253
 01-05-2016, 12:37 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Not an issue. My brushes are all well ventilated and dry within 2-3 days for sure.

39 1,896
 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM
User Info
Yes, but perhaps not for the same reason. In the winter my skin is drier and more prone to irritation from any source. My Semogue boar has a lovely "scrub" in the summer which becomes an irritating and painful "scour" in the winter. I find myself reaching more for my Semogue Texugo or Romera Manchurian (and more recently a Sunrise synthetic) in cold months as my face can't handle the intense scrub of a boar.

16 1,027
 01-05-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
(01-04-2016, 07:37 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Not really, Ben - but I can see your point.

I rotate constantly between a number of brushes, currently at 22 (that I use in regular rotation, or so.....)

I only shave 4 times a week, so between 22 brushes in rotation, each brush can dry on the shelf for at least 5 weeks before I use it again in my rotation.

So what happened to other 103 brushes?  Tongue

63 1,721
 01-05-2016, 12:59 PM
User Info
To stay on topic I do not use any shaving products seasonally except for highly mentholated soaps/aftershaves and fragrances. 

All hardware gets used whenever I feel like it. 

I'm an equal opportunity employer :-)

63 1,721
 01-05-2016, 04:09 PM
User Info
All my brushes have giant knots , I never thought about season rotations. 
MY most used brushes are currently CH3 Manchurians and Super Badger. The CH3 Super seems to dry a bit faster than the Manchurian in my bathroom.

11 435
 01-05-2016, 04:12 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Ben I can't see the prices Smile

118 1,708
 01-05-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 12:58 PM)NSmalls Wrote:
(01-04-2016, 07:37 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Not really, Ben - but I can see your point.

So what happened to other 103 brushes?  Tongue

BST, friends & family - and reirement life in the drawer  Tongue

24 6,021
 01-05-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
I only keep brushes that I like a lot, and rotate through them evenly.   I live in Miami and have noticed that a Chubby 2 in Best or Super can take 2 days to fully dry.  I have enough brushes so that any one brush goes a long time before it's used again.  However, I too would be concerned about a brush being damp for prolonged periods of time.

51 6,454
 01-05-2016, 06:19 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-05-2016, 04:45 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: BST, friends & family - and reirement life in the drawer  Tongue

Yes, a strong component of my collection is earmarked for inheritance by my two sons. However, a few Manchurians maybe looking for new homes soon (Emperor 3, Colonel, M6... in fact anything not Chubby-esque in handle style... even M7 - if it didn't have my name on it!)

99 18,011
 01-05-2016, 09:13 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Ben,

I wouldn't care if your name were on it, haha!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

74 1,523
 01-05-2016, 09:20 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(01-04-2016, 07:19 PM)ben74 Wrote:
[Image: mO4yHKI.png]

Is your brush choice seasonal?

I've noticed I prefer a Chubby 3 Manchurian during the warm summer months. 
Currently it's summer in the southern hemisphere where I reside and the weather is consistently hot.
Prolonged dampness can be hazardous for brushes, but my CH3 easily dries in less than a day at this time of year.
When it's cold (not that it ever truly gets very cold here) I definitely shy away from the big brush.

[Image: OFxemsr.jpg]

In the winter months my brush of choice is a Duke 3 Manchurian.
Obviously there is a theme here (and many of you already know) - I really enjoy Simpson Manchurian.
I've also discovered I prefer a shorter and minimally shaped handle.
The significantly smaller knot has a much better chance of drying properly between uses and therefor seems a more appropriate choice.

[Image: 7EJMgvZ.png]

I have quite a variety of handle shapes and knot sizes (within my Simpson Manchurian collection), but I consistently favour theses two brushes.
I enjoy a variety of rod stock options within these 2 styles and often contemplate liquidating my other styles.
I know my brush choice has developed on the basis of handle ergonomics and face feel, but I believe that within this preference there exists a correlation with climatic conditions.
Throughout the years of using and collecting brushes I went through phases of preferring large knots then smaller and then large again.
I assumed at the time that my likes and dislikes were related to loading and control, but in hindsight I now believe my choices were also strongly influenced by brush care and maintenance.
Hence, consideration of drying times and weather obviously has an impact here.

I've discovered that my brush choice also has an impact on software. 
When employing a CH3, lather is made from vessels with a wide enough opening to load the brush directly.
In contrast, when I use the Duke 3 I subconsciously gravitate towards software that is packaged in smaller containers.
However, this is convenience based and has little to do with the seasons.

So back to the brush itself. 
I don't think I necessarily prefer one brush over the other. 
I could happily enjoy either all year round.
So I do think its has something to do with the weather!

Does anyone else feel the weather is influencing their choice of brush... ?
If there ever were a "brush nirvana," it would reside in your shave den.

38 5,201
 01-06-2016, 01:45 AM
User Info
Like " Ben74 " I too are quite seasonal with my shaving equipment ............. Not just Brushes (Badger grade) & three & two Band. Super or Best & style of handle / weight, along with the type of DE razor  SB or OC as well as the choice of DE blade & shaving cream.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 01-06-2016, 03:29 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I can't say that I've ever considered choosing my brush according to the season.  The only time I think about which brush to use because of the season is the snow brush for sweeping the snow and ice off my cars.

7 938
 01-06-2016, 03:49 AM
User Info
I never chose my brush according to the season, my choice is based on the sensitivity of my skin including razor and blade.

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 01-06-2016, 04:06 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've found my skin sensitivity changes with the seasons. In winter my skin is more prone to drying out and becoming irritated, so a softer brush may be more applicable, but seasonal skin sensitivity impacts more on my software choice (i.e. croaps and creams often leave my skin feeling more hydrated than hard soaps).

99 18,011